• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Unpopular opinion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sadly agree that Higgers great soup player but not great test player.

I keep hoping he proves this wrong (being not a great test player) but he certainly has had enough chances....next?

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
If Henry Speight were a superhero he would be The Incredible Shrinking Man. He just seems smaller than I remember him from previous years. Maybe it's relevant to the size of the fro. The larger the fro the smaller his body seems?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
League players like Hunt who come over to our game really understand the failings of our game....

Read: Hunts comments on why league wins at grass roots level....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
We actually should be spending more time recruiting league players who could play our game as that is where the real athletes and talent is on scale level as they are winning the grass roots war.

Rugby traditionalists who think otherwise are the problem with our code...as war/ competition on talent...not where you come from (morons who think otherwise destroy opportunities for rugby to move forward beyond our own incompetent ARU....sorry latter comment clear popular opinion)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Another unpopular opinion....I ABSOLUTELY love it when high class league athletes like Irael Folau and Karmichael Hunt come over from league and union AND succeed...

WHY? As they are high class athletes and encourage other HIGH CLASS LEAGUE PLAYERS who could succeed 'potentially' in our game to make the switch.

League has higher proportion of top line athletes who could succeed in our game where game is reasonably similar for many positions for the elite to transition....as simple reason league is a) bigger than union in this country and b) has the money

tragic

John Solomon (38)
The wallabies are not soft, lacking aggression, show ponies or poorly coached.
Being photographed working out in the gym or having a beer after a game is not the issue.
Supporters are a fickle bunch and need to give themselves an uppercut.
The wallabies are the number 4 ranked team in the world playing like the number 4 ranked team.
There are structural issues in the ARU and grass roots that underly the current decline.
The players are working hard and hurt just as much as the top 3 sides when they lose. They've just had more practice lately.
Unfortunately the talent is just not there at the moment no matter how much you shuffle the chairs on the deck.

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)
The wallabies are not soft, lacking aggression, show ponies or poorly coached.
Being photographed working out in the gym or having a beer after a game is not the issue.
Supporters are a fickle bunch and need to give themselves an uppercut.
The wallabies are the number 4 ranked team in the world playing like the number 4 ranked team.
There are structural issues in the ARU and grass roots that underly the current decline.
The players are working hard and hurt just as much as the top 3 sides when they lose. They've just had more practice lately.
Unfortunately the talent is just not there at the moment no matter how much you shuffle the chairs on the deck.

also going off topic to make sense for a second, our statistics are going to be more exaggerated in both Super Rugby and international rugby against the kiwis because we play them more than any other provincial or international team.

They're on another level and we get exposed to it more than others.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Money. I could have told anybody that. Mind you, I did play junior league.

This is morphing into a popular opinion thread. Has anyone argued that the ARU is NOT losing the fight to multiple sports in the junior ranks?

I think the unpopular part is that a current player has said so publicly. Well, it may be unpopular at ARU HQ.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Today, I think I experienced much of what is wrong with junior rugby in Sydney. My boy plays rugby and soccer on Saturdays so we get the 'experience' of both sports. I don't think he will be a superstar but he scores plenty of try's and goals each week. The main problem with junior rugby (and all sports) is one sided results. It helps no one including the winning side. The comp rules are that rugby clubs are not allowed to grade their sides but it is clear that clubs/parents/coaches are gathering the best players they can find to form selected teams. Then the organisers of the comp allow the best teams from 1 club play the worst team from another, which creates 1 sided results. It's like first grade playing third or fourth grade in the seniors, which is ridiculous. Compare this to my boys soccer team which can gets regraded up and down every 4 weeks, so almost all games are competitive and exciting to play and watch. I'm sure the junior rugby clubs would love some money from the ARU, but the problem with junior rugby is the organisers, ie the sydney junior rugby who don't implement and enforce good policy. Then the junior clubs/coaches/parents get away with doing whatever they want. These people need to remember that it is about the kids and not themselves.
This is a separate issue and has never happened before - my wife is away and I wanted to send her some video of our boy playing rugby. I was told to stop filming because I didn't have the permission from the opposition players and coach!
So our 'rugby experience' today was awful - we got flogged (after we flogged another team last week) and had to deal with unfriendly and overly competitive people who are allowed to act that way by the sydney junior rugby. I appreciate that I'm whinging but 'rugby people' from the ARU level down to junior rugby, need to think about the 'experience' they are creating for junior players and their families because it's much worse (sometimes, not all the time) than soccer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
With Kiwi's anyway.
Crockett bores in, his favourite tactic for his first scrum when coming off the bench and thus normally gets away with it or just a warning.
Then after the damage is done, in following scrums straightens up.
No surprise that a dominate or at least equal scum suddenly goes backward.
Ref WF in Christchurch this year and the BIL in Auckland yesterday.

When Crockett ran on I said the BLI scrum are F###ed here unless they spoke to Piper before the match or the Capt warns him, clearly neither happened imo.
Suddenly a good game at 13-8 became 20-8 and game over.

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
NSWRU and Shute Shield are to entirely blame for the mess that is Rugby in this country. Not the ARU. :)

Well, not entirely, but take a look at the NSWRL back in the day. They didn't wait for anyone to green light taking Sydney league comp and turning it into a national comp.

Shute Shield and it's teams should have aimed from 1995 onwards to grow into a national comp with a 2 teams from Qld, 1 from ACT,Vic, SA and WA. NZ can fuck sheep for all I care.

Configure it how you'd like, but rather than wait for the ARU to move on anything, how about taking control of your own destiny. You should have, you fucked up, you're fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.