• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I've been giving it some thought and I am actually very excited about the number of young players coming through who I think could have an impact at Test level in the next two years. It doesn't mean I'm necessarily loving the coaching setup or the selections this year, but it did get me thinking about a current 23 of players who are no older than 25.

Look forward to a bit of discussion about where I'm right and wrong here...

My main issue is at 10, but I still think that Hodge could make a go of it there long term. My only cover for him is Godwin, but an alternative could be Meehan on the pine covering 9/10...

Sio, Latu, Robertson
Coleman, Skelton
McMahon, Hooper (C), Holloway
Frisby, Hodge
Godwin, Kuridrani
Naivalu, Kellaway, Koroibete

RES: Ready, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Ross HP, Reid, Stirzaker, Kerevi, Naiyaravoro

Others I considered: Ainsley, Butler, Debreczeni, Dempsey, English, C. Fainga'a, Feauaui-Sautia, Gordon, Hanigan, Hardwick, Hutchison, Lucas, Meakes, Meehan, Perese, Powell, Rona, Shipperley, Simone, Staniforth, Tui

Players overseas who I would have picked: Alo-Emile, Gill, Jones

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
remember foley and quade were both regular starters in their early 20's. with another few years under their belts, I'm sure there will be a schoolboy either last year, this year, or in the next 2 years that could be up next.

Unfortunately, recent aus u20 flyhalves have struggled to really shine like those guys had. Deegan, Mcintyre, Greene and Mason havn't stood out in their provincial teams like foley and quade did at the same time, nor even JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale.

New Sevens player Isaac Lucas, QLD schoolboy player of the year will be one the Reds should be looking at for flyhalf in their u20 team next year.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
remember foley and quade were both regular starters in their early 20's. with another few years under their belts, I'm sure there will be a schoolboy either last year, this year, or in the next 2 years that could be up next.

Unfortunately, recent aus u20 flyhalves have struggled to really shine like those guys had. Deegan, Mcintyre, Greene and Mason havn't stood out in their provincial teams like foley and quade did at the same time, nor even JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale.

New Sevens player Isaac Lucas, QLD schoolboy player of the year will be one the Reds should be looking at for flyhalf in their u20 team next year.

Agreed. I still hope Mason, Jooste or Debreczeni, in particular, step up and make it to the next level.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
There's been good Aussie 10s since, but they were converted (Hodge and Godwin).

Probably the right call considering their skill-sets, but who knows what would've happened if they were persisted with.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
There's been good Aussie 10s since, but they were converted (Hodge and Godwin).

Probably the right call considering their skill-sets, but who knows what would've happened if they were persisted with.

To be fair, they are both young enough to go back the other way - I'd love to see Hodgey play 10 for the Rebels with Jack at fullback, for example.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
To be fair, they are both young enough to go back the other way - I'd love to see Hodgey play 10 for the Rebels with Jack at fullback, for example.

They are, but I think Hodge's strength is his ball running and weakness is his decision making. I think there would be issues.

Hodgey at FB I wouldn't mind.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Jooste definitely has promise, and arguably outplayed Jordie Barratt in one of the U20s matches last year. But at Super level, he will need to tighten up his defense to make it there imo. Otherwise, he has a nice pass, can take the line on himself and has a boot in the class of Hodge/Debreczini. Will be interesting to see if he can control a game at Super level in the next year or tewo and to see if he becomes a more effective tackler.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
The four or five other members of this Forum who feel that Israel Folau is an over-paid, under-performing "non-star" will be interested to hear that, today, he refused to rule out a move to New Zealand after he marries a NZ netball player.

Israel's excuse for his ongoing "bad form" is that he has "demons", namely alcohol, partying and depression!! (According to Brisbane Chn 7 News tonight).

I am trying very, very hard not to say what I really feel!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ TBF he's actually said that in relation to his time as a very young NRL superstar & credits his time in AFL & a timely-in-retrospect injury for helping him reconnect with his Mormon upbringing.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11769001

Contracted with ARU & 'tahs until 2018 so I think any suggestion of a move to Auckland is either wishful thinking or, more likely, complete BS.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
^^^^^^^^^ TBF he's actually said that in relation to his time as a very young NRL superstar & credits his time in AFL & a timely-in-retrospect injury for helping him reconnect with his Mormon upbringing.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11769001

Contracted with ARU & 'tahs until 2018 so I think any suggestion of a move to Auckland is either wishful thinking or, more likely, complete BS.

I'm only reporting what I heard (and saw) about two hours ago.

I don't give a toss what the guy does, as long as it doesn't adversely affect MY national Rugby team!!

T

TOCC

The four or five other members of this Forum who feel that Israel Folau is an over-paid, under-performing "non-star" will be interested to hear that, today, he refused to rule out a move to New Zealand after he marries a NZ netball player.

Israel's excuse for his ongoing "bad form" is that he has "demons", namely alcohol, partying and depression!! (According to Brisbane Chn 7 News tonight).

If that's why Ch 7 reported then they misquoted him, that's not what he said.. he said the alcohol, partying and depression was when he was at the Broncos and AFL, and that he found peace in 2012 by moving away from them and returning to his religion.
the original article is reported in on one of New Zealand's news websites.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
If that's why Ch 7 reported then they misquoted him, that's not what he said.. he said the alcohol, partying and depression was when he was at the Broncos and AFL, and that he found peace in 2012 by moving away from them and returning to his religion.
the original article is reported in on one of New Zealand's news websites.

TOCC, the key part of my post was that "he refused to rule out a move to New Zealand".
Whether or not that was a component of any previous interview, or any article in a New Zealand news website, I wouldn't know.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

I read a newspaper article a day or so ago which said, inter alia, that when he first broke into the NRL at the age of 18 or so he had problems with alcohol etc etc. My understanding is that he has turned his life around, he is a committed Christian, an active member of his local Uniting Church congregation.

That would not make much of a television news story, I guess.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
His wife has to play domestically otherwise she can't represent NZ, by 2018 Folau will be eligible under the giteau clause. Actually makes a lot of sense for him to move to an NZ rugby team

It would improve his performance, I reckon. Either that or he would be on the bench, or out altogether.