• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Obviously not a forward cyclo.
I'm not bashing hooper - he had a good game and was one of the best forwards on the park.
But you don't take off from a maul on your own when everyone has their heads down expecting the ball to go to the backs. You're asking to get isolated. It's lesson 101 of forward play. Always take someone with you.
I don't believe the ABs would have done any better under the circumstances.
Not a fan of Hooper by any means but I'm with cyclo: if the backs were intended to get it then why were they so slow to react to the break?
If nothing else his break meant the next penalty we conceded was 30 m further from our sticks.
Didn't Bob Dwyer have a rule that if you were penalised for not releasing that was the fault of the support players not the ball carrier?

Reactions: TSR

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I would be picking Toby for the Wallabies next year if his form warrants it, regardless as to whether he is at the Rebels or Hurricanes. Same with Michael Ala'alatoa, Digby Ioane, Pete Samu or anybody else who is eligible for that matter.

They are playing in the same competition, so form is comparable, and in almost all cases are receiving arguably better coaching. They can fly in for squad meetings in the same time as those from the West.

Indeed, opening the borders to allow Australian players to play in NZ may help us retain a small portion of the talent that goes overseas every year.

And I think Hansen wants to do likewise to pick Lomax, anyway. (http://www.radiosport.co.nz/on-air/...ers-in-aus-should-be-eligible-for-all-blacks/)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
With Toby Smith heading back to NZ, I really think one of our developing super THPs needs some experience at LHP

Got Tupou, Lomax, Vui and Ainsley down the development line at THP behind Kepu & Ala'alatoa

Got Sio, Slipper and Robertson at LHP - who is down that development line? Faagase and Saaga?

Will Mayhew stick around and become something more? or just not at that level and won't be.

At THP you also have Talakai, Taavao, Lolohea and Faulkner all with plenty of years ahead of them, whereas at LHP it's Ryan, Cowan and Daley.

You're missing Falalei Sione who is a year or so out of U20s and getting some good game time at the Brumbies. He was Lomax's LHP partner in the U20s and is every bit as promising as Tyrell. I would have him at the same level as Lomax, in respect of the LH side of the scrum.

Mayhew has signed an extension with the Brumbies and is Aus eligible, I believe. He would currently rate above the likes of Faagase and Saaga.

Also, on the TH side, there is Les Makin who would also rate better than some of those mentioned. It is notable that the Brumbies' scrum, which is one of the strongest in Super Rugby, does not suffer at all when the front row is replaced.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Not a fan of Hooper by any means but I'm with cyclo: if the backs were intended to get it then why were they so slow to react to the break?
If nothing else his break meant the next penalty we conceded was 30 m further from our sticks.
Didn't Bob Dwyer have a rule that if you were penalised for not releasing that was the fault of the support players not the ball carrier?
90% of the time that's correct, particularly in open play.
Exiting a ruck or maul is a different beast - there is a higher risk of getting isolated as multiple support players are trapped. It's why the concept of pods developed.
In this circumstance it is a bit rough to blame the support players, and the pretence that the mighty All Blacks would have time warped to his support is too much team on pedestal for mine.
I do think Hooper should have dragged a support player with him but I was more trying to diffuse the negativity around the rest of the forward pack and debunk the All Blacks reference than have a go at Hooper.
Anyway, I've had my say and it's the wrong thread so that is all...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Really? He's quoted on this? Must have missed it.

I've seen it stated before - can't remember where, but it was more than once. Hopefully I'm wrong and he wants to come back to Aus at some stage. If he does aim for NZ eligibility, he quite sensibly probably thinks he'll be developed better there and have more desirable opportunities.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
You're missing Falalei Sione who is a year or so out of U20s and getting some good game time at the Brumbies. He was Lomax's LHP partner in the U20s and is every bit as promising as Tyrell. I would have him at the same level as Lomax, in respect of the LH side of the scrum.

Mayhew has signed an extension with the Brumbies and is Aus eligible, I believe. He would currently rate above the likes of Faagase and Saaga.

Also, on the TH side, there is Les Makin who would also rate better than some of those mentioned. It is notable that the Brumbies' scrum, which is one of the strongest in Super Rugby, does not suffer at all when the front row is replaced.

That's big wraps for Sione, hope to see more of him then. Yes we do have other props, I'm just hoping we have as many future Sios coming through as we do Alaalatoas. Seem to be a bit heavy on the young future wallaby class THP. I wouldn't really regard guys like Mayhew, Faagase and Makin as International standard, and don't think they will be. I think Lomax can be, and Tupou (who knows) and maybe Ainsley will be serviceable, but atm, I regard even Robertson as passable at best. Fingers crossed Sio, Slipper, Kepu and Ala'alatoa can hold down the fort until these youngsters develop

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I get him being disillusioned but the gist of what he wrote I did not agree with, particularly that the players don't try or care. And this latest piece is somewhat self-important, to my reading.

