• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PhD96

I'm very saddened to report that a young man has lost his life, as a result of an injury sustained while playing for St Andrews 1st XV on Saturday. I don't have any more details at present, but Kundayi Chiundiza had been a student at Newington College prior to attending St Andrews. He was well respected in the College community, very popular with his peers and a talented all round sportsman. Sincere condolences to his family and friends at this incredibly difficult time.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
This is very sad news, and I'm sure it will have a ripple effect in the NSW rugby community.

W

Wrinkled Rat

Just tragic and puts all our comments in perspective. God Bless

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I had the fortunate pleasure of knowing him whilst at Newington College. Wonderful kid who always had a smile on his face. Still cannot believe this tragedy. R.I.P. Kundai.

P

PhD96

I had the fortunate pleasure of knowing him whilst at Newington College. Wonderful kid who always had a smile on his face. Still cannot believe this tragedy. R.I.P. Kundai.

It's just very hard to accept that a healthy, popular and decent kid can be taken in this way. Our household is very sad tonight, I can tell you. Although he had left Newington a couple of years ago, he maintained some great friendships. I believe his Dad was/is overseas. I cannot imagine the pain in having to take that phone call about his son's passing.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You've got to feel for the boy who tackled him also. I can imagine he'd be in a very bad place at the moment and will be permanently scared.

S

saulih

From the Sydney Morning Herald

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/boy-dies-after-being-sent-home-by-hospital-20100621-ysdb.html

I hope this isn't yet another case of our health system costing a life

I once sat in the Emergency area of an Adelaide hospital for five hours after a concussion where I lost memory for about four minutes. The only attention I had was by passing nurses asking if I was comfortable. Just a cursory look at my scalp.

I like now living under a private health insurance plan where they do overkill on the checks etc. That kid would have had xrays and the whole works if it had happened here.

I'll get off my high horse now, but PHD96 ... I am with you... I hope this kid got all the proper attention he needed, otherwise heads should roll.

N

Nanai

There was an article about the probability of an eventual death in Schoolboy rugby earlier in the year. It's a sick irony that it's happened to suddenly.

It sounds like a freak accident, and that the hospital is most certainly to blame.

This should be a lesson learned by players as well about the danger of the shoulder charge.

R

rugbywhisperer

This is just too sad to really comprehend.
Many of us here have children of varying ages playing the game we love.
Some have lost mates while playing the game while others may know of some who endured a serious injury.
Let's all have a prayer for this young lad and remember that while it is sport it is a violent sport and deserves all the respect we can muster.
In light of all the big schoolboy representative games we are about to have in the next couple of weeks it is best we all have a quiet word with the boss.
Happy journey lad.

T

TheTruth

Sad Sad Sad, Condolences to the lad's family and friends - Boy, it puts "life" into perspective doesn't it.

P

PhD96

Not sure of the circumstances, assume they will become public knowledge in due course. I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Gregs are a RL school, I reckon they play according to the spirit of the game. I see shoulder charges and lifting/driving tackles on a weekly basis. The concern is that referees do not generally apply the correct penalty i.e a red card. Last year I observed three lifting/driving tackles and two late tackles where senior referees failed to act. The irony in one of those circumstances was the presence of a referee coach, who, when approached after the game, couldn't back pedal fast enough.

On one of those occasions a boy ended up in hospital with two fractures, both very near to his spinal column and a major artery. NSW and it's refereeing department need to re-visit such tackles and be very, very clear about what penalties should apply

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From the School Website:

https://secure.sacs.nsw.edu.au/kundayi/
The school has set up an Online Donation Appeal for Kundayi's Family, In loving memory of Kundayi Chiundiza

On behalf of the St Andrew's Cathedral School community we would like to thank you all for your heartfelt and caring wishes for the family of Kundayi, whose tragic death has brought such grief to us.

Kundayi lived here in Sydney with his mother, Grace whilst his father Richmond and 3 elder brothers live in Zimbabwe. Following requests from parents, students and other friends of the family, the P&F have very kindly agreed to fundraise for the family, to assist to bring Kundayi's father to Australia and to contribute to the costs of the funeral. We are immensely grateful to the P&F for this gesture.

If you can assist the family by contributing, please complete the form below. All funds will be allocated to a trust for use by the family.

If you have any enquiries regarding the fund, please contact, Lyn Jarvis, President of the P&F at jarvis50@bigpond.net.au or Vicki Fraser in the SACS Development Office on 9009 5466, VFraser@sacs.nsw.edu.au

I would encourage all readers to contribute to this fund. While our health system may have let this child down, we can show that our compassion is world class.

Please spread the world to all your friends, family, and the Australian Rugby family.

