• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

UPDATE 30th Mar - 173 confirmed dead in VIC bushfires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
This is getting pretty farken bad. Today Melbourne recorded its highest temperature EVER - 46.4oC (that's 115oF on the old scale). Avalon got up to 47.9oC according to linked article below :eek: A new Ash Wednesday for the state which is terrible.

Western Sydney is supposed to peak around 42-44 tomorrow and I'll be bunkered down with the air con running from very early in the day... We were at a shopping centre today and a bunch of idiots were having an argument about getting out of a lift. Long queues and heat - bad combination. Just have some patience you dicks.

[url]http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/bushfires-ravage-the-state/2009/02/07/1233423565321.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1 said:
[/url]
Fourteen deaths as fires ravage Victoria

February 7, 2009 - 10:14PM

Fourteen people have been killed in the savage bushfires which set Victoria ablaze on Saturday.

Victoria police confirmed the deaths on Saturday night and said they fear the figure may be more than 40.

At least 100 homes have been destroyed as nine major blazes burnt out of control across Victoria in the worst fire conditions in the state's history.

One man, aged in his 40s, is in critical condition after suffering burns to 50 per cent of his body when he tried to move stock in the Coleraine area in the state's west.

More than 3,000 firefighters and many more residents battled major fronts at Horsham, Coleraine, Weerite, Kilmore East, Bunyip, Churchill, Dargo, Murrindindi and Redesdale in all corners of the scorched state as the searing heat in the mid 40s and high winds exceeded authorities' predictions of the worst fire conditions in the state's history.

The Kilmore region in the north and several areas of Gippsland in the east were on high alert as an uneasy dusk fell on Saturday night, while the Horsham fire was downgraded early in the evening.

Fifty houses were reportedly lost in the Bendigo area in the Redesdale blaze and up to 30 houses went up in the Kilmore fire which pushed across Whittlesea and into the town of Kinglake, northwest of Melbourne, which one resident said had gone up in flames.

"The whole township is pretty much on fire," Peter Mitchell told ABC Radio.

"There was was no time to do anything ... it came through in minutes.

"There'll be a massive loss of houses ... There'll be a lot of us homeless.

"All those who have made it into town will be fine. The others will be sheltering and working on their fire plans, God help them."

Mr Mitchell said he was with around 200 residents holed up in the local pub and that no fire trucks could get into the town.

Thousands more residents in the region were sheltering wherever they could find cover as they were warned the worst was to come overnight.

A cool change early Saturday evening did not bring any respite but, in fact, was expected to create more volatile conditions.

"It hasn't helped the firefighters, only presented them with new fronts," the Country Fire Authority (CFA) spokeswoman said.

The CFA and DSE (Department of Sustainability and Environment) warned Victorians to prepare to be hit by fire late on Saturday night and to be especially prepared for ember attack.

"You should assume that as the wind change comes through, that your property could be impacted," CFA State Coordinator Geoff Conway said.

La Trobe Valley power stations were under threat as a fire on the eastern fringes of the Strzelecki Ranges spread toward the Gippsland coast, threatening towns such as Yarram, Langsbrough and Manns Beach.

"It is pretty well every part of the state except the far northwest," CFA Deputy Chief Fire Officer John Haynes said.

The Horsham fire burnt 5700 hectares and claimed at least three homes, the town's golf club and several sheds.

The Bunyip State Park reached 2400 hectares, and one at Kilmore burned 2000 hectares.

CFA deputy chief fire officer John Haynes said it would be about midnight, after the cool change had swept across the state, before fire fighters knew whether they had got on top of the blazes.

"Our guys have been flat out trying to fight the fires and trying to pin them down a bit," Mr Haynes said.

"The fire weather ... was extreme and off the scale."

By 6pm, at least one house was destroyed at Coleraine in Victoria's west, in Melbourne's southeast three homes were destroyed at Lyndbrook; and north of Melbourne six houses were destroyed at Wandong and one at Whittlesea.

Homes were also lost in Labertouche, near the Bunyip State Park east of Melbourne.

"There will be more to come," Mr Haynes said.

Julie Venrooy said from Shady Creek, east of Melbourne, said she had been forced to stay on the Princes Highway south of Tonimbuk by police, unable to return to her home.

"I've been able to contact my husband once. He's had ember attack, that was about an hour ago but I don't know what's happened since," Ms Venrooy said.

Victoria Premier John Brumby said one fire threatening his parents' home in Coleraine was stopped literally on their doorstep.

"I would like to thank DSE, CFA and SES (State Emergency Services) fire fighters and volunteers who have fought tirelessly throughout the day to protect Victorian people and property," Mr Brumby said.

The fires came as Melbourne reached its hottest ever temperature of 46.4 degrees, while nearby Avalon recorded the state's high of 47.9.

AAP

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Re: Fourteen confirmed dead in VIC bushfires

47.9??? That's just bonkers. My brother in law got married in 43 degrees a few years ago - try that in a morning suit!!!
Come east, Nicko, twas only 29 deg here today in Randwick, lovely sea-breeze and all.
Seriously though, I hope things settle in Vic with the cool change. 14 or 40 dead? It beggars belief. And to think some twats light these fires for a laugh. I liked the guy on the news tonight who suggested tying them to the tree in front of the fire if they catch 'em.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Death toll has risen to 26, could be as many as 40. Just terrible.

J

Jury

That is fricking terrible.

J

Jury

I hope they catch the people that started these fires. They're fricking evil. I hope they get done for murder. :angryfire:

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

The worst thing is they have detected fires that have been started after another fire has gone through, ie. people are going to these ravaged areas and trying to light more fires. An utterly despicable crime.

