• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
"Several 2019 Junior Wallabies squad members have been selected by their Vodafone Super Rugby franchises to participate in the upcoming pre-season trials occurring around the country ahead of the commencement of the season on January 31. "

B

Bobby Sands

I hope Tane Edmed (NSW) makes it, he’s a seriously good young 10.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
"Several 2019 Junior Wallabies squad members have been selected by their Vodafone Super Rugby franchises to participate in the upcoming pre-season trials occurring around the country ahead of the commencement of the season on January 31. "

Interesting then that Tom Kibble is named but Will Roach isn’t

S

Show-n-go

Does anyone know what the policy is around super rugby players who are eligible to play u20’s being released for the tournament?

Personally I think any and all players who are eligible should be fronting up for the tournament, except for maybe petaia, although I would still like to see him play too

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It would be nice if our Super Rugby teams had the depth so that all the U20s players could just play the JWC... but they don’t and guys like Petaia will be crucial to the Reds, I see little point to then send him with the U20s

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Interesting then that Tom Kibble is named but Will Roach isn’t

Last year, there were a few players not named at this point who ended up going to the Junior World Cup.

Then again, Kibble has been playing Prem rugby for two years now and Roach only a couple of games off bench last year, so that may be a factor. Still a long way to go in selection process.

S

Show-n-go

It would be nice if our Super Rugby teams had the depth so that all the U20s players could just play the JWC. but they don’t and guys like Petaia will be crucial to the Reds, I see little point to then send him with the U20s

And that’s the sort of attitude that has ensured mediocrity at U20 level over the years

It’s becoming increasingly clear how vital u20 level is for both club and wallaby level, the second we’ve started giving the pathway the respect it deserves our results have improved and all of a sudden our current crop of young players coming through look really really promising

Representing your country needs to be put above club commitments, even if it’s U20, level. The positive impacts are so far reaching

*instill pride in the wallaby jersey early on
*locks players into the wallabies pathway
*gets future wallabies forming combinations and playing together
*super rugby u20 players would usually ensure better overall results, meaning more fans, winning culture, good experiences to keep players in union etc etc etc
*gives super rugby players real leadership opportunities and sets the bar for non-contracted players
*If u20 super players are unavailable for selection in super rugby it means more squad players are used creating depth at the professional level

On the downside

*super rugby sides may lose 2-3 players for.......2 games maybe? Not 100% on the time commitment - I know not everyone feels the same but I’d gladly lose 3 or so players from the tahs team to ensure success at u20 level

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
And that’s the sort of attitude that has ensured mediocrity at U20 level over the years

*super rugby sides may lose 2-3 players for...2 games maybe? Not 100% on the time commitment - I know not everyone feels the same but I’d gladly lose 3 or so players from the tahs team to ensure success at u20 level

Nah, Super Rugby and the JWC don’t clash in 2020..

Only thing these players will miss will be warm up tournaments, and so they should, Super Rugby should absolutely take precedence over trial matches and warm up tournaments.

S

Show-n-go

Nah, Super Rugby and the JWC don’t clash in 2020..

Only thing these players will miss will be warm up tournaments, and so they should, Super Rugby should absolutely take precedence over trial matches and warm up tournaments.

Well that’s great then

And agreed, give the non-super players a chance to show what they’ve got

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

It’s becoming increasingly clear how vital u20 level is for both club and wallaby level, the second we’ve started giving the pathway the respect it deserves our results have improved and all of a sudden our current crop of young players coming through look really really promising

Representing your country needs to be put above club commitments, even if it’s U20, level. The positive impacts are so far reaching

*instill pride in the wallaby jersey early on
*locks players into the wallabies pathway
*gets future wallabies forming combinations and playing together
*super rugby u20 players would usually ensure better overall results, meaning more fans, winning culture, good experiences to keep players in union etc etc etc
*gives super rugby players real leadership opportunities and sets the bar for non-contracted players
*If u20 super players are unavailable for selection in super rugby it means more squad players are used creating depth at the professional level

On the downside

*super rugby sides may lose 2-3 players for...2 games maybe? Not 100% on the time commitment - I know not everyone feels the same but I’d gladly lose 3 or so players from the tahs team to ensure success at u20 level
Agree. Unless you have a Wallabies cap (Petaia) then representing your country in U20’s should be mandatory.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think a lot of it has been a product of our lack of depth (and probably our lack of finances).

Our super squads just haven’t had the depth or consistency of results to release their young guns.

As our depth got worse, the problem has snowballed.

The good news is it seems our trajectory is now in the other direction. Although it’s even better news that the junior WC doesn’t clash and these young guys won’t have to miss out if their super teams won’t release them.

B

Bobby Sands

I’m sure Kibble isn’t too happy if he has to leave pre-season and Roach stays. QLD have four promising 7s on the books - which does not compute medium term.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yes bit odd that Tizzano who is a genuine #7 and was the back up to McReight last year at the junior RWC is playing trial games for the Tahs , but Kibble is going . Maybe the back row talent after Hooper is a little thin for the Tahs ?