• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales v Barbarians Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So what the hell is Angus Bell doing playing like a crash-ball 12? He should get a six week suspension for that from the front rowers judiciary.

Derpus, There's a GIF on the SMH website that should be on permanent rewind somewhere.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This entire broadcast is amateur. Priestland is dull as dishwater. The audio is crap. They can't even get the player jerseys right in the substitution banner
The commentators were dire, did anyone tell them it was meant to be entertaining? Bleak

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Most of the Aussies played well - Perese and Bell in particular, Ikitau found lots of space.

Donaldson was terrible tho, 3 dreadful chip kicks and generally looked lost, but he was only on for 10 minutes or so.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Most of the Aussies played well - Perese and Bell in particular, Ikitau found lots of space.

Donaldson was terrible tho, 3 dreadful chip kicks and generally looked lost, but he was only on for 10 minutes or so.
It’s funny what people see. I thought Ikitau was pedestrian. Perese and Bell definitely played well. Sanchez at 10 didn’t do much … kicked out on the full twice and hit the post with an easy kick. Donaldson, with as you say, only 10minutes and chasing the game, I thought was pretty good. Hooper didn’t stand out. A fun game though to wrap up the season I guess, and a farewell to Wynn Jones and Halfpenny’s great careers for Wales. There should be more Barbarian games to wrap up a tour.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Depends on the colour of the glasses, Yoda. I thought Len Ikitau looked like he was just running himself back into fitness and form rather than being pedestrian. Perese was his usual self but made plenty of mistakes with dropped ball and some poor passes. Overall, the Welsh centres outplayed our two.

Which Hooper are you referring to? Michael was again the energiser bunny running all over the field chasing the ball. But he still missed tackles on bigger blokes and was shrugged off in some rucks. I reckon he played better than Jones would have expected, but still don't see him reclaiming the Wallaby 7 jersey any time soon. OTOH, Tom did have an impact off the bench and had an absolute standout moment when he was the sole defender chasing the ball along the Welsh backline and collecting the dropped ball to score.

Ben Donaldson did very little of effect in his 10 minutes or so. Poor kicks in play, missed tackle on the Welsh winger and generally not adding any spark to the attack. I think he'll slowly fade out of any consideration for a Wallabies' spot during 2024.

Last of all, on Allun Wynn-Jones. I've never been a fan; he's pretty much a run of the mill Lock imo, but he was Captain Exceptional I reckon in this match. Any semblance of strategy on the part of the Baa Baas during the game was quite obviously his doing. He was on top of all decisions and clearly making them on the run. Great effort to bow out of international rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Depends on the colour of the glasses, Yoda. I thought Len Ikitau looked like he was just running himself back into fitness and form rather than being pedestrian. Perese was his usual self but made plenty of mistakes with dropped ball and some poor passes. Overall, the Welsh centres outplayed our two.

Which Hooper are you referring to? Michael was again the energiser bunny running all over the field chasing the ball. But he still missed tackles on bigger blokes and was shrugged off in some rucks. I reckon he played better than Jones would have expected, but still don't see him reclaiming the Wallaby 7 jersey any time soon. OTOH, Tom did have an impact off the bench and had an absolute standout moment when he was the sole defender chasing the ball along the Welsh backline and collecting the dropped ball to score.

Ben Donaldson did very little of effect in his 10 minutes or so. Poor kicks in play, missed tackle on the Welsh winger and generally not adding any spark to the attack. I think he'll slowly fade out of any consideration for a Wallabies' spot during 2024.
Sounds a lot like McReight.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)

Last of all, on Allun Wynn-Jones. I've never been a fan; he's pretty much a run of the mill Lock imo, but he was Captain Exceptional I reckon in this match. Any semblance of strategy on the part of the Baa Baas during the game was quite obviously his doing. He was on top of all decisions and clearly making them on the run. Great effort to bow out of international rugby.
“Ben Donaldson did very little of effect in his 10 minutes or so. Poor kicks in play, missed tackle on the Welsh winger and generally not adding any spark to the attack. I think he'll slowly fade out of any consideration for a Wallabies' spot during 2024.”

The battle of the young 10’s will be very interesting next year definitely BR. Does young Brumby Lolesio learn from his French gig? Does Debreczini take pole position over Noah again? Will Edmed step up and make the 10 jersey his? Does injury recovered Harrison rise from the ashes? Creighton, Lynagh and old JOC (James O'Connor) show good form? Does Donaldson benefit at a new franchise? Will Carter Gordon bounce back to the form he showed for the Rebels last year. Plus a new Wallaby coach in the mix with his own ideas. On that front I’m hoping Joe Schmidt is interested in the mighty challenge. All will be revealed in 2024.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
“Ben Donaldson did very little of effect in his 10 minutes or so. Poor kicks in play, missed tackle on the Welsh winger and generally not adding any spark to the attack. I think he'll slowly fade out of any consideration for a Wallabies' spot during 2024.”

The battle of the young 10’s will be very interesting next year definitely BR. Does young Brumby Lolesio learn from his French gig? Does Debreczini take pole position over Noah again? Will Edmed step up and make the 10 jersey his? Does injury recovered Harrison rise from the ashes? Creighton, Lynagh and old JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) show good form? Does Donaldson benefit at a new franchise? Will Carter Gordon bounce back to the form he showed for the Rebels last year. Plus a new Wallaby coach in the mix with his own ideas. On that front I’m hoping Joe Schmidt is interested in the mighty challenge. All will be revealed in 2024.
Quite a lot to look forward to Yoda.

I think both Donaldson and Edmed will fall behind the others, including a couple missing from your list.

Harrison will be the 10 at the Tahs if he stays fit, imo. Carter Gordon, I hope, will re-emerge as the best of the lot.

Noah will hopefully come back a more rounded 10 from his stint overseas, while I'd like to see Debreczini get time at 15 where I think he could fill a gap and allow Tom Wright to move back to wing or centre.

A couple of smokies not mentioned in your post are Pasitoa (of course) and at the Brumbies Declan Meredith who iirc was player of the year in the JID Cup this year.

At the Reds, I won't be surprised if Harry McLaughlin-Phillips spends a fair bit of time at 10. He looks to be the goods.

EDIT : probably a discussion to be had elsewhere.