• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Always amazes me that there aren't more locks with a bit of long distance goal kicking to their name.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He did rightly get his membership revoked from the International Rugby Forwards' Club when he became a test goal kicker though.

I can't think of any forwards who have been top level goal kickers since. Can anyone?

Not since. Wracking my brains I can think of John Gray who was a hooker who played rugby for England and then switched codes to play for North Sydney Bears. He was a very good goal kicker. ( Probably the only rugby hooker who played top line league, too.). Correction: of course Ken Kearney was a rugby hooker and Wallaby before he switched.

Another one, around the same time, was John Taylor, a Welsh flanker, who kicked a famous side-line conversion to win a Test match.

Incidentally, Eales was a very good cricketer and probably still plays very good golf.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
People (and the selectors) probably don't have fond memories of the Deans era when he threw McCabe @ 12 and Horne @ 13.
That is probably why people don't like a dual crash baller @ 12 - don't want a repeat of McCabe-Horne. What we need is a crash baller with good playmaking/distributing skills - doesn't exist in rugby in Australia atm
McCabe at one stage after his broken neck before the second one was on fire, offloads hard running and some great interplay.. pity his gone

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I really liked Pat McCabe as a footballer. Courageous, wholehearted, great team man and he actually had a bit of skill. The kind of bloke you'd gladly run into battle with any day of the week. The problem was that he was too similar to his centre partner, whether it was Horne or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). That to me is the issue when you don't play a complementary midfield: there is no variation in attack and it all becomes a bit too one dimensional. You know that both blokes were going to run hard and straight and if the opposition defences were set it was an exercise in futility. Pat could hit a hole pretty well though. I remember several times when he ran a great angle and busted the line or scored.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
What we need is a crash baller with good playmaking/distributing skills - doesn't exist in rugby in Australia atm

This guy didn't exist in NZ either until the All Black program invested a lot of time and TLC into Nonu. Before this, rugby teams tried the bloke in every role they could (even some time on the wing for the Canes).

I honestly think Samu Kerevi could be this guy, he has the skills just not the game sense and vision (yet). Play him at 12, invest that time and effort, and then get another threat-in-contact into the 13 jersey. We actually already have candidates for this role - Folau and Kuridrani.

Others like Hodge for the long term 12 jersey but TBH I think Hodge looks more like a Conrad Smith foil then a 2nd playmaker 12. Still, like I said above, with investment and good coaching he could be the 'Nonu' role.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I don't think we can afford to have pre-conceived ideas about whether to look for a crash-balling 12 (Kerevi) or a play maker. For example, just for argument's sake, if a player like Simone keeps improving, it might be worth going for him as a play maker.

We do not have the depth to stick to one recipe. We will have to tailor our team selections according to the talent we have.

Pocock at 8 is a classic example.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think we can afford to have pre-conceived ideas about whether to look for a crash-balling 12 (Kerevi) or a play maker. For example, just for argument's sake, if a player like Simone keeps improving, it might be worth going for him as a play maker.

We do not have the depth to stick to one recipe. We will have to tailor our team selections according to the talent we have.

Pocock at 8 is a classic example.

Sure, I don't disagree but that's why I'm talking about taking what's working (Kerevi) and developing more depth in his skillset.

That being said, we bemoan our depth in Aus but really the only nations with more depth than us at New Zealand, South Africa, France, and England.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think it is a reasonable expectation to see Kerevi improve his distribution skills, as there are signs already I believe of Mick Byrne's influence on this aspect of his play. He is now looking to off load to supports as he makes a half break or is about to be caught by the cover defense. Just needs to improve his execution and he's more than half way there. If we then see some deft kicking options come to the fore over the next season or two, then we will have our version of Nonu, and he would be possibly just as dangerous a player at 12 as Nonu.

I also think Hodge shows promise as a 12, and that Simone has potential there too, so I sincerely hope that Byrne is able to work his magic with them all and we don't get to see Matt Giteau coming back on the strength of his over-hyped capabilities.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Hodge looks like a long term prospect for 12. Chek needs to pick the bloke there and give him a few consecutive starts (at 12) to build some sort of combination with Quade or Foley (at 10) and Kerevi at 13.

Kerevi is now a definite 13. He is pretty good now but when he gets those offloads right he will be awesome.

Foley for good or bad is a 10 - nothing more, nothing less. Quade has gone OK but certainly hasn't set the world on fire yet.

Reactions: dru

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
all this talk of positions for players - until we see a centralised approach and soup coaches playing guys where they are wanted in the wallabies its a moot point. not sure we'll get it with the aru focused on responding to the lack of grassroots investment.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting isn't it ?

Different perspectives. But the guy wasn't talking about lineouts etc more about physicality.

One from an armchair critic (including ME) and one from a guy who played close to the great one.

I wonder who's perspective is more correct.

Eales was a great foil for a more physical lock, he wasn't a physical imposition type of player, maybe that is where it comes from. Indeed when Eales was at his best he was paired with somebody like Garrick Morgan, Tom Bowman etc.

We can use the same arguments now about balance in the second row and the backrow strangely enough, just think how people say that Hooper doesn't do the "hard stuff" while Pocock does.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Morgan was a loose player. Loved to lurk outwide. Not the tough tight player that Eales was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I thought that Garrick played a bit below his weight at times. Guys like Giffin, McCall, Harrison and Bowman were excellent partners for the great man. The classic combination of gazelle and rock shifter that I like to see in the second row.

Reactions: TSR

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Without being overly enthusiastic, or too one-eyed, who would you ACTUALLY take on the spring tour from the NRC?

Note: Not blokes like Morahan or Latu, they're already in there.

I'd take.........
Bill Meakes - He makes good reads and looks good in contact in both attack and defence. Kerevi might be injured so there's sense here.
Jake Gordon - He plays good tempo and supports well, and I've seen more from him I like than Powell. The sense here is that we need to name four halfbacks because Genia won't be available for periods.

I'd CONSIDER taking.........
Ross Haylett-Petty - Not the finished product, but has looked good at times and is a foil for the Mumm/Fardy role. The coaches have decided this is a damn necessary role, and neither Mumm nor Fardy will make it through to the WC.
Tom Staniforth - More of a lock, but played well at 6. Same reasons as above.
Lukhan Tui - A bit body who looks talented. Still, could use a full preseason and more super games.