• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Unpopular opinion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
In Spanish the J is pronounced almost like a G in Afrikaans. Think "Gaffie du Toit" but a little less at the back of the throat in Spanish.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
My experience both here and on /r/rugbyunion (Reddit) is that All Blacks and their supporters are put on pedestals.

Pedestal? Ha!

Mine’s a little soapbox.

I built it all by myself but the fuckers a little bit slippery and I keep on falling off.

My unpopular opinion is that the AB’s haka these days is a sad old load of precious corporate wank. Oh shit wait on, that might be a popular opinion here on this, an Aus forum. Wft, this is harder than it looks! Fuck you Torpedo!

Redundant Loop of Maudlin Despair
Got a pic for this?

How will I know it when I see it?

HOW?

ahh.jpg

half

Alan Cameron (40)
The current ARU board is by light years the best board of any sporting body in Australia ever.

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
Rugby in this country is getting everything it deserves for it's attitude of "the right crowd and no crowding".

And the complete lack of ability to compete against New Zealand, failing to win even a game this year in Super Rugby and a Bledisloe in a decade and a half, is a direct commentary on the Rugby community and it's culture of exclusion and cronyism.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Pedestal? Ha!

Mine’s a little soapbox.

I built it all by myself but the fuckers a little bit slippery and I keep on falling off.

My unpopular opinion is that the AB’s haka these days is a sad old load of precious corporate wank. Oh shit wait on, that might be a popular opinion here on this, an Aus forum. Wft, this is harder than it looks! Fuck you Torpedo!

Got a pic for this?

How will I know it when I see it?

HOW?

ahh.jpg

You have seen it.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Rugby in this country is getting everything it deserves for it's attitude of "the right crowd and no crowding".

And the complete lack of ability to compete against New Zealand, failing to win even a game this year in Super Rugby and a Bledisloe in a decade and a half, is a direct commentary on the Rugby community and it's culture of exclusion and cronyism.

Think you've missed the mark here. These are pretty popular opinions.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rugby is a minority sport in Aus, always has been

I've been in OZ most of my life and this is my view. There's no lack in passion from its supporters, but even when it transitioned to the professional era, it was still viewed in media circles and the majority of sports fans I knew as an afterthought. Rugby has had some good times, but league, VFL/AFL have dominated.

Rugby is almost like basketball/NBL in Australia.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I've been in OZ most of my life and this is my view. There's no lack in passion from its supporters, but even when it transitioned to the professional era, it was still viewed in media circles and the majority of sports fans I knew as an afterthought. Rugby has had some good times, but league, VFL/AFL have dominated.

Rugby is almost like basketball/NBL in Australia.

I see the big difference between NZ & Aus rugby being that essentially NZ gets pretty well first choice of all the athletes for the ABs year in/year out whilst Aus gets a very filtered stream.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
"Kiwi's wanting to immigrate to Australia should have to undergo or comply with the same rigorous criteria as Syrians, Sri Lankans, Afganis etc etc etc prior to entry"

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Michael Hooper is leading Super Rugby with 16 turnovers won.
Second amongst forwards in run metres with 876 (17th overall) - Amenaki Mafi is first.
Leading all forwards in line breaks with 11 (9th overall).
Leading all players in dominant tackles made with 26 (next best 23).
6th in tackles made with 125.

Stats courtesy of alloutrugby.com

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Michael Hooper is leading Super Rugby with 16 turnovers won.
Second amongst forwards in run metres with 876 (17th overall) - Amenaki Mafi is first.
Leading all forwards in line breaks with 11 (9th overall).
Leading all players in dominant tackles made with 26 (next best 23).
6th in tackles made with 125.

Stats courtesy of alloutrugby.com

This might be an unpopular opinion because I've heard other Tahs forwards names bandied around, but from my armchair, Hooper has been the only Tahs forward that has turned up game in game out this year. By and large the others have only been average or below.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This might be an unpopular opinion because I've heard other Tahs forwards names bandied around, but from my armchair, Hooper has been the only Tahs forward that has turned up game in game out this year. By and large the others have only been average or below.

Tolu Latu would be the only other one I'd name as being consistently good but his impact was bigger in the first few weeks than it has been in the last few.

Hooper is by far and away the best Waratahs player this season.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The future of the game in Australia, success or failure, will be based primarily on the strength of the Shute Shield competition.

It is by far the strongest club competition in the nation and could become the saviour of the professional game (ref: the AFL had its roots in the VFL, the NRL had its roots in the Sydney club competition).

Some tough decisions would be required, but then again, I think most of us accept that these are very tought times.

Status
Not open for further replies.