• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

T

TOCC

Neither of whom have ever locked down a wallaby position as their own. Henry also has the Olympics which will limit his build up training for the rugby championship.

As far as in concerned all 3 will be involved in the wallaby squad in some form, but it's a bit early to be discussing that, just wait and see what their form is like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I heard after the world cup Larkham wanted to still be involved ? I don't know where I read it, but I think his keen to come in and help out..

I never heard that but it could be true, I assumed since he turned down the role in 2014. The 2016 test presents a more complicated test series then 2015 with the inbound June tests disrupting the super rugby season.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm surprised some of you are already trying to pick the June Test series squad before any rugby has even been played. Let’s at least wait for the first round of Super rugby before we start talking about likely squad selections.

In terms of the bigger picture issues, it’ll be interesting to see Chieka rebuilds the squad over the next 2 years. I think the plus for him is that a lot of the players in the 2015 WC squad will potentially still be young enough to play at the next world cup. In particular we have the core of a pretty decent forward pack for a change. Sio/Slipper/Smith are all quality long term options at prop. Ironically 2nd row looks like it could potentially become a log jam for the Wallabies over the next 4 years. Simo/Douglas presents as a strong long term locking duo and then you have the likes of Skelton/Carter/Coleman/Arnold all in the frame (we might even see Pyle return to Oz at some stage). Still too early to say which ones will step up and which ones will flounder, but the tall timber is certainly there. Hooker looks relatively stable, although I doubt Moore will make it to the world cup. TPN will be young enough but again there has to be a question mark over his head. Hanson though will likely be a main stay in the team. The backrow will need to be rebuilt but the foundation remains, given that Pocock and Hooper will likely be the 7/8 combo as long as they are healthy. Finding a replacement for Fardy will be interesting. I like the look of Luke Jones. Probably a bit unlucky to miss out on WC selection but has a lot of the skills that would make him a good replacement for Fardy. He’s a good line-out option with a strong work rate.

Cottrell, Vaea and Timani are the other guys that I’ve got my eye on this season.

The backline I’m sure will sort itself out, although my gut says debreczeni and stirzacker will become big players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He hasn't played a Super Rugby game yet but in a few years I think Ned Hanigan will be a mainstay for the Wallabies at 6.

He fits that Scott Fardy mould and is excellent in the lineout so will work well with a openside heavy backrow (or a number 8 that isn't a lineout option).

Reactions: BDA

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Here's a going forward question;
Last year changes were made that enabled Overseas player to come back and play.
What other ideas are out their that could benefit Australian Rugby on our Shores?

What other ideas are out there that could benefit Australian Rugby Globally?

Not only on field performances, but also increasing the interest in rugby through out all age groups.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A couple of ideas:

The ARU should have the final say on player movements into and between Soup franchises, to ensure that every player gets the best possible opportunity for development.

The identities of all the NRC franchises should be clear (no more similarities in colours) and permanent, no more changes, to enhance the growth of club spirit and team support. The rules for the NRC should not stray too far (if at all) from the standard Laws of the Game, to enhance the saleability of the competition to overseas viewers.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Question: So when is it about 'the team', and when is it about the 'individual'?!
I am, of course referring to Israel Folau.
Should he have declared his on-going painful ankle injury, or should he have continued to play like an "average # 15" from any suburban or country club? After all, it was the 2015 RWC?

It's a fair point but not Folau's fault. I think Cheika should take some blame for having blind confidence in him. I think Beale would've been the better fullback all game.

Revealed today

“I knew I wasn’t right, I definitely knew that, at the time I was thinking about the team, and I was happy to sit out, even though it was a World Cup,” Folau told the Sunday Telegraph.
“I was happy to sit out, someone like Kurtley was playing really well, I thought at the time he would have done a great job starting at No.15.​
“But obviously Cheik decided to play me, and I just had to do the best I could. But definitely I have no regrets, it was still a great experience.”

T

TOCC

I didn't watch all the games thoroughly, but I did watch the Tahs vs Reds, and a couple of Tahs players certainly showed their Wallaby class, but one of the biggest things for me was the depth(or lack of) that the Wallabies have at THP. Holmes is the best THP scrummager, but he is gone after 2016, it's crazy that the Wallabies will have lost their two best THP's in a 12 month period, so who's next in line?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I didn't watch all the games thoroughly, but I did watch the Tahs vs Reds, and a couple of Tahs players certainly showed their Wallaby class, but one of the biggest things for me was the depth(or lack of) that the Wallabies have at THP. Holmes is the best THP scrummager, but he is gone after 2016, it's crazy that the Wallabies will have lost their two best THP's in a 12 month period, so who's next in line?

I'd say Taavao will be a target for ledesma to get his hands onto. struggles at the set piece atm, but so did most aussie props until recently. I'd also venture Talakai will become an important piece of the 2019 puzzle once Holmes moves on. Talakai will be the starting no.3 and be young enough to start moving towards a spot in the 5 prop positions of a wallaby squad.

Wish Ala'alatoa was a THP like his brother because, whilst he may have a lot of potential, sio, slipper and even smith are all relatively young..

Toby Smith that is.

T

TOCC

Interesting that prior to Stiles returning to the Reds, Holmes was predominantly a loose head prop and Slipper predominantly tight head prop. Stiles switched them in his first season there and they haven't looked back since.

Sio is obviously a class loosehead prop, but I wonder if his long term future could be at tight head.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Don't see why posters supporting other teams want to shift the Brumbies' LHPs around. TOCC sees Sio as a THP, and Upthereds wants Alan Ala'alatoa moved across. Brumbies have Ruan Smith and Les Leulua’iali’i-Makin as THP prospects behind Ben Alexander. Given the chance during the season, I won't be surprised to see Ruan Smith put his hand up for higher honours this year.

Talakai is also a very good prospect. Not all doom and gloom at all, especially if Ledesma remains part of the Wallabies' setup.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I reckon after watching the Aussie teams this weekend that there is a surprising amount of depth across the board. Young Horwitz and Holloway really impressed me (I was already a fan of Jed, so not so surprising there), as did a few of the others in the Brumbies lineup. The NRC is making a difference I think.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Don't see why posters supporting other teams want to shift the Brumbies' LHPs around. TOCC sees Sio as a THP, and Upthereds wants Alan Ala'alatoa moved across. Brumbies have Ruan Smith and Les Leulua’iali’i-Makin as THP prospects behind Ben Alexander. Given the chance during the season, I won't be surprised to see Ruan Smith put his hand up for higher honours this year.

Talakai is also a very good prospect. Not all doom and gloom at all, especially if Ledesma remains part of the Wallabies' setup.

Because we have a bit of depth at LHP currently and are about to go through losing our #1 and #2 THPs within the same year (something that would seriously screw up any test rugby side - we were actually incredibly fortunate to have 2 THP that could be interchanged without much difference in scrum performance).

Sio in particular has an excellent body shape for THP, ridiculous strength by all reports, and is a proven test performer.

Don't see what role provincial allegiance has to do with this conversation as it's about the future of the Wallabies. I doubt the tune would change if Sio/Ala'alatoa were playing for the Reds. Can't help but feel you're either trying to stir the pot unnecessarily or barracking behind provincial lines for no real reason with that comment.