• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
In regards to Bolters (Those who are NOT capped)

I predict
- Sam Talakai and Angus Taavao to be involved for TH development
- Arnold to get capped & Coleman to be involved for development
- Vaea to get capped and L.Timani to be involved for development

- Stirzaker & Frisby to BOTH get capped
- Debrazcini to be involved for development
- Kerevi to get capped and Hunt to be involved
- Naivalu to be involved for development towards eligibility

Really?

1/ A prop width a dubious scrummaging history in Auckland OK ........................
2/ Only if he sheds a lot of weight
3/ A unit to play where? He ain't a test lock and he ain't a test back rower
4/ We have a test coach wanting a play maker 10/12 at 12, so not there, 13? "If" Kuridrani is wounded, I would rather see Hunt, his defensive work is far superior
5/ We have a thousand winger all ready lined up

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Sefa's worth bringing in and around the squad. NMS is proof that genuine pace, running good lines and a hella offload is so valuable at Test level, Sefa has all that.

3 of the world cup wingers are overseas come end of Super Rugby, and while Two dads and Mitchell remain eligible, with no Lions Test or World Cup imminent, they might not end up being selected. Horne may switch back to center for the Tahs with the backline reshuffle. Naiyaravoro is a 50/50 chance to return. The other wingers used in the last two years are Cummins and Betham, both of whom are overseas.

I'm not saying that he needs to be rushed into the Wallabies starting line up as soon as he's eligible, but he'd be someone who'd be worthwhile at least training in and around the squad to see what he could offer.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Really?

1/ A prop width a dubious scrummaging history in Auckland OK ........
2/ Only if he sheds a lot of weight
3/ A unit to play where? He ain't a test lock and he ain't a test back rower
4/ We have a test coach wanting a play maker 10/12 at 12, so not there, 13? "If" Kuridrani is wounded, I would rather see Hunt, his defensive work is far superior
5/ We have a thousand winger all ready lined up

1) Naive to think Cheika wasn't involved in getting him over to be the starting prop at the Waratahs to replace Kepu (with aussie eligibility)..so maybe not a huge leap of faith to think he could possibly be involved in the wider group somewhere.

2) Sheds weight..wow how incredibly academic of you.
3) No one not capped is a test back rower...because they havn't been capped.... He's young, fit (unlike Vaea according to you), hits hard and dominates his space... and is clearly built as a no.8 but fills in at lock because he's a scrum anchor.

3cont.) So we immediately write off Vaea and Timani, apparently too fat and shit for you. OK.

Traditional 6's -Fardy is old, Dennis isn't international standard, Mumm and Jones are 5 1/2s, and our top two potential 6's in Higs and Mowen are ineligible
Traditional 8's - Mccalman is a workrate player, there is only 1 of him, and he is played through Japan, therefore highly likely to be bloody tired
Traditional 7's - Pocock, hoops, mcmahon and gill are all differing versions of a 7 and as much as I loved POOPER, unfortunately the lack of a 'big human' dominating like 'big humans' should, was a massive problem v the AB's.

So take out those players..and you do you believe should be invested in for the 6 and 8 jerseys? (making the wild assumption that Australia wants quality depth)

4) We have a test coach who has already included Kerevi in his training squad once, so I don't think it's a huge stretch to think he may do it again....

5) A thousand wingers??
Digby --> Not eligible
Cummins --> Not eligible
Naiyaravoro --> Maybe, but currently Not eligible
Betham --> Not eligible
JOC (James O'Connor) --> Not eligible
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) --> Will pick if we are desperate
Mitchell--> Will pick if we are desperate
Shipperly & Morohan --> Definitely Wallaby starters, best wingers in the world, that's why they keep getting picked..oh wait.

Speight --> Will probably be focusing on the OLYMPICS, but ok, let's hope he players wallabies aswell
Horne --> Not a specialty winger and has voiced desire to play centres

Tomane - YES!

Who were you thinking? English? Naivalu is better. Crawford? Naivalu is better? C.Kuridrani? Naivalu is better. Toua? Naivalu is better.Uncapped Super Rugby teenager Kellaway? League Converts Robinson or Nabuli?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
1) Naive to think Cheika wasn't involved in getting him over to be the starting prop at the Waratahs to replace Kepu (with aussie eligibility)..so maybe not a huge leap of faith to think he could possibly be involved in the wider group somewhere.

I try not to go on wishin and hopin, no evidence so far in his carreer, I don't know of any Blues fans that were devastated by him leaving

2) Sheds weight..wow how incredibly academic of you.

It was more polite than saying his workrate isn't good enough

3) No one not capped is a test back rower.because they havn't been capped.. He's young, fit (unlike Vaea according to you), hits hard and dominates his space. and is clearly built as a no.8 but fills in at lock because he's a scrum anchor.

@8 he has hands like feet, fine as a Super Rugby lock, but a test 8, no, no, no

Traditional 6's -Fardy is old, Dennis isn't international standard, Mumm and Jones are 5 1/2s, and our top two potential 6's in Higs and Mowen are ineligible
Traditional 8's - Mccalman is a workrate player, there is only 1 of him, and he is played through Japan, therefore highly likely to be bloody tired
Traditional 7's - Pocock, hoops, mcmahon and gill are all differing versions of a 7 and as much as I loved POOPER, unfortunately the lack of a 'big human' dominating like 'big humans' should, was a massive problem v the AB's.

