• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Wilson

David Codey (61)
You've also got Fox sports getting an extra 10 million from the government for women's sport, it'd be in their interest to have something to show for it. That'd certainly help in selling the 3 part package.

The ratings for super rugby (both variants) have also been very good in the UK, there'd likely be interest for a complete package there as well.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don't know why Adam84 is being a hater. They'd easily get permission to bypass hotel isolation. It's not a big deal, especially if they're staying at an isolated location with dedicated training facilities.

B

Bobby Sands

Edmed is playing 10 for Eastwood in the Shute Shield. Will be interesting to see how he goes this season.

I am a big fan of his game and story.

I also rate Carter so it will be interesting.

This crop of U20s seem strong again.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I am a big fan of his game and story.

I also rate Carter so it will be interesting.

This crop of U20s seem strong again.

Hopefully it's an indicator of consecutive years of really strong U18s and U20s teams. I honestly believe you need to string together at least 3 or 4 years of Top 4 placing ideally finalists at the JWC to be a solid indicator of future success.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Don't know why Adam84 is being a hater. They'd easily get permission to bypass hotel isolation. It's not a big deal, especially if they're staying at an isolated location with dedicated training facilities.

no hate here... just being a realist given the current restrictions on international travel. You say It's not a big deal, I'm saying it is a big deal and is certainly not an easy task.

I've witnessed firsthand the bio-security measures and isolation requirements which are in place for travel between Australia - New Zealand even for those who are considered essential personal and have been in isolation at the departing country.

Whichever the travelling team is will face 6 weeks of hotel accommodation, meals and allowances. And pending what restrictions is placed on for the duration of the tournament, you will have the hosting team in isolation for anywhere up to 4 weeks as well. When you include staff and players, you're talking 60-70 people.

Cost wise, we're talking between $500-$600k just for these 2 teams to play each other 2 or 3 times.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
no hate here. just being a realist given the current restrictions on international travel. You say It's not a big deal, I'm saying it is a big deal and is certainly not an easy task.

I've witnessed firsthand the bio-security measures and isolation requirements which are in place for travel between Australia - New Zealand even for those who are considered essential personal and have been in isolation at the departing country.

We are talking about a few of months away and the situation may well have changed by then though, it would be a shame if they missed there opportunity because they didn't lay the ground work now, assuming it would be too hard.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
We are talking about a few of months away and the situation may well have changed by then though, it would be a shame if they missed there opportunity because they didn't lay the ground work now, assuming it would be too hard.

Sure, what I've said is based purely on what exists now, no-none knows what will exist in a few months time although the rise in COVID cases in Australia is ominous and doesn't give me the impression that travel restrictions between New Zealand and Australia are going to ease anytime soon.

I never said don't plan for it or just give up, I just believe its an unlikely outcome at this stage and anyone who thinks it would be simple and not that hard hasn't had to travel in the past couple of months or experienced the bio-security controls measures which are enforce.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Gilmore says they're working on an U20's Bledisloe curtain raiser, but it's last roll of the dice at this stage:

It is not just the Australian Test players who are being impacted by the pandemic. Junior Wallabies (under 20s) coach Jason Gilmore had hoped his side would be able to play an Oceania series later this year, but that has been cancelled.
“What we are hoping for is a last roll of the dice, whether we can get a curtain-raiser to a Bledisloe Cup game,” Gilmore, who has been seconded to the Waratahs as an assistant coach, said on Monday. “Otherwise it’s just club footy and Super Rugby this year.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...e/news-story/7326408687f73a334bee9b6616144180

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Former Wallaby Assistant Coach Nathan Grey has today been confirmed as the Junior Wallabies and National Academies Head Coach for 2021, and has named his opening camp squad in the process.

In this role, Grey worked with the Australian Men’s and Women’s Sevens programs as well as the Buildcorp Wallaroos, Junior Wallabies, State Under 19 Academies and the Australian Schools & Under 18s before the suspension of programs due to COVID-19.

The Coaching team of Shannon Fraser, Nic Henderson and Ben Mowen round out a strong support team for Grey, after former head coach Jason Gilmore was appointed as assistant coach of the NSW Waratahs during the 2020 Super Rugby AU season.

In his opening squad for 2021, Grey has named a wide selection of players from both Super Rugby programs and state academies, highlighting the depth of talent within the underage programs.

The Junior Wallabies are currently preparing for a hybrid of the Oceania U20s Championship, following World Rugby’s cancellation of the World Rugby U20s Championship later in the year.

They will assemble on March 14 for a seven-day camp on the Gold Coast.

