• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Its nonsense that Lea isnt in the squad. What 10's are there? Crazy stuff. Is larkham getting his wings clipped? If so, completely wrong area to be doing it.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
He certainly wasn't better than Foley, and none of those other guys made the squad....
My point about those other blokes wasnt that they should of been in the wallabies, it was about establishing the pecking order. Surely even you agree that lealiifano was in our top 2 flyhalves this year. We dont have a lot of choices at flyhalf and with Quade playing the vast majority of his games this year at fullback and not seeing a lot a game time overall, i dont think we can go into the rugby championship just with an out of form foley, and a quade cooper with very limited game time.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh sure, he was the second best starting Australian flyhalf this year, but that's not really saying much.........

He had no form to push for a claim ahead of those guys coming back from overseas, and Giteau and To'omua (despite both being primarily selected for inside centre) will be preferable options to cover flyhalf.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Foley, Cooper, Giteau, To'omua...

I''m a Red AND a Quade fan (no they don't always go together), but honest. That's your view of the order?

Based on the last 12 months we seem to have just one "proven" 10 in the broader crew. A Bloke that many (not me) have been complaining about.

No room for Lea?

Look, go Quade, but like, fuck. Time in the slot and stuff.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He is probably going to take a look at Cooper and see how he is traveling. I'd guess the order is
Foley, To'omua, Cooper, Gits
We seem to have less trouble scrummaging against the RC sides so it's a good time to look at some new options at TH. We are one injury away from trouble here though so we need to uncover some legit options ASAP.

Folau to 13 and Mitchell and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wings with DHP at 15. Throw Giteau in at 12 and all of a sudden we have a bulked up kicking game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I''m a Red AND a Quade fan (no they don't always go together), but honest. That's your view of the order?

Based on the last 12 months we seem to have just one "proven" 10 in the broader crew. A Bloke that many (not me) have been complaining about.

No room for Lea?

Look, go Quade, but like, fuck. Time in the slot and stuff.

Gits has been playing a lot of 10, as such Cooper has been at 15

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Oh sure, he was the second best starting Australian flyhalf this year, but that's not really saying much...

He had no form to push for a claim ahead of those guys coming back from overseas, and Giteau and To'omua (despite both being primarily selected for inside centre) will be preferable options to cover flyhalf.

Yeah, I can't remember a game this year that Lilo bossed a game, he also hasn't played near the gain line this season

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's rough on Holmes, one of the top THPs all year, but could well be seen as an opportunity to test out Robertson as he'll be staying with the Tahs for a few years more yet. Others like Ruan Smith, Les Makin and Tyrell Lomax will all be coming through in 2017/18 as well. Situation is not too bad at THP imo.

Nos 10 and 12 look to be a lot more problematic. Despite the talk about Quade, Giteau and To'omua being prospective 10s, I don't think the situation is quite so clear. Quade's form at 10 must be questionable. He had trouble getting game time there before he left for France and apparently hasn't been playing the position while he was away. Giteau crabs sideways when he plays 10 and has had a lot of critics of his playing style for years. Also, very unlikely that he will make the 2019 RWC as first pick No 10 or 12. MT had no game time at 10 this year in Super Rugby, although I do think it is his best spot. But he is also off o/s next year. Where are the next generation of 10s and 12s coming from?

I like Kerevi at 12, but think Cheika will eventually play him at 13 unless he moves Folau, our best 15, to 13. But a Kerevi/Folau 12/13 doesn't have the second playmaker that Foley so needs to supplement his playing abilities. Hodge is another in prospect, but is largely untested atm. Hope to see him get some really good playing time during the RC, but perhaps that is unlikely given the preference for the o/s based players.

Not sure I can see a plan on the part of the coaches/selectors to deal with problem areas that are now evident and are almost certain to become worse in a year or two.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Its nonsense that Lea isnt in the squad. What 10's are there? Crazy stuff. Is larkham getting his wings clipped? If so, completely wrong area to be doing it.
Gits has been playing a lot of 10, as such Cooper has been at 15
IIRC, Gits has only played 10 in recent times, and has struggled with form due to a lot of injuries (Jan out for 3mth with groin op, in May suffer abductor strain - it happens when you are nearly 34).

QC (Quade Cooper) has rarely played 10, and his time at 15 was limited (15 caps total - Top 14 season is 26 games + finals. plus Champions Cup games). Overall he has had limited game time.

Add in Genia's lack of game time, and the likes of Douglas you have to ask the question about form over reputation.

At some point maybe we should just blatantly copy the Kiwis and pick on form:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...the-line-for-beauden-barrett-and-aaron-cruden

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
At some point maybe we should just blatantly copy the Kiwis and pick on form.

This notion that the Kiwis only pick on form is ridiculous. Guys like Mealamu, Woodcock, Kaino, Nonu and Savea would sleep through Super Rugby, but they'd be picked every year and play like madmen in a black jersey.

They are exactly the same as us, siding with experienced players and occasionally bringing in a form young player when their form is too good to ignore- eg. NMS, DHP.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
IIRC, Gits has only played 10 in recent times, and has struggled with form due to a lot of injuries (Jan out for 3mth with groin op, in May suffer abductor strain - it happens when you are nearly 34).

QC (Quade Cooper) has rarely played 10, and his time at 15 was limited (15 caps total - Top 14 season is 26 games + finals. plus Champions Cup games). Overall he has had limited game time.

Add in Genia's lack of game time, and the likes of Douglas you have to ask the question about form over reputation.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...the-line-for-beauden-barrett-and-aaron-cruden
Which backline players in Australia would you pick on form?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
IIRC, Gits has only played 10 in recent times, and has struggled with form due to a lot of injuries. QC (Quade Cooper) has rarely played 10, and his time at 15 was limited. Overall he has had limited game time.

Dont mind a few decissions of (Euro based form with) reputation ahead of (local) form in the 35. Especially given the generally poor form of Aus super rugby these last couple of months.

I'm really hoping to see To'omua as second fly outside of Foley. (Longer term I hope QC (Quade Cooper) challenges for a starting QC (Quade Cooper)-To'omua combo).

That puts Gitts as bench for 10/12. You can swap the two depending on how you rate them. Quade becomes injury cover. That works for me.

I still think it would be a stronger 35 with Lealiifano named. I'd also like to see Quade getting game time at 10 for (Brisbane) City. So hope he doesnt get locked away in the stands when there is valuable rugby time to be had.

Same scenario applies to Douglas. And I guess Genia if he doesnt get time from the bench.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

OK, I'll bite, who has any form that has been left out?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's rough on Holmes, one of the top THPs all year, but could well be seen as an opportunity to test out Robertson as he'll be staying with the Tahs for a few years more yet. Others like Ruan Smith, Les Makin and Tyrell Lomax will all be coming through in 2017/18 as well. Situation is not too bad at THP imo.

Is Ruan Smith Australian eligible?

If not, he surely isn't getting any closer by going to play in Japan as that would reset the residency qualification period.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
OK, I'll bite, who has any form that has been left out?

Ah - your on to me!;) Exactly who is there especially at 10, or 12 or......

We all know that we have no depth but we don't want can't seem to do anything about it except rinse and repeat. These is the same conversions we had last year pre-RWC and they will continue until we want to change that.

IMHO we are at the what next stage, not the what we already know.