• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Obviously I'm seeing different things. In my book Phipps is far and away the best half in Aus at the moment. Genia needs to be in the 23, probably, but I wouldnt be starting him.

Phipps service if fast (mostly) and under pressure it can miss perfection. But you have to balance both elements. If and when Quade returns to international duty, his passing under pressure in tight traffic can also be forced. I want him to do it though, and kick the arse of the player who drops it. You know what is coming switch on.

No different for Phipps.

(PS Im not necessarily advocating Quade to the end of year internationals in 2016.)

T

TOCC

Phipps is a technically poor halfback by test standards, but he is also the best halfback in Australia, so you can't just cut him and there's no one ready to immediately take his spot. He will be the Wallabies halfback for the foreseeable future, but I'm hopeful that one of the new batch of halfbacks coming through puts their hand up for wallaby selection

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I have always been a Phipps fan, even though I am first to admit his passing isn't accurate enough. The sort of things that I like about Phipps are the energy he injects into a game, his speed of service, which in 2014 was such a breath of fresh air after watching Gregan and then Genia standing behind the breakdown for ages waiving there arms around, his commitment in defence and his ability to go flat out for 80 minutes.

However, for whatever reason, I think he's gone backwards this year. I think that speed and energy has diminished somewhat, and his passing, which was never quite good enough, has got worse. He tends to pass either to the man instead of in front of him, causing him to slow down, or too high.

The fact remains, unfortunately, that we don't have a better one. In my opinion both Frisby and Lucas are workmanlike, but don't look like test footballers, and Stirzacker, after showing so much promise in 2015, seemed to go backwards this year. In fact, I actually thought Meehan looked better than him.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I have always been a Phipps fan, even though I am first to admit his passing isn't accurate enough. The sort of things that I like about Phipps are the energy he injects into a game, his speed of service, which in 2014 was such a breath of fresh air after watching Gregan and then Genia standing behind the breakdown for ages waiving there arms around, his commitment in defence and his ability to go flat out for 80 minutes.

However, for whatever reason, I think he's gone backwards this year. I think that speed and energy has diminished somewhat, and his passing, which was never quite good enough, has got worse. He tends to pass either to the man instead of in front of him, causing him to slow down, or too high.

The fact remains, unfortunately, that we don't have a better one. In my opinion both Frisby and Lucas are workmanlike, but don't look like test footballers, and Stirzacker, after showing so much promise in 2015, seemed to go backwards this year. In fact, I actually thought Meehan looked better than him.
Phipps Genia for the foreseeable future, Powell has the goods if he keeps improving, and Frisby could surprise me, his a very good half.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It seems that the only real (and probably justified) criticism of Phipps is his passing game (from time to time)

Surely this is a basic skill for a footballer, any footballer and particularly a halfback.

Is it a matter of some "expert" training with him throwing a gazillion passes to improve that aspect of his game.

It appears just elementary

Reactions: gel

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah - I agree Scrubber. I do not believe players skills can't be improved at Super Rugby or test level. Maybe new skills are hard to teach, but improvement in the skills that got players to these levels must be possible with proper guidance and time consuming practice. So, passing the ball accurately along with things like catching the ball, running support lines, kicking skills to enhance accuracy or to correct flaws in technique etc can be and should be improved by the coaching staff at Super and test levels.

Reactions: gel

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It's not really a skills issue though is it?

Phipps has the ability to get the ball to a receiver quicker than anyone else in the country because of his own pace to the breakdown and his hand speed at the base.

The inevitable trade-off is that his passes are less accurate than some other halves.

Speed or accuracy - it's very hard to increase one without reducing the other.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The reality is that Phipps has gone through a form slump this year so his weaknesses are being exacerbated because he is making more errors.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Phipps when going well brings an energy and pace to our attack, especially when he's passing the ball out in front of the receivers. Unfortunately he's also prone to some shockers that send us backwards thirty metres as well. This season I've not been impressed with his passing from the ruck base and it cost us against England, not that he was Robinson Crusoe there.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Phipps has the ability to get the ball to a receiver quicker than anyone else in the country because of his own pace to the breakdown and his hand speed at the base.

The inevitable trade-off is that his passes are less accurate than some other halves.

Quite a few dead Gunfighters in the old West who would agree with you about last paragraph:)

It was only the Wyatt Earps' and John Wayne's who could do both (until age even caught up with them)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Yeah, we can have someone who takes longer and is more accurate; and ball receiver is more likely to be running at a more set defence; or we get some less accurate passes at a defensive line still resetting.

To me this perennial question neglects to look at a few areas that also need focus.

Like cleanout accuracy so the 9 isn't battling feet, counter rucks and stray hands; and real effort and communication from the receivers to be ready and telling the nine.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah, I guess you few are right.

He should definitely not bother to try and improve in any way at all.

Ffs, this "he's so speedy and that's why he throws them around all over the place" are just plain wrong.

His service against England was slow. It was still inaccurate.

His speed is not the issue, he simply is poor at passing.

He could improve it by practising. A lot. He quite clearly doesn't because it remains an issue.

He is not alone in this though - there are numerous individuals that quite clearly do not practice the basics based on what utter rubbish they have been shovelling up this season. That is across all of the super rugby franchises.

I have never seen such pathetic skill levels across such a broad range of players and teams in the super rugby before.

This year has been deplorable.

The players are clearly not practising and if they had an ounce of professionalism in them, they would fucking address it themselves.

The clearly don't - so I find it extremely difficult to support them at the moment (I don't support people who purposely elect to lose).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, we can have someone who takes longer and is more accurate; and ball receiver is more likely to be running at a more set defence; or we get some less accurate passes at a defensive line still resetting.

To me this perennial question neglects to look at a few areas that also need focus.

Like cleanout accuracy so the 9 isn't battling feet, counter rucks and stray hands; and real effort and communication from the receivers to be ready and telling the nine.
Sorry, not being a smart arse, but I don't get that. These issues worsen the problem, and yes, the do increase the difficulty for a half to get away a quick and effective pass, but the quality of Phipps pass is not due to someone else's short comings. His passing quality is sub par for a professional rugby half. Regardless of how quickly he gets to the ruck or how fit he is.

Unfortunately, he is still the best we have at present.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
No gel, we're all wrong, you're right.
These Super rugby players don't practice at all, and they purposely elect to lose!!
GAGR has a lot of conflicting but thought out posts, and the odd mindless one. Count yourself among the last group!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, I guess you few are right.

He should definitely not bother to try and improve in any way at all.

Ffs, this "he's so speedy and that's why he throws them around all over the place" are just plain wrong.

His service against England was slow. It was still inaccurate.

His speed is not the issue, he simply is poor at passing.

He could improve it by practising. A lot. He quite clearly doesn't because it remains an issue.

He is not alone in this though - there are numerous individuals that quite clearly do not practice the basics based on what utter rubbish they have been shovelling up this season. That is across all of the super rugby franchises.

I have never seen such pathetic skill levels across such a broad range of players and teams in the super rugby before.

This year has been deplorable.

The players are clearly not practising and if they had an ounce of professionalism in them, they would fucking address it themselves.

The clearly don't - so I find it extremely difficult to support them at the moment (I don't support people who purposely elect to lose).

I'm not sure anyone was advocating this. Very odd thing to say.
And the last sentence is just nonsense.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The most disappointing thing is also that is seems like key playmakers are having real issues passing.

I can understand say, a winger sometimes missing the mark, But a halfback! That is ridiculous.

Lilo at the Brumbies is another prime example, a year of passing behind the man. He's meant to be a key bloody playmaker pushing for wallabies selection but he's had a year of struggling to pass and catch the ball.