• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Did you actually watch the interview? Wasn't really the context of what he said.

And you know what, it's about time someone involved in Australian Rugby doesn't sugar coat shit.. Too many coaches and players make excuses for each other, it was a poor performance by the Wallabies plain and simple, it deserves its criticism. Australian Rugby is in a bad state, so let's call a spade a spade and get on with fixing it.

100%.

An amusing piece from Fitzsimons along similar lines and I join him in increasingly detesting the soft PC use of the word 'disappointing':

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fit...stop-using-a-weasel-word-20160826-gr1rd4.html

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
100%.

An amusing piece from Fitzsimons along similar lines and I join him in increasingly detesting the soft PC use of the word 'disappointing':

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fit...stop-using-a-weasel-word-20160826-gr1rd4.html

How truthful.
Reminds of a post-match interview Slipper did once at super rugby. Used the word disappointing like 10 times in the interview alone.
That being said, there is the off-chance that it is just some bullshit that they spout in interviews and private reviews are more honest.
In other words, the stuff said in the private reviews isn't PG
Also the thing about Hayne was truthful (no one gives a flying fuck about him media, so STFU about it).
PFS is the only rugby journalist who has the balls to take pot shots at league

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Of course what they say behind closed doors is different. They are media trained to almost as much as for the rugby field

The media, commentators and idiot fans like me and you crucify them if they stray slightly off the well worn cliched path.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I found the rubbish that is spouted in public comes to be believed by those spouting it. It is much easier on oneself to be disappointed that admit that you don't have the skills required and haven't for some time despite being told how good you are.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I found the rubbish that is spouted in public comes to be believed by those spouting it. It is much easier on oneself to be disappointed that admit that you don't have the skills required and haven't for some time despite being told how good you are.
Who's telling the Wallabies how good they are at the moment?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Who's telling the Wallabies how good they are at the moment?

Its more a comment on how most of those in the Wallabies have come through the various HPUs, school boys etc etc. They are identified and moved into the "professional" system. How many are confronted and told about the weak spots in their game by oppositions at club level and tormented for it during a game and disabused of the idea they are special, so they worked hard on the skills they had issues with to live up to their special potential.

We the fans may well be giving them the raspberry at the moment, but the official word is "disappointment" not we are shit at so many aspects of the game and really should have been better since we are supposed to be professional.

T

Train Without a Station

Gnostic funnily enough I have read the same sentiment from League fans.

It's almost as though both codes are competing to try and attract this talent.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Getting a little worried about the amount of Fijians we are picking up and qualifying and the 3 year residency rule.

Guys like Kuridrani and Kerevi moved here as children and not for rugby so I'm happy for these, but it's guys like Naiyaravoro, Nabuli and Koroibete

I know League actually brought them over (Nabuli & Koroibete) while Naiyaravoro got picked up by NZ first, but at least they usually play for FIJI still as a nation whilst working in AUS.

Part of me wishes thatwe had a Pacific Islander Marque player allowance, as we do have a separate one for Japan, so that they don't feel that their options are

A) Work in Europe & Play for FIJI
B) Work in AUS & Play for AUS

Clearly it also involves a heavy financial issue, as our Japanese players are really here to up their skills, whilst they earn the paypacket for their Top League teams.

Would be nice if they had the option to work in AUS and Play for FIJI. Let's use Naivalu for an example. He becomes eligible in a couple weeks and will play for AUS.

I suggest that Australia (league and union) is the biggest threat to the future of Fijian Rugby.

Just need a billionaire to come along and be like, hey Fiji guys, if you wanna keep playing in Aus but represent Fiji like you do in league, then here is some extra cash to support you as a Marque Player so you don't have to feel as though you are giving it up a) representing fiji or b) leaving australia, for money

Not really a question or a solution here, just a general rant.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What about Tongans and Samoans? PNG? Cook Islanders? Etc etc?

But while we are on the subject, what protects us against our own best and brightest being poached by the dastardly northerners?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
same sentiment applies. However I can't remember any other players from island nations whom have recently opted to play for australia over their country immediately following their 3 year residency fulfillment.

Our best and brightest don't get poached very often in a scenario where they then play for that country over australia.

One example may be alo-emile if he plays for france. That's about it.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
That would horrify me if that happened.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to having him and Sefa on the wings for the Rebels next season hopefully tearing it up.

But this is showing the ARU have topped up his contract and need another success story like Folau and not another story like Hunt. Can't think of any other reason for it.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
There's supposed to be two tour games as well as the Tests, according to some articles. Particularly if it's an inflated squad going to Europe, they'd be a good opportunity to get back into it.