• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
You'd think so.

I don't think Cheika will take dropping Phipps lightly, but I think the fact that Gibson has decided that Gordon is in front of him at the moment will count for something.

Unless of course Cheika thinks Gibson is the cause of the Waratahs problems and backs himself to bring out the best of Phipps.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeah fair enough. I'd happily shift Beale to 12 with DHP at 15, Bring Hodge back to the bench and Hunt to miss out in the big ones pending form, injuries etc.

That said, there is no real debate for me anymore that Israel Folau is a winger (with the ability to cover 15) and potentially a best in the world given enough gametime and used in the right way.

Why do you say Folau is potentially the best in the world as a winger? I'm interested in what you see in this as his defence has been nothing startling, he hasn't shown really high levels of speed, his kicking is ordinary - what he does have is the ability to break tackles no question but he seems to lack urgency around the field, getting back into position etc. Clearly he is a great athlete and I am not suggesting there are necessarily better wingers in Australian rugby at the moment but as you say he needs gametime in the position to show whether he has what it takes. I've found his play quite disappointing of late and I am not a Tahs hater, I like to see all the top players performing well, regardless of the team they play for.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Why do you say Folau is potentially the best in the world as a winger? I'm interested in what you see in this as his defence has been nothing startling, he hasn't shown really high levels of speed, his kicking is ordinary - what he does have is the ability to break tackles no question but he seems to lack urgency around the field, getting back into position etc. Clearly he is a great athlete and I am not suggesting there are necessarily better wingers in Australian rugby at the moment but as you say he needs gametime in the position to show whether he has what it takes. I've found his play quite disappointing of late and I am not a Tahs hater, I like to see all the top players performing well, regardless of the team they play for.

I think Folau has played his best Rugby when he was on the wing. Since moving to 15, I don't think he has been as effective or dangerous.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I think Folau has played his best Rugby when he was on the wing. Since moving to 15, I don't think he has been as effective or dangerous.

He's played what 3 games on the wing? Folau at the moment would be wasted on the wing as he's one of the few players currenly in Australian rugby who can beat a man one on one and set up his outside men.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
For a couple of years at least, Folau was rated one of the best No 15s in world rugby, vying with the likes of Dagg and Smith for that label. Playing at 15 caused other sides to have to modify their game plans to try to avoid kicking the ball in general play directly to him because of his abilities in the air and on counter attack. He was a lock-in for the Wallabies' No 15 spot.

Then the Tahs and most of their fan base wanted him to play 13. His form since has dropped off remarkably to the point where he is now on the brink of not making the starting test side.

I don't care that he hasn't got the greatest kicking game - his threat is as a runner from the back and that is just what Aus rugby needs right now, at Super level and for the Wallabies. Get him back to 15 asap in the Tahs and keep him there for the Wallabies. It is a no brainer. At the same time, DHP retains his wing spot as well.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
For a couple of years at least, Folau was rated one of the best No 15s in world rugby, vying with the likes of Dagg and Smith for that label. Playing at 15 caused other sides to have to modify their game plans to try to avoid kicking the ball in general play directly to him because of his abilities in the air and on counter attack. He was a lock-in for the Wallabies' No 15 spot.

Then the Tahs and most of their fan base wanted him to play 13. His form since has dropped off remarkably to the point where he is now on the brink of not making the starting test side.

I don't care that he hasn't got the greatest kicking game - his threat is as a runner from the back and that is just what Aus rugby needs right now, at Super level and for the Wallabies. Get him back to 15 asap in the Tahs and keep him there for the Wallabies. It is a no brainer. At the same time, DHP retains his wing spot as well.

a) Did they do a poll on this?
b) What difference does that make to where he plays, which I think remains a coaching decision? As we know, fan forums at the Tahs are not designed to be interactive! ;)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Id just like to say Speights been kicking quite well this season..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

I don't care that he hasn't got the greatest kicking game - his threat is as a runner from the back and that is just what Aus rugby needs right now, at Super level and for the Wallabies.

I agree with all of that - but do you think he could do a similiar job on the wing?

Modern (Australian?) rugby players and coaches still seem to have an aversion to putting their best players on the wing. I'm not necessarily saying Izzy is our best at the moment but he certainly has a higher ceiling and many of his attributes could work wonderfully on the wing. Then get the ball to him.

I think one of the things holding Izzy at 15 has been the lack of other options, but I would like to see a combination of Hunt, Beale & DHP deployed in the 12 & 15 shirts (and yes, I would be ok with seeing Hunt picked at 12). On his day, Izzy is probably better than all of them - but for mine, importantly, I feel he would be one of our best two wingers. And those 3, particularly Hunt & Beale, are good distributors.

Throw in Speight and I think we have the makings of our strongest outside back combination for some time (I expect TK to get the nod at 13 on the basis of superior defence.)

Our problems will be in the halves & locks.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
DHP's out for the June tests and I wonder if that actually solves a back three problem for Cheika rather than creating one.

Speight will be on one wing. It's hard not to see Beale, Folau, Khunt and Hodge representing the 12, 11/14, 15 and 23 jerseys. It's just going to be a matter of who is in which one.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Is DHP actually out? Haven't seen anything confirming that, just that there was a chance he wouldn't be back in time.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So who plays LHP now with Sio likely out and Slipper gone?

Robertson?

Toby Smith perhaps if he comes back from injury strongly enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Is DHP actually out? Haven't seen anything confirming that, just that there was a chance he wouldn't be back in time.
Dave wessels said on local radio yesterday that he would be out for 4 weeks. This was after kernes on kick chase said 10 weeks. I think wessels has the better info.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hamies are fickle, I'd say it'd be a 4 week minimum, Cheiks will be pleading not to push him back early, not that he really considered the Rebels when they pushed Mcmahon.

Sio is still a maybe for this weekend isn't he? Surely he will be ok for June.

5 props will be Sio, Ala'alatoa, Kepu, Robertson & Smith - maybe even see Lomax get a bench spot against a weaker team, Cheik seems to be a fan and weeks/faulker/talakai arn't playing the house down. Imagine he'd rather back Thor and Lomax and then to push for WC spots.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
He's played what 3 games on the wing? Folau at the moment would be wasted on the wing as he's one of the few players currenly in Australian rugby who can beat a man one on one and set up his outside men.

Evidence does not support this statement. Lack of passing skills and lack of actual positioning to assist a support player would be the keys to making this statement somewhere near truthful.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
So who plays LHP now with Sio likely out and Slipper gone?

Robertson?

Toby Smith perhaps if he comes back from injury strongly enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowan? Has played OK and certainly not worse than some other LHPs with Wallaby experience like Ryan.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

OK I heard 10 weeks (must have been Kearns on Kick and Chase), but it will be at least 4. The optimistic outcome rarely comes to fruition though. It will likely be something in between, maybe he'll miss the first test or two and catch the second and/or third.

Haylett-Petty will miss at least the next four weeks after suffering the injury in the 16-7 defeat to the Chiefs on the weekend at NIB Stadium.
His best hope of returning to Super Rugby action appears to be their away clash against the Queensland Reds on May 26 or at home to the Hurricanes the following weekend.