Death toll now 65. 700 homes destroyed.

R

rugbywhisperer

Used to be a Deputy Captain in VBFB at Glenorie in NW Sydney. We (tanker crew of about 6 fairly beefy guys) caught a firebug one day. :angryfire: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: It was good to be the king that day.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

9:55pm, the count is now 84 confirmed dead. Prior to starting up on my own last year I worked for a Victorian wine distributor, a lovely young bloke with a wife and two girls under three, who lives (lived?) at Kinglake in the upper Yarra Valley. Can't get hold of him. Pray to God all's well with him and his family.

Expecting the worst, anything else is good news.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Lindommer said:
9:55pm, the count is now 84 confirmed dead. Prior to starting up on my own last year I worked for a Victorian wine distributor, a lovely young bloke with a wife and two girls under three, who lives (lived?) at Kinglake in the upper Yarra Valley. Can't get hold of him. Pray to God all's well with him and his family.

Expecting the worst, anything else is good news.
That's a terrible situation, Lindo. I hope good news comes through. This is just horrific.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Re: Eighty Four confirmed dead in VIC bushfires

Record droughts, record temperatures and no definitive action to combat climate change. CSIRO modelling predicts less rain and higher temperatures for south eastern Australia so its only going to get worse.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

9:30am. Just heard the most appalling news: Rob Davey, the principal of Davey Wine Merchants, and his wife, Natasha and two little girls were found incinerated in their car on their property near Kinglake.

Devastated.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Sorry to hear that mate. There is a lot of suffering going on at the moment.

R

rugbywhisperer

Take care pal, our thoughts are with you. Very sorry to hear the news.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

I'm very sorry to hear that Lindommer. That's a tragedy.

J

Jury

Lindommer said:
9:30am. Just heard the most appalling news: Rob Davey, the principal of Davey Wine Merchants, and his wife, Natasha and two little girls were found incinerated in their car on their property near Kinglake.

Devastated.

That's awful mate. Thoughts are with you. :(

Mind blowingly, fricking gutting.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Looks like firebugs will face some pretty stern charges if they are caught:

[url]http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/arsonists-face-murder-charges/2009/02/09/1234027937150.html said:
[/url]
Firebugs face murder charges: A-G

February 9, 2009 - 3:53PM

Firebugs who set deadly fires in Victoria on the weekend could be charged with murder, the federal attorney-general says.

Robert McClelland told parliament Prime Minister Kevin Rudd was right to call arsonists "mass murderers" in the circumstances.

The comments came as police set up a task force to track down the firebugs.

Naturally though, I suppose the slimy lawyer bastards who represent them will claim the intent wasn't to kill, that they've got mental illness etc. 130+ lives gone because they're fire-happy or attention-seeking - like to see anyone defend that with a clear conscience.

Although this little prick should just have his arse whipped daily for a year so he can sit down or sleep without crying like a little bitch:

[url]http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/boy-15-charged-with-lighting-fire/2009/02/09/1234027892931.html said:
[/url]Boy, 15, charged with lighting fire

Arjun Ramachandran
February 9, 2009 - 7:03AM

A 15-year-old boy has been charged with lighting a bushfire in the Blue Mountains yesterday, as fire authorities this morning battled almost 50 fires across NSW.

His arrest came on the same day a 31-year-old man was charged with arson after a blaze at Kariong on the Central Coast.

The 15-year-old was arrested after allegedly starting a fire behind a community hall at Francis Road, Faulconbridge, yesterday afternoon, police said.

No one was injured and no property was damaged in the blaze, which burnt a small area of bushland before it was put out by the Rural Fire Service, police said.

131 confirmed dead now:

[url]http://www.news.com.au/story/0 said:
THIRTY-ONE[/url] fires are still burning out of control across Victoria as the death toll in Australia's worst ever bushfires stands at 131.

A 33,000 hectare blaze is threatening communities including Churchill and Wron Wron in south Gippsland.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Re: 131 confirmed dead in VIC bushfires

7:00am, 166 confirmed dead. Figure could double. Appalling.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

There's going to be a Royal Commission into the fires and procedures.

One of the guys I used to work with quit and moved back with his wife to Kinglake, where he grew up. Found out that he was very lucky - he, his wife, his animals and his parents all survived. He stayed and defended his property with wet towels, putting out spot fires. He lost a few paddocks but was otherwise unscathed. One of the very lucky ones...a few of us at work were relived to hear he was OK.

It's pretty hard to watch all the news right now with story after story about the devastation.

F

formeropenside

As to the murder charges, thats just silly. Impossible to prove intent, and in any event, murder is a State crime, not a federal one. So what the Feds think is irrelevant to the prosecution of a State offence.

Mind you, I'd like a nice long prison stretch in respect of a multiple manslaughter charge, which should be quite doable. Might even not live out the sentence, I suppose.

Lindommer - my condolences.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)

formeropenside said:
As to the murder charges, thats just silly. Impossible to prove intent, and in any event, murder is a State crime, not a federal one. So what the Feds think is irrelevant to the prosecution of a State offence.

Mind you, I'd like a nice long prison stretch in respect of a multiple manslaughter charge, which should be quite doable. Might even not live out the sentence, I suppose.

Lindommer - my condolences.

Do you still have a potential life-sentence for manslaughter there? Because this is the perfect case.

I thought Rudd's sheer incomprehension of why anyone would want to do something like this was one of the most expressive things I've ever seen.

Lindommer, condolences. God rest them all.

Stay safe, folks, FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.