• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Walking

Should batsmen walk?

• Yes - you hit it your out

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Yes in social games, no in pro games

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No - umpires call

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Michael Clarke the dickhead actually apologised for not walking!
MClarke23 said:
Just want to apologise for not walking off the ground tonight when I hit the ball. I was just so disappointed, my emotions got best of me.
http://twitter.com/MClarke23/status/11690308697858048

Got some quality responses too
beerandsport said:
The only thing more pathetic than walking is apologising for not walking.
cricketwballs said:
If you'd have walked I'd have met you at the changeroom with chainsaw.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
What's the problem with walking? If you bloody well hit it, why not go? Never understood the shit heaped on Gilchrist for walking. Shittier to stand when you bloody know you belted it.

My thought is you do your job and let the umpire do their job.

If you walk, you're giving an advantage to the opposition who don't walk.
If you walk, then one time you don't walk and the umpire gives you out, are you lying or is he incompetent? Gilly got into this predicament, came out looking a dick.
If your captain walks, does that mean everyone in the squad should walk? Why take someone's word when they're playing for their career.
Remember Ricky's stupid catching agreement? Either everyone walks, or no-one walks. We have umpires to make these decisions, and reviews for when they get them wrong.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
My thought is you do your job and let the umpire do their job.

If you walk, you're giving an advantage to the opposition who don't walk.
If you walk, then one time you don't walk and the umpire gives you out, are you lying or is he incompetent? Gilly got into this predicament, came out looking a dick.
If your captain walks, does that mean everyone in the squad should walk? Why take someone's word when they're playing for their career.
Remember Ricky's stupid catching agreement? Either everyone walks, or no-one walks. We have umpires to make these decisions, and reviews for when they get them wrong.

3rd umpire doing a bang-up job today - did you see that howler on Broad apparently saving a 4 lying all over the rope? Yeah, I'd rely on them to get it right. I reckon there is a place for being honest to yourself, and that being above the game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Rules of Cricket = Laws of Rugby in simplicity and applicability? Not. Played at completely different paces, too many points of focus in Rugby, which has to be the most ridiculously over-legislated game. Plus, cricket used to be a gentleman's game.
I will have to agree to disagree with you, Mosebro.

H

Hodgy

I totally agree with you Cyclo, I'm a walker, apart from anything else, its almost impossible not to walk when you know you've hit it.

I reckon Aus will be saved by rain tomorrow, and I certainly don't think England delayed the declaration too long, they've gotten themselves far enough ahead to be able to continue to attack, if it rains all day, there's sod all you can do about it.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I've split this thread and added a poll. Am interested to hear others' opinions

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
You should walk if you know you're out. Doesn't matter what the cheating (insert derogatory term for your preferred nationality here) would do.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Call me amoral/opaque but I think it's context dependent no matter whether its social or pro. If you're well ahead and it doesn't matter so much, have a walk. If the chips are down and you really really need to stay at the crease then leave it to the umpire.

I don't have a problem with people walking or not, each to their own in this case.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Never walked and never would if I still played the game. My reasons are thus:

1, The umpire's job is to adjudicate and the players to play. I hate players gobbing off to the ump about decisions and trying to run the game and I don't think it's necessary to do their job for them.

2, For every time you get a fortunate call, you'll get just as many dusty ones. Nobody will thank you for walking all those other times when you protest that you got a rough call.

3, If we are going to ask all batsmen to walk, then presumably we'll ask the fielding side to only appeal when they are absolutely certain that its out, rather than the hundred half shouts we get during a days play.

4, Cricket is not and has never been a gentleman's game. It's sport and people take advantage all the time. Were cricket a jolly decent game played by jolly decent follows, we wouldn't have had WG Grace, Fred Spofforth, bodyline, Lillee and Thompson, Tony Greig, underarm incidents, Alan Hurst Mankadding someone, Sarfraz appealing for handling the ball, the aluminium bat incident, the WI pace quartet, the list goes on.

5, We are always taught to play the whistle in sport. This is just an example of that.

I've got absolutely no problem with people walking, that's their choice. I won't be pressured into doing the same. Ever.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I agree with each to their own decision, even though I walked in the past (when I played). I do not agree with those that bollock someone out for walking, as happened with Gilchrist, or with those tweets to Michael Clarke after what he tweeted. What really makes me laugh is when some of those who were staunch anti-walking advocates in the cricketing world stand around sledging / abusing another player who nicks it, gets a good call from the umpire, and survives. Hypocrites. Same for Ponting going on about the whole catching "code of honour" malarky.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Absolutely no argument there Cyclo. It's like people who complain when they get short changed in the shops, but wouldn't ever give money back if they got extra. Those kinds of people shit me.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Can you seperate the values and morals in Sport to those in life?

Is it OK to steal if you don't get caught? To lie if you'll never be found out?

I hope to teach my kids that what you do in sport is what you do in life - or maybe the other way around.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's a fair comment Bullrush, but let me ask you this: do you always absolutely obey the speed limit? Ever come into the country with slightly over the duty free limit?

In life we don't usually have an umpire standing there adjudicating and most of the time our actions affect only us. If me doing something wrong hurts someone else, then of course it would give me pause.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
It's a fair comment Bullrush, but let me ask you this: do you always absolutely obey the speed limit? Ever come into the country with slightly over the duty free limit?

In life we don't usually have an umpire standing there adjudicating and most of the time our actions affect only us. If me doing something wrong hurts someone else, then of course it would give me pause.

Ohhhh...nice. I hadn't thought about the speeding arguement.

The only thing I would say to that is that I personally don't see speeding as a moral issue like lying or owning up to the truth. Is it actually any different? Maybe not - but it let's me sleep at night :)

BTW - I would argue that no man is an island and there are very few actions we take that do not impact or effect someone else. But now we're getting deep....lol

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm with Hornet. As a batsmen you win some and you lose some. By walking you take out the 'win some' of that equation. You should always respect the decision of the Umpire, and if that falls in your favour good luck to you, because there will be plenty of time when it doesn't.

The only thing I would add is that if you make the decision not to walk then it takes away your right to complain about umpiring decisions. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
So does being a walker give you the right to complain about umpiring decisions?

Status
Not open for further replies.