1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Voluntary Euthanasia

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cutter, Nov 13, 2011.

?

Do you support the right to voluntary euthanasia?

Yes 35 vote(s) 94.6%
No 1 vote(s) 2.7%
I'm waiting to hear what Alan Jones says about it. 1 vote(s) 2.7%
  1. Cutter Nicholas Shehadie (39)

In the article below, Kate Caro says 80% of her friends support voluntary euthanasia. I was surprised it was that high and thought I'd put it to G&GR but people are, obviously, welcome to discuss it as well.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/i-want-to-go-my-own-way-20111112-1nctj.html#ixzz1dVatYZg3

2. Moses Simon Poidevin (60)

Interesting poll results so far.
    Once you've lived through the last years of a terminally ill relative's life it's difficult to oppose.
    Never understood why we are more humane towards animals than humans.
  3. yourmatesam Phil Hardcastle (33)

Agree definitely doesn't cut it with this issue does it?

Having seen the end result of Alzheimer's and seeing someone you love who was once so beautiful and full of life lose their dignity, euthanasia should be everybody's right (voluntary or otherwise).
    Moses and Mr Doug like this.
  4. Ruggo Paul McLean (56)

We have been there and tried that in the NT. Hate is a terrible word but Kevin Andrews I truly hate you. The moral argument is worth little when you are seeing a loved one suffer in pain while having their dignity stripped away through their circumstance. The one condition that is a must though is the doctor who performs the procedure must be completely comfortable carrying it out. If they are not, they should not be forced to carry it out as part of their job.
    kambah mick and Moses like this.
  5. cyclopath John Eales (66)

On a lighter note, good to see no-one gives a rats what Alan Jones thinks on this!!
    Moses likes this.
  6. Schadenfreude John Solomon (38)

Who gives a shit what he thinks anyway?
  7. cyclopath John Eales (66)

Well, not me. But he seems to have an audience, based on his ratings and how much they pay him, so I'd say there are quite a few people who do.
  8. Ruggo Paul McLean (56)

It's a scary thought that the little prick has listeners. Precious resources would be conserved if he was to just pull his lip over his head and swallow.
    Schadenfreude likes this.
  9. Inside Shoulder John Eales (66)

Why does this Jane Caro have to be poking her dial up everywhere I look - FFS she was on the Gruen Transfer.that doesn't make you an expert on everything.
  10. cyclopath John Eales (66)

I dunno, seems to work for Todd Sampson.
    Moses and DPK like this.
  11. Scarfman Knitter of the Scarf

I've had a couple of close relatives who died pretty slowly and in discomfort. One the one hand, you clearly don't want anyone to suffer. And if someone's terminal, then of course, let them rest. At the same time, though, I've come to see dying as a journey, both for the patient and their loved ones. Sometimes that slow time around a person's death can be important. Myabe I'm thinking - there's some things you can't rush?

But I voted Yes for having the possibility available.
    Gnostic likes this.
  12. Lindommer John Hipwell (52)

That's a bit unkind, pedallist. I listen to Alan's driving tips conscientiously and look forward to his motor racing commentary. I give a rats what Alan thinks.
  13. Schadenfreude John Solomon (38)

Can we add an option? - I support Euthanasia if it's used on Alan Jones.

On a side note - hold the fucking phone - From wikipedia:

If that prick ever gets back involved with Rugby I'm going to go support New Zealand.
  14. matty_k Ken Catchpole (46)

Who was the joker who voted for the Alan Jones option?
  15. yourmatesam Phil Hardcastle (33)

Who was the joker who put the Alan Jones option on there?
    Scotty likes this.
  16. kambah mick Chris McKivat (8)

This is obviously a very vexed question. I believe the option should be available, particularly for people who are in complete paralysis, in significant pain etc. I have my doubts about conditions like alzheimers however, but would be open to conversion.
  17. Cutter Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Well, yes, that was me. Perhaps the effect has been lost? Or is this a double ha ha no I was joking moment?
  18. Cutter Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Why do you doubt it in such cases?
  19. kambah mick Chris McKivat (8)

I have had family suffer from Alzheimers, and an uncle is currently going through it to some anguish to his family and so I understand very well what a bastard of a situation it poses for those near and dear. However in none of the cases I witnessed closely would I have had it in me to authorise the final injection. One of the people involved was capable of walking over 15 kms up until about a week prior to his death.
    I guess I would like others who have more courage or whatever it is that I seem to lack have the right to euthanasia but I still have some personal misgivings. The obvious examples such as terminal agonising cancer make the final decision seem easy, but I keep wondering about marginal cases. Having witnessed several deaths and noted how most people "struggle against the dying of the light", I find it hard to come to a definite decision.
  20. Gnostic Greg Davis (50)

There is a word for this.. If the euthanasia was involuntary the question comes up, who is the procedure for, to spare the feelings and sensibilities of the afflicted because its uncomfortable to witness the deterioration of a love one terminal or otherwise? There are also some very serious ethical issues to consider like who gets to make the decision, especially when the next of kin who generally make such decisions may stand to greatly benefit from the death. Involuntary euthanasia is a very dangerous suggestion.

Scarfy summed it up nicely and I have personally watched both sides, one where the loved one's final days were an agony and torment and another where although in just as much pain they never gave up the fight. In the end it should be up to the individual.