• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales tour of New Zealand 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So was the Oz/Pom match. God forbid we ever see the downgrading of test rugby. This is why the iRB/WR (World Rugby) and the senior unions have to stand up to the selfish interests of the English and French club owners. Otherwise we'll end up like soccer.

Sadly the French and English clubs have too much power. The only possibility I can see tests remaining as is is if the FFR buys out the LNR (owners of the Top 14 & Pro D2) :(

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ have now beaten Wales 28-straight which has surely gotta be a record for one T1 nation v another. The closest I can find is France's 12 straight (13 if you count a France XV fixture they also won) from 1997-2010. Even if you go back to Italy's pre-T1 days their worst run, also v France, appears to be 17 (or 32 including v France XV's) 1935-83.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
So our national friend Wayne Barnes was spotted at a Welsh bar in Wellington earlier this week. While there he was good enough to sign the guest book.

1466322330516.jpg

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...es-after-night-out-at-welsh-bar-in-wellington

Wayne is most definitely in this for the giggles.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
NZ have now beaten Wales 28-straight which has surely gotta be a record for one T1 nation v another. The closest I can find is France's 12 straight (13 if you count a France XV fixture they also won) from 1997-2010. Even if you go back to Italy's pre-T1 days their worst run, also v France, appears to be 17 (or 32 including v France XV's) 1935-83.

1902 and 1953 I think are our only wins. I'd argue that '78 was a win but I've never seen them get a recognised win. Hope to one day. would love to be there when it happens and Boy will I get pissed

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You've had three wins: 1905, 1935 & 1953 (& once had a 75% win ration against us, even Sethfricka never got above 66%) plus a coupla close ones incl 1978. Not sure how you'd class that as a win, Geoff Wheel held Frank Oliver down in the last lineout of the match, Quittendon pinged him, McKechnie nailed the shot, game over.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Was that the NZ Rugby Team's underarm incident?

Even if the penalty was against the actions of the Boyos at 2 in the line out, what Haden did at 4 in the line out was very Soccer inspired.

My mate Bruce from Wellington reckons it was payback for the 1905 game where Deans's try was disallowed.

Bruce from Wellington has a loooong memory when it comes to injustices visited upon the NZ Rugby Team.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Old Mate from Wellington only seems to recall the injustices visited upon the NZ Rugby (and Cricket or any other NZ) Team, not the other way around. He speaks little of Richard Lowe, but can recall all of Wayne Barnes's decisions from a certain game in 2007.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Old Mate from Wellington................... can recall all of Wayne Barnes's decisions from a certain game in 2007.

A memory that good really should be put to better use :)

And on the Deans try v Haden dive thing, the ref of the latter getting it right is hardly "payback" for the ref of the former possibly/ allegedly getting it wrong. Karma, perhaps. Or not: Deans being much bigger than the Welshman who tackled him, the whole "dragged back into the field of play" thing seems improbable.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
You've had three wins: 1905, 1935 & 1953 (& once had a 75% win ration against us, even Sethfricka never got above 66%) plus a coupla close ones incl 1978. Not sure how you'd class that as a win, Geoff Wheel held Frank Oliver down in the last lineout of the match, Quittendon pinged him, McKechnie nailed the shot, game over.

Three! Didn't realise we'd won in the thirties.

Love your reading of the 78 infamy. From where I was standing in the South Enclosure it looked like Haden and Oliver both threw themselves sideways and Quittenton was hoodwinked. McKechnie duly slotted the win.

We could legitimately claim the lions wins in 71 I think. And now you've brought back distant memories of 72. Took years of therapy to overcome the Murdoch test. 19-16 with Benny missing a final penalty for the draw

Stu Wilson try is worth rewatching a few million times

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And now you've brought back distant memories of 72. Took years of therapy to overcome the Murdoch test. 19-16 with Benny missing a final penalty for the draw

IIRC it was such a gimme the scoreboard attendant actually went out & changed the score to 19-19: I'd love to see footage of the poor sod having to go back out & change it back......

Status
Not open for further replies.