• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Walking

Should batsmen walk?

• Yes - you hit it your out

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Yes in social games, no in pro games

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No - umpires call

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So does being a walker give you the right to complain about umpiring decisions?

No, but if you generally walk when you hit it, I guess it is reasonable to stand your ground / review it or whatever if you are sure you didn't. Ultimately, you gotta go if the fickle finger says so.
Ultimately, it will never be perfect, but walking is about saying to yourself "I did hit it, I'm out, so I oughta go". I understand the arguments about good calls balancing bad calls, but that's just a personal thing that I would feel a bit of a fraud if I nicked a good 'un, then went on to score another 40 or 50.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
You have more right to complain, certainly. Complaining is always a bad look, but if you are a walker you have a bit more credibility I reckon.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Interesting thread - good to see people's views on this. I say each to their own, because although it's the moral ground to walk, it's also the right of the umpire to give you out when not, so these things will even out.

How do people feel about claiming catches which weren't?

Because I guess that is kind of simliar of nicking it & not walking. However, I view claiming non catches much more along the lines of "not being cricket"

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Upto the individual but I have no issues with someone not walking. I once did the same myself once in a finals cricket match as I was in disbelief that I was out already.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I reckon claiming a catch that you know bounced is far worse than not walking. When you nick a ball to the keeper, the Umpire has all information at his disposal to make an informed decision. It's his call, and if he gets it wrong then good luck to you. But on a close catch, the Umpire is essentially going off your word as it is way too hard to see with the human eye. If you then lie to the Umpire, then you are nothing more than a cheat.

But I do think those close catches are really hard to judge, as fieldsmen often don't know themselves whether the ball bounced, and technology proves inconclusive more often than not. I do think Ponting's catch in Brisbane was legitimate though, and I admire his crusade to take the fieldsman's word in such circumstances.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Claiming catches that you know aren't is more in the realm of straight out cheating. It's one thing to say to the ump, "I'm not sure", it's another to have the ball clearly bounce in front of you or you dropping it and still claiming the catch.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
i first saw this thread and instantly rolled my eyes while thinking "we already have cycling and running threads, ffs. now this is just getting excessive!"

i suppose i'm for walking. carry on.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Claiming catches that you know aren't is more in the realm of straight out cheating. It's one thing to say to the ump, "I'm not sure", it's another to have the ball clearly bounce in front of you or you dropping it and still claiming the catch.

I'm not sure how people make a difference between the two.

If you know you hit it - you're out. If you know you didn't catch it - not out. It's not that complex is it??

Status
Not open for further replies.