• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales tour of New Zealand 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wales will play four matches:

June 11 v New Zealand: Eden Park, Auckland
June 14 v Chiefs: Waikato Stadium, Hamilton
June 18 v New Zealand: Westpac Stadium, Wellington
June 25 v New Zealand: Forsyth-Barr Stadium, Dunedin

WALES SQUAD:

Forwards: Rob Evans, Tomas Francis, Paul James, Gethin Jenkins, Rhodri Jones, Samson Lee, Scott Baldwin, Kristian Dacey, Ken Owens, Jake Ball, Luke Charteris, Bradley Davies, Alun Wyn Jones, Taulupe Faletau, James King, Dan Lydiate, Ross Moriarty, Josh Turnbull, Sam Warburton (captain). Backs: Gareth Davies, Rhys Webb, Lloyd Williams, Gareth Anscombe, Dan Biggar, Rhys Priestland, Jonathan Davies, Tyler Morgan, Jamie Roberts, Scott Williams, Hallam Amos, Matthew Morgan, Tom James, George North, Eli Walker, Liam Williams.

NEW ZEALAND SQUAD:

To be named.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I predict 3-0 to the All Blacks and probably in a canter. Warrenball doesn't have enough attacking threats to worry the AB's defensive line IMHO, unless he's got a new game plan. The AB's counter attack should shred them if we're brutally honest.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The punters agree, 3-0 is currently at $1.27 on the NZ TAB (haven't checked elsewhere but they're usually within cooee of each other). BetFair's market for T1 is NZ 1.05-3.05 Wal which seems extraordinary this far out, I was expecting more like NZ 1.50-2.25 Wal.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Sportsbet is paying $7 on Wales. I don't think they're going to win, but in the post-Richie/Dan/Nonu/Smith/Woodcock era they're definitely not that bad an underdog.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All Blacks have been named:

Props: Charlie Faumuina, ​Owen Franks, Wyatt Crockett, Joe Moody, Ofa Tu'ungafasi.

​Hookers: Codie Taylor, Nathan Harris, Dane Coles.

Locks: Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Patrick Tuipulotu, Luke Romano.

Loose forwards: Sam Cane, Ardie Savea, Kieran Read (c), Elliot Dixon, Jerome Kaino, Liam Squire.

​Halfbacks: Aaron Smith, Tawera Kerr-Barlow.

Five-eighths: Aaron Cruden, Beauden Barrett, Lima Sopoaga.

Midfield: Charlie Ngatai, Ryan Crotty, Malakai Fekitoa, Seta Temanivalu.

​Outside backs: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Damian McKenzie, Julian Savea, Waisake Naholo.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No real bolters in squad, thought maybe Damian McKenzie may not make it for another year or so, and Tom Franklin being named as lock cover was a surprise, and maybe Ofa T getting 5th prop spot, but all in all no big surprises

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I am pretty happy with that squad. It looks pretty bloody good on paper. Especially in a post RWC year. Good to see Super rugby form being rewarded and nice having Dagg's experience back.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
No real bolters in squad, thought maybe Damian McKenzie may not make it for another year or so, and Tom Franklin being named as lock cover was a surprise, and maybe Ofa T getting 5th prop spot, but all in all no big surprises

I'd dare say he's only there because of Laulala's injury.

Given his recent head injuries, Squire is a bit of a surprise for me. Still, Luatua isn't really a #8, and they probably want some decent cover there so no complaint there.

On that note, if Ioane returns and dominates the NPC again, it'll be interesting to see the make-up of the loosies on the EOYT. Doubly so if Gibson also returns.

EDIT: Brad Webber is unlucky. But they may see him as being too similar to A.Smith, which is a shame.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep Weber maybe a bit unlucky, but like you I suspect he is very similar to Smith and I think with the selection of Kerr Barlow, they want their 2nd 9 to be a bit different. I like Sqire being there, think he got a great attitude.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Will Tom Franklin come into the squad - reported that Tuipulotu gone due to broken hand? Anybody know if that is correct. I wouldn't have thought he was a starter in any event maybe not even bench. Expect starting second row to be Whitelock and Retalick. Thoughts NZers?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I still don't get TKB before Perenara. Perenara is such a live wire I'd be willing to put up with the fact he can get a bit ragged.

Wales to not finish within 10 in any test.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

Yeah listening to Foxy I reckon it was a line ball call for DMac. He has a number of work ons but with Skudder out he probably gets a shot earlier than expected.

Lots of talk about Barrett being that next lock, and whilst he's been very good for the Saders, I think it's too early. He doesn't need to be rushed and just needs to continue working on his game. I like Franklin's game and if he does get a shot I think he will be ready.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep, no argument with Franklin ACT, I see they have given Weber hi work ons at halfback too, think he has to stop getting himself isolated etc. I a bit of a fan how Hansen does it, he gets Shand etc to contact the selected players, while he personally rings the ones that are close and gives them the bad news and reasons. Anyway getting close now for my trip over for the tour.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I still don't get TKB before Perenara. Perenara is such a live wire I'd be willing to put up with the fact he can get a bit ragged.

And that's probably his biggest failing. When a cool head is needed he is too worked up.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I think Mackenzie may be a project. I can't see him getting a lot of game time. Maybe filling the role that Barrett currently has, being the nippy little speedster that comes on in the last quarter when the players are tiring, to cause some chaos. Course it will all depend on how competitive Wales are.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Really pleased to see Liam Squire picked although he almost certainly won't get to wear the Black in this series. His selection reinforces the fact that the AB selectors couldn't care less where you went to school. I'm pleased for the smiling assassin Damien McKenzie - he's as an exciting a prospect I've seen since BB. Elliot Dixon deserves his selection - he has excelled for the past season and a half, brilliant at the lineout, aggressive in defence and a strong carrier with the precious knack of knowing where to be. I hope he strains a hamstring during the Wales series :)

Status
Not open for further replies.