• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

T

TOCC

His wife has to play domestically otherwise she can't represent NZ, by 2018 Folau will be eligible under the giteau clause. Actually makes a lot of sense for him to move to an NZ rugby team

It makes every sense except for money.. New Zealand Super Rugby sides have centrally controlled contracts, there would be uproar in New Zealand if the NZRU allocated $800'000 to an Australian player.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
It makes every sense except for money.. New Zealand Super Rugby sides have centrally controlled contracts, there would be uproar in New Zealand if the NZRU allocated $800'000 to an Australian player.

So do you think NZRU would turn down the opportunity to sign him to a franchise?

T

TOCC

So do you think NZRU would turn down the opportunity to sign him to a franchise?

If that 'opportunity' cost $800k(conservatively) then they would turn it down. NZRU wouldn't pay that much for a player who is ineligible for the All Blacks.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think NZRU would actively prevent Folau from playing for (presumably) the Blues, they're allowed a non-NZ eligible marquee player, but I also doubt they'd pay him any more than the minimum contract. The Blues would have to find the rest & stay within the salary cap ($4.65Mn as of next year) in doing so.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
crusaders would have been paying a healthy some for Nadolo. Digby is there also (but not probably on HEAPS)

Chances are if Folau was at the Blues, they would allow for him to partake in Japanese stints

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nadolo wasn't technically a marquee player IIRC, as there's a special category for PI- as opposed to everyone else-eligible players. So he'd have been on more than the minimum but not as much as his AB squad mates in terms of NZRU $ with the Crusaders making up the difference with third party money (which still counts under the salary cap).

Not sure about Ioane's status but presumably he's there under the marquee player provision. I just hope we're not paying him too much (& knowing Hamish Riach's MO from his days as Treasurer of what was then Manawatu County Council, I doubt we will be) what with his dodgy knee(s?).

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
He's spoken about his partner moving to facilitate his career in the past, and him needing to reciprocate at some point. I see this as very healthy, family over country and as a pacific islander I'm sure there's plenty of family (or at least community) over there anyway.

By then he'll have the necessary caps and time spent playing in Aus for Gitt's Law.

Best case: his form is good and his contract is picked up by another country whose playing season lines up perfectly with ours (not like the Euro clubs and Genia).
Worse case: his form is bad, and someone else pays for it.

Win-win.

T

TOCC

Best case: his form is good and his contract is picked up by another country whose playing season lines up perfectly with ours (not like the Euro clubs and Genia).
Worse case: his form is bad, and someone else pays for it.

Win-win.

'Best case' would be Folau in good form and remaining in Australia..

New Zealand netball only made the decision of not selecting Aussie based players this year, wages in australian netball are growing faster then New Zealand, couple of their stars already play in Oz.. wouldn't be surprised to see the ruling reversed

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
'Best case' would be Folau in good form and remaining in Australia..

New Zealand netball only made the decision of not selecting Aussie based players this year, wages in australian netball are growing faster then New Zealand, couple of their stars already play in Oz.. wouldn't be surprised to see the ruling reversed

I believe at most it affects two kiwis at the moment, while it could very well change I doubt it would change before 2018

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I believe at most it affects two kiwis at the moment, while it could very well change I doubt it would change before 2018

Has Folau signed till Dec 2018 or Jan 2018? If its Dec 2018 then Folau won't go anywhere till the 2019 RWC, after which I would expect him to go to the highest bidder. If he's still in form he would command huge coin in France.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Izzy's two 3 year contracts would've covered the calendar years of 2013-15 and 2016 to the end of 2018. Hopefully.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Or the game here as a whole. His loss would be a huge blow, the amount of publicity, promotion, etc that revolves around Izzy is huge.

If he goes, who will replace him as the most newsworthy Australian based player?

I actually quite like the idea of Izzy playing in NZ.

It's shit for the 'tahs, but great for the wallabies. We get to have (and develop) 6 starting fullbacks in soup teams. NZ will only be developing 4 starting fullbacks. Izzy will get great experience and someone like Kellaway will get more attention and practice.

Reactions: gel

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems more likely to me that they would resolve the issue by having two residences for a period of time so they can both keep playing for their respective teams.

How much of the year would Tutaia need to live in NZ to be able to play in the domestic netball competition? Their new competition is scheduled to run from March to June.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It seems more likely to me that they would resolve the issue by having two residences for a period of time so they can both keep playing for their respective teams.

How much of the year would Tutaia need to live in NZ to be able to play in the domestic netball competition? Their new competition is scheduled to run from March to June.

Plus test stuff thereafter. Like rugby it's a long season.