R

rugbywhisperer

Welcome to GAGR Hugh J.
We look forward to your comments.
Just a note - this is not Sportal, we play nice here.

S

skullring

I wish his family first and foremost, his close friends, his team mates and class mates all the best during these tough times. So many of them must be feeling so empty, looking for somebody to blame, when of course there really isn't, it was just luck at its absolute worst, and i really feel for Kundayi's grieving parents.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From the School Website:

https://secure.sacs.nsw.edu.au/kundayi/
The school has set up an Online Donation Appeal for Kundayi's Family, In loving memory of Kundayi Chiundiza

On behalf of the St Andrew's Cathedral School community we would like to thank you all for your heartfelt and caring wishes for the family of Kundayi, whose tragic death has brought such grief to us.

Kundayi lived here in Sydney with his mother, Grace whilst his father Richmond and 3 elder brothers live in Zimbabwe. Following requests from parents, students and other friends of the family, the P&F have very kindly agreed to fundraise for the family, to assist to bring Kundayi's father to Australia and to contribute to the costs of the funeral. We are immensely grateful to the P&F for this gesture.

If you can assist the family by contributing, please complete the form below. All funds will be allocated to a trust for use by the family.

If you have any enquiries regarding the fund, please contact, Lyn Jarvis, President of the P&F at jarvis50@bigpond.net.au or Vicki Fraser in the SACS Development Office on 9009 5466, VFraser@sacs.nsw.edu.au

I would encourage all readers to contribute to this fund. While our health system may have let this child down, we can show that our compassion is world class.

Please spread the world to all your friends, family, and the Australian Rugby family.

At a memorial Service for Kundayi held in Sydney's St Andrews Cathedral today, it was announced that the Wallabies will wear black armbands in memory of Kundayi at tomorrow nights Test Match against Ireland, and that each match in the National Under 16's tournament will observe a minutes silence.

A huge bravo to the ARU, and the Wallabies.

P

PhD96

At a memorial Service for Kundayi held in Sydney's St Andrews Cathedral today, it was announced that the Wallabies will wear black armbands in memory of Kundayi at tomorrow nights Test Match against Ireland, and that each match in the National Under 16's tournament will observe a minutes silence.

A huge bravo to the ARU, and the Wallabies.

That's brilliant, congrats to the ARU, to acknowledge the young fella in that way is nothing less than he deserves

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
i played against him 2 weeks before his death, elusive running fullback
its a shame and a shock of his death

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From the Sydney Morning Herald

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/boy-dies-after-being-sent-home-by-hospital-20100621-ysdb.html

I hope this isn't yet another case of our health system costing a life

Unfortunately it was our health system that let this boy down.
743903-kundai-chiundiza.jpg

From the Telegraph:http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-nsw/death-of-16-year-old-kundai-chiundiza-shows-doctors-lack-of-training/story-e6freuzi-1226139365698
A CORONER has called for better training for overseas-trained doctors after a boy died after a rugby tackle.

Deputy State Coroner Sharon Freund yesterday handed down her findings into the death of 16-year-old Kundai Chiundiza on June 21, 2010.

The St Andrew's College scholarship student was taken to Campbelltown Hospital after being injured in a schoolboy rugby match on June 19. He was discharged after one hour with a prescription for Panadeine Forte and died two days later of peritonitis, an inflammation of the abdomen.

At the hospital Kundai was examined by two junior doctors with nine months' experience between them in the Australian medical system. Ms Freund said that Kundai's death was not down to one mistake but the result of a system breakdown, telling Glebe Coroner's Court: "The two junior doctors that attended to Kundai had clear gaps in their respective medical knowledge that had to this point not been recognised by their superiors.

"Unfortunately it has taken this tragedy for this lack of knowledge to be recognised."

Not one to believe everything in the papers, the coroners report is here:
http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/Coroners_Court/ll_coroners.nsf/vwFiles/CHIUNDIZA_Kundayi.pdf/$file/CHIUNDIZA_Kundayi.pdf

The school's web site says: http://www.sacs.nsw.edu.au/news/do_it_for_kundayi
Since the tragic passing of Kundayi last year, mother Mrs Grace Chiundiza has held fast to her vision of establishing a school in his name to be located in the Zimbabwean province of Harare. The vision has since made some significant steps towards an eventual fruition.

.... So far with the help and support of many people, they have raised over $30,000.

The Kundayi Chiundiza School Committee is organising the "Do it for Kundayi" Fundraiser to be held on Friday 2nd December at Le Montage in Lilyfield. The invitation can be downlaoded from the right hand side of the page. Please join us and pass on the invite to others who may be interested. Bookings can be made on line at http://www.trybooking.com/VOF

Status
Not open for further replies.