2021 Junior Wallabies Camp 1 Squad:

Lachie Albert, Wests Lions, Brumbies
Tony Alofipo, Wests Lions, Brumbies
Reece Anapu, Palmyra, Western Force
George Blake, Bond University, Queensland Reds
Wilson Blyth, Bond University, Queensland Reds
Hugh Bokenham, Sydney University, NSW Waratahs
Dan Botha, Sydney University, NSW Waratahs
Adrian Brown, Eastwood, NSW Waratahs
Josh Canham, Harlequins, Melbourne Rebels
Nick Chan, Randwick, NSW Waratahs
John Connolly, Easts, NSW Waratahs
Ben Dowling, Randwick, NSW Waratahs
Lopeti Faifua, Wests Bulldogs, Queensland Reds
Tim Faingaanuku, Brothers, Queensland Reds
Josh Flook, Brothers, Queensland Reds
Langi Gleeson, Manly Marlins, NSW Waratahs
Carter Gordon, Melbourne Rebels
Mason Gordon, Melbourne Rebels
Mac Grealy, University of Queensland, Queensland Reds
Tom Hooper, Tuggeranong Vikings, Brumbies
Ngalu Kavapalu, Endeavour Hills, Melbourne Rebels
Patrick Maka, Tuggeranong Vikings, Brumbies
Alex Masibaka, Associates, Western Force
Hamish Moore, Eastern Suburbs, NSW Waratahs
Titi Nofoagatotoa, Brothers, Queensland Reds
Zane Nonggor, Bond University, Queensland Reds
Reesjan Pasitoa, Wests Lions, Brumbies
Billy Pollard, Uni Norths Owls, Brumbies
Lukas Ripley, University of Queensland, Queensland Reds
Will Roach, University of Queensland, Queensland Reds
Hamish Roberts, Bond University, Queensland Reds
Andrew Romano, University of Queensland, Queensland Reds
Dion Samuela, Bond University, Queensland Reds
Connor Seve, Wests Scarborough, Western Force
Papillon Sevele, Sydney University, NSW Waratahs
Lolesio Sione, Melbourne Unicorns, Melbourne Rebels
Keynan Tauakipulu, Wests Bulldogs, Queensland Reds
Sione Taufui, Sydney University, NSW Waratahs
Tiaan Taukipulu, Randwick, NSW Waratahs
Kalani Thomas, University of Queensland, Queensland Reds
Zephaniah Tuinona, Queanbeyan Whites, Brumbies
Mosese Tuipulotu, Eastern Suburbs, NSW Waratahs
Junior Tupou, Queanbeyan Whites, Brumbies
Glen Vaihu, Melbourne Rebels
Harry Vella, Brothers, Queensland Reds
Teddy Wilson, Eastern Suburbs, NSW Waratahs
Valance Yates, Randwick, NSW Waratahs

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Probably QLD biased because that's who I know more, but a potential team looks damn exciting:

15 Mac Grealy
14 Dion Samuela
13 Josh Flook
12 Reesjan Pasitoa
11 Glen Vaihu
10 Carter Gordon
9 Lachie Albert
8 Alex Masibaka
7 Will Roach
6 Zephaniah Tuinona
5 Wilson Blyth
4 Tom Hooper
3 Zane Nonggor
2 Billy Pollard
1 Harry Vella

and thats with the likes of Hugh Bokenham, Nick Chan, Kalani Thomas, Mosese Tuipulotu et al not there

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yes Reg, competition for spots is great.

Bokenham was great in the U18's, could even play 6.

George Blake and Tiaan Taukipulu are both great props and will definitely challenge for a starting spot. Tiaan actually played for NZ in the U18's in 2019 at 3. Went to IGS up until year 10 then moved back to NZ , played two years of NZ Schoolboys 2018/19and last year signed with the Tahs. Wonder how he will feel facing the Haka?

Thomas v Albert for 9 will be interesting as will the competition for 10 . Pasitoa played 10 in the U18's and is a very composed and confident flyhalf , but as you have selected , he is very capable at 12.

Exciting times to see the talent coming through.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yes Reg, competition for spots is great.

Bokenham was great in the U18's, could even play 6.

George Blake and Tiaan Taukipulu are both great props and will definitely challenge for a starting spot. Tiaan actually played for NZ in the U18's in 2019 at 3. Went to IGS up until year 10 then moved back to NZ , played two years of NZ Schoolboys 2018/19and last year signed with the Tahs. Wonder how he will feel facing the Haka?

Thomas v Albert for 9 will be interesting as will the competition for 10 . Pasitoa played 10 in the U18's and is a very composed and confident flyhalf , but as you have selected , he is very capable at 12.

Exciting times to see the talent coming through.

Tiaan played against his brother Keynan in the NZ vs Aus schoolboys match in 2019 as well. They’re one of two sets of brothers in the squa with the Gordon’s, and arguably could have been 3 if Dave Vaihu was selected alongside his brother Glen.