Big human? well no, "if" Pocock & Hooper are the continued preference then the complimentary unit, is like Fardy or McCalman, solid lineout option (you need three) with a real workrate

So take out those players..and you do you believe should be invested in for the 6 and 8 jerseys? (making the wild assumption that Australia wants quality depth)

You don't need to at the moment, and "if" Skelton is still considered as a test lock without lineout skills, then that lineout option in the backrow is a necessity and "if" the Pooper model continues then doubly no. Units like Angus Cottrell and Jordan Smiler show more game

4) We have a test coach who has already included Kerevi in his training squad once, so I don't think it's a huge stretch to think he may do it again..

again, playing where? great attacking player, but so far really average in defence and defensive positioning/decision making; not a playmaking 12 (Cheika 99% plays that ballplaying 12), not a decent enough defender to play 13.

5) A thousand wingers??
Digby --> Not eligible
Cummins --> Not eligible
Naiyaravoro --> Maybe, but currently Not eligible
Betham --> Not eligible
JOC (James O'Connor) --> Not eligible
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) --> Will pick if we are desperate
Mitchell--> Will pick if we are desperate
Shipperly & Morohan --> Definitely Wallaby starters, best wingers in the world, that's why they keep getting picked..oh wait.

Speight --> Will probably be focusing on the OLYMPICS, but ok, let's hope he players wallabies aswell
Horne --> Not a specialty winger and has voiced desire to play centres

Tomane - YES!

Who were you thinking? English? Naivalu is better. Crawford? Naivalu is better? C.Kuridrani? Naivalu is better. Toua? Naivalu is better.Uncapped Super Rugby teenager Kellaway? League Converts Robinson or Nabuli?

Naivalu may be a chance, but only if Tomane, Speight & Horne are all unavailable

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I try not to go on wishin and hopin, no evidence so far in his carreer, I don't know of any Blues fans that were devastated by him leaving

It was more polite than saying his workrate isn't good enough

@8 he has hands like feet, fine as a Super Rugby lock, but a test 8, no, no, no

Big human? well no, "if" Pocock & Hooper are the continued preference then the complimentary unit, is like Fardy or McCalman, solid lineout option (you need three) with a real workrate

You don't need to at the moment, and "if" Skelton is still considered as a test lock without lineout skills, then that lineout option in the backrow is a necessity and "if" the Pooper model continues then doubly no. Units like Angus Cottrell and Jordan Smiler show more game

again, playing where? great attacking player, but so far really average in defence and defensive positioning/decision making; not a playmaking 12 (Cheika 99% plays that ballplaying 12), not a decent enough defender to play 13.

Naivalu may be a chance, but only if Tomane, Speight & Horne are all unavailable

I think our issue is arising is a matter of perspective. Your observations seem to be more based around a starting team, even a 23, which yeh for sure, most those guys I've sounded out wouldn't get in based on current availability.

However, the players I've pointed out are the sort of guys you could potentially be looked at to be involved as a part of the 31 or even a 40 at training camps. Mainly in positions that don't have an obvious 3rd or 4th string option. You could look at Weeks, Alexander or Faulkner to play as back up to a 32-33 year old Holmes, but they have had a lot of chances, are experienced players, yet arn't really up to standard,

so instead, let's look forwards, 20-25 age bracket (looking to 2019) and get some wallaby environment experience into Talakai for example.

Hopefully there is some EPIC super 16-19 yr olds coming through at this stage, but if not, then from a development for WC point of view, chances are these players are already playing Super Rugby

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Players are always playing injured, it isn't like the coaches were unaware that he was playing wounded.

20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing, but in reality you take the punt

Some players can "play injured"in a test match, and put in a performance good enough to win them MOTM!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Can you imagine an Origin couple on the centre?

12 Ben Te'o
13 Israel Folau

I have never seen Te'o play. But safe to say that there is no stand-out 12 in the Aussie Soup teams right now. I always assumed that Izzy would end up at 13.

So I give this a definite "maybe"!

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Theres a lot of peeps here naming players yet to be proven at super level, perhaps talented but just way to early... They nedd to do the work first... Thats it, its a national jersey

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I posted this on the Brumbies thread, but it's obviously great for everyone to have Ledesma now able to work with all the Aussie sides.........

1454391057430.jpg

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So Cheika and Ledesma are full on Wallabies only now. But what's happening with Larkham and Grey, both still on for the Wallabies?

T

TOCC

Can't see Larkham been on board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Sefa's worth bringing in and around the squad. NMS is proof that genuine pace, running good lines and a hella offload is so valuable at Test level, Sefa has all that.

3 of the world cup wingers are overseas come end of Super Rugby, and while Two dads and Mitchell remain eligible, with no Lions Test or World Cup imminent, they might not end up being selected. Horne may switch back to center for the Tahs with the backline reshuffle. Naiyaravoro is a 50/50 chance to return. The other wingers used in the last two years are Cummins and Betham, both of whom are overseas.

I'm not saying that he needs to be rushed into the Wallabies starting line up as soon as he's eligible, but he'd be someone who'd be worthwhile at least training in and around the squad to see what he could offer.
And Henry and Joe...

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Can't see Larkham been on board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I heard after the world cup Larkham wanted to still be involved ? I don't know where I read it, but I think his keen to come in and help out..