• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Who do you think the strange selections are?

Given we're also playing Fiji and NZ and NZ is clearly the toughest game you'd have to assume this isn't the best starting XV.

I would agree with that. Similar to the Samoa game last year.

I think some on thees bench in this game will be certain starters for NZ.

I don't mind this 23. Not too far different to the pack I picked earlier in the thread.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
Disagree, I think Gilmore does know what he is doing.

He may favour the Brothers club more than he should.

But I do think he can coach.

Have to disagree and results show it. Between Gilmore and Thompson they have not achieved anything of note over the past 3 years. The whole program is biased....wait until we see who is on the plane for argentina....no doubt they have a couple of queenslanders lurking in the background...

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Have to disagree and results show it. Between Gilmore and Thompson they have not achieved anything of note over the past 3 years. The whole program is biased..wait until we see who is on the plane for argentina..no doubt they have a couple of queenslanders lurking in the background.

This is a trap for young players.

Gilmore's predecessor as head coach was not Thompson but Simon Cron.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
This is a trap for young players. Thompson hasn't coached them in the past 3 years.

Gilmore's predecessor as head coach was Simon Cron.

Ahhh yes it is. If you dont believe Thompson is pulling the strings in the background just look. He was in coaching box on tv last year as well as in France.. Cron was not involved. Thommo will be there again

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
As a former prop, I just want to voice my disgust at Angus Bell. He is way too slim. What is going on with this generation, he actually looks fit, outrageous. I mistook him for a centre. Surely his prop club license needs to be revoked.

he is very good. I think he is too tall for prop, and could end up as a 6/8.

Trebla

Frank Row (1)
Junior Wallabies played well yesterday but their superiority was mostly in the physical contest. The Japanese were well organised and the forwards were efficient and energetic. But they could not break a tackle or dominate in defence at all. So the bigger, stronger Aussies ran riot on the score board. Most of the tries came from broken play or individual brilliance. So they still need to work on building a combination. It was unclear who was calling the shots in yesterdays game, the 9, the 10, or the forwards. Everyone wanted a run to show the coaches what they had. As a result the ball almost never flowed along the back line to the wingers who both looked very good. A lot of skill-full players so the potential is there and the team is very promising. The next games, against Fiji and NZ will be very interesting and give a better idea of how the team is going.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Fraser McReight is seriously good - a future Richie McCaw at this rate. Excuse me for my ignorance as people who have seen more of him before probably know how good he is but it just looked like men against boys stuff yesterday from him at the breakdowns and his link play is phenomenal.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Junior Wallabies played well yesterday but their superiority was mostly in the physical contest. The Japanese were well organised and the forwards were efficient and energetic. But they could not break a tackle or dominate in defence at all. So the bigger, stronger Aussies ran riot on the score board. Most of the tries came from broken play or individual brilliance. So they still need to work on building a combination.
True, although the Aussie scrum looked weak at times against a much smaller Japanese eight.

It was unclear who was calling the shots in yesterdays game, the 9, the 10, or the forwards. Everyone wanted a run to show the coaches what they had. As a result the ball almost never flowed along the back line to
I dislike this - but it's a common Australian mode of rugby.

the wingers who both looked very good. A lot of skill-full players so the potential is there and the team is very promising. The next games, against Fiji and NZ will be very interesting and give a better idea of how the team is going.
Indeed

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Although part of a surprisingly weaker scrum, Will Harris looked immense in general play. Some of his tackles would have shaken the bones of the tackled player.