• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
From the Rebels, Semisi Tupou, Esei Ha'angana and Trevor Hosea have all been held back from the camp due to Senior Squad commitments, according to the Facebook post announcing Oli Barden and Sione Tui being part of the camp.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Watched a bit of sevens over the weekend, can anybody tell me whether Jeral Skelton is available for U/20world cup
According to Rugby.com.au, he is still only 19. So yes, he is technically eligible .
Don't think he has been named in any of the Junior Wallaby squads.
But being a Queenslander that is no obstacle to selection. He could parachute in at any time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
D1bjAhkU0AAjYkM.jpg:large

Dare I say it, but this is maybe our best draw for a while.

England are obviously the team to beat in our pool but Italy and Ireland are amongst the better sides generally to try and get bonus point wins against. Ireland were weak last year. Hopefully a realistic chance of making the semi finals.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Also thought Ireland might be weak after the Aus Schools/U18 beat their U19 last year.

They won the U20 6N on the weekend, though.

From a brief look, it seemed only 1 or 2 guys from the above mentioned U19 side played.

Must've been a 'B' team last year.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ireland played some of the best rugby of any side last year. Their attacking structures were amazing.

In the end there wasn't a huge difference in any of the sides. Ireland very lucky not to be relegated. Also unlucky they didn't finish higher.

I would not write them off. Particularly if they won the 6 Nations.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Ireland played some of the best rugby of any side last year. Their attacking structures were amazing.

In the end there wasn't a huge difference in any of the sides. Ireland very lucky not to be relegated. Also unlucky they didn't finish higher.

I would not write them off. Particularly if they won the 6 Nations.
Agreed. In the 6N they had a bonus point win over the big England boshers and most recently beat France to claim the title. One round still to go to potentially claim the Slam.

Doesn't mean they'll repeat that at the Worlds, but they ain't gonna be a gimme. The 3-pool JWC format is a bit of a lottery to get that 4th semifinal spot - a particularly elusive goal for Australia.

Controversial opinion here: In recent years some of the Aus teams aren't there to win it.

Either they know they aren't good enough, or are happy for old-style OS tour.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Controversial opinion here: In recent years some of the Aus teams aren't there to win it.

Either they know they aren't good enough, or are happy for old-style OS tour.

I don't know what else that were doing. But disagree.

I think the biggest problem is not fielding the best possible side and lack of preparation.

This years squad looks very strong, and if all the Super players are released they will have a real chance.

For what it's worth. Game 1 last year was an undetstrength team vs Wales. (some poor selections with available squad and no Super players) We lost a game we should have won.

Had we won that game we would have made 4th place and been in the playoffs.