• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
How did he go at his previous gig? I haven't really followed NH coaching ranking tables much.

Did their forwards go OK? Genuine question, I wouldn't have a clue. Or are we basing it on how he was before he left Australia?

Resigned in March this year. Gloucester had topped their group in the Challenge Cup, and they were 9th in the Aviva with five rounds to go. Finals were probably out-of-reach, but a guaranteed Champions Cup place was definitely in reach.
Definitely underperforming for a team of that quality, just look at their squad list. Motivation was never an issue, but they were tactically suspect in big games and often found out. They looked their best when guys like Burns, Twelvetrees, and Marshall got their hands on the ball.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Dean Mumms retiring at the end of the season!

Freedom is almost ours! Rejoice, my friends, rejoice!

Huzzah!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Fardy is needed for his breakdown prowess in the absence of Pocock, however should Skelton and Mumm take a back seat in the upcoming series to players that either a) are experienced, in form and committed through the to WC- eg, Higs and Carter and developing players such as Hanigan, RHP and Tui?

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yes it was a riduculous, if not entirely distasteful comment. Gain some grace M.

All the very best Dean and thanks sincerely for your service.

It was largely tongue-in-cheeky. Never minded Dean - the only problems I have with him are the RWC GF and his handbags. Otherwise he's been a solid player for both club and country.

In other news, all Wallabies fans should check out this ripper video of the Tahs vs Rebels on the weekend:

https://www.facebook.com/nswwaratahs/videos/10154796117627144/

Paints Hooper's ref management in a new light. Really good leadership.

Improving his prospects for next permanent Wallabies captain?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Brumby Runner can finally rest easy!

I am not unhappy that DM has announced his retirement from the Wallabies, as in my opinion (as a fan) he seemed to be selected on many occasions when better players were ignored. It would not have bothered me at all had he decided to play on for the Tahs, but if the report is correct, you will be getting a more than worthy replacement in Staniforth, who will just be coming into his prime over the next few years.

Good luck to Dean in his life after rugby, especially in his trek to the Pole if it comes off.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In other news, all Wallabies fans should check out this ripper video of the Tahs vs Rebels on the weekend:

https://www.facebook.com/nswwaratahs/videos/10154796117627144/

Paints Hooper's ref management in a new light. Really good leadership.

Improving his prospects for next permanent Wallabies captain?

Well, GAGR's Tuesday Top 5 The Good, The Bad & The Ugly from this week.........

Bad: “Exasperated captain Michael Hooper confessed to being unable to control his ill-disciplined Waratahs …” (from abc.net.au and other various news sites)

This is at least the 2nd occasion that Michael Hooper has told the referee that his team aren’t following his instructions. This time it was “I’m trying my best but it’s over eagerness, mate” after being told to talk to his team about repeated infringements.

Gardner had none of it and told him to talk to the team, which Hooper completely failed to do, returning to the defensive line without a word to them.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Hooper has been great as Captain, particularly in the last few matches. He and Foley gave everyone who needed it a dressing down mid-match against the Rebels and they both lead by example.

Better than Moore and his whiney bullshit.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well, GAGR's Tuesday Top 5 The Good, The Bad & The Ugly from this week...

It's interesting that punters are taking those ref exchanges as being really bad and the rugby media is largely praising him for it and suggesting it's a sign that his captaincy is coming of age.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Hooper really is a very good rugby player both at the Tahs and Wallaby levels.
Unfortunately for him he'll never be remembered as a great 7. More likely he will always be in Pocock's shadow (which really is a shame). That is that Pocock was the better 7.

However, he is not a good captain. He tries to lead by example (but plenty are critical of his 7 play) and the qualities of captaincy far outweigh that. Think there are quite a few examples of poor captaincy.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Unfortunately for him he'll never be remembered as a great 7. More likely he will always be in Pocock's shadow (which really is a shame). That is that Pocock was the better 7.

However, he is not a good captain. He tries to lead by example (but plenty are critical of his 7 play) and the qualities of captaincy far outweigh that. Think there are quite a few examples of poor captaincy.

bet you $1 that you are pretty well 100% wrong

He has played 50 odd tests in just 5 years and is still just 25, lets wait until he hits 30 and near 100 tests before we work out his legacy.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^^

Much depends on Poey and the man love exhibited towards him (which I personally don't agree with but)

But I have squirrelled away that buck

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Essentially, what fatprop said.

I also hate the "Hooper isn't a 7" or "Hooper isn't a great 7" comments.

His ruck work is, whilst not quite as good as Pococks, absolutely excellent and Forcefan's stats prove this every Wallaby season.

He's leading the Super Rugby for turnovers this year, he's a great forwards / backs link, he has fantastic skills, he is a great ball runner and he is a capable lineout jumper.

It's not that he's not a "true 7" or "doesn't do a 7s work" - he simply does so, so much more than that and people remember his highlights (line breaks) and not the itty gritty stuff he does so consistently.

I'd also say that I haven't been the biggest fan of his captaincy in the past, but how much do we miss?

I commented in the Tahs vs Rebels thread that Hooper wasn't talking to the team but this was obviously some camera manipulation as the footage I have just linked shows that he clearly was and doing a great job of it.

Further than that, as fat prop said, he's only 25. Can we really judge his current leadership skills for the way he captained a team when he was 23 or 22?

I'm 22 now and I'm certainly not the same as I was, in terms of skill set or personality, when I was 19 or 20. We're all inherently fluid / dynamic people, so I don't know why we should view Hooper, or his leadership potential, as so static or black-and-white.

He's developing into a great leader and in a year or two he may be an outstanding Wallabies captain.

Time will tell.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He has played 50 odd tests in just 5 years and is still just 25, lets wait until he hits 30 and near 100 tests before we work out his legacy.

65 tests now.

If he managed to stay healthy for all of this year he could be up to 80 tests soon after his 26th birthday.

I reckon there's a strong chance he'll be the Wallaby captain at the next RWC and potentially the one after that.

Reactions: dru