The players try.
The players care.
Cheika tries. Cheika cares. Grey tries and cares.
I was only thinking the other day how the whingeing (including mine) had become more sophisticated in that we all started with an assumption that everyone in the system (Even Clyne and Pulver) care. and try.
Thats not the problem.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
That's big wraps for Sione, hope to see more of him then. Yes we do have other props, I'm just hoping we have as many future Sios coming through as we do Alaalatoas. Seem to be a bit heavy on the young future wallaby class THP. I wouldn't really regard guys like Mayhew, Faagase and Makin as International standard, and don't think they will be. I think Lomax can be, and Tupou (who knows) and maybe Ainsley will be serviceable, but atm, I regard even Robertson as passable at best. Fingers crossed Sio, Slipper, Kepu and Ala'alatoa can hold down the fort until these youngsters develop

Many of those in the front row know, which certainly isn't I, believe Ainsley has the potential to be Australia's long-term TH

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
So there are now reports of Moore saying that the Wallabies just are not fit enough and blaming the Super sides for not preparing the players well enough. Well I know that most here would agree on subjective analysis of games that the Australian sides are not fit. Amazing that two assistant Wallabies coaches are also on the staff of those Super sides now accused of not being thorough enough in preparation Also how yesterday Ladesma was saying how hard it would be for Moore to make the 2019 RWC due to age, but backed him because he is to paraphrase so professional with his diet and activities on and off the field.

So the Super sides didn't prepare the players well enough because they are not fit for purpose, yet two of those coaches are part of the Wallabies set up, so they certainly can't be to blame. So for how many $100Ks of "investment" in professional Rugby this year has been made for nobody to take some responsibility.

Let me get one thing straight, I have no doubt the players are trying, but everyone (or the vast majority) needs guidance and critique to improve.

I have to say I am over the excuses, after the outperformance of 2015 Chieka earned a lot of slack in 2016, even with some mystifying selections at times and shite tactics. That time has passed and there can be no more passing the buck. We all know Australian Rugby is up shit creek, but somebody has to take some responsibility. Waiting for Pulver and Co to show some leadership is a fools errand. I have hoped for it to be the coaches, but they have passed the buck, two of them to themselves under other hats, I wonder if they will pass it back next week when they change those hats back over.

After watching the intensity of the ABs V Lions and the brilliant attacking display executed by Warren Gatland coached side FFS, I despair. Just to accentuate the point, for those who don't know, there was no dew. It rained and was windy. Not constantly just enough to make it shitty. Yes there was dropped ball but the intensity was something I haven't seen from the Wallabies for years. Honestly if either side played the Wallabies tonight they would have won by 50+. I'm not even cranky about the situation anymore, not even sad, despondency has set in.

L

Leo86

Honestly, id expect "professional" athletes to eat/diet correctly and if needed go for a run. On their own terms.

Id expect our coaches to not need to worry about laziness but concentrate on skills, plays, improving players strengths, fixing weaknesses but strength and conditioning is one coaches managing and the players responsibility

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We have very little of the Super Rugby season left, especially for 4 of our teams. I guess the coaches can flog the likely Wallabies and try and get them in better shape for the RC. Is Fardy available or has he been given an early release? Will McMahons injury keep him out for the RC? I assume Beale will be available.
A win is a win but I am guessing that most do not feel any better about the Wallabies prospects in the near future.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
There's trying, and then there's trying.

I have no doubt the players are turning up to training and getting sweaty. They're putting in what they're told to do.

But are they doing the extras to fix their personal deficiencies? Are they hiring personal sports psychologists to help them with their head space? Are they hiring their own personal coach to watch closely the particular skill(s) that they are lacking?

Are the practicing until they get it right, or are they practicing until they don't get it wrong (a big difference)? I am guessing based on how the aussie players perform, it's the former.

Not actively trying to fix something is not trying.

There is no evidence to suggest that the players care enough or are trying to address their own skill deficiencies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
There's trying, and then there's trying.

I have no doubt the players are turning up to training and getting sweaty. They're putting in what they're told to do.

But are they doing the extras to fix their personal deficiencies? Are they hiring personal sports psychologists to help them with their head space? Are they hiring their own personal coach to watch closely the particular skill(s) that they are lacking?

Are the practicing until they get it right, or are they practicing until they don't get it wrong (a big difference)? I am guessing based on how the aussie players perform, it's the former.

Not actively trying to fix something is not trying.

There is no evidence to suggest that the players care enough or are trying to address their own skill deficiencies.

There's only so much time in a day though, I'm training for an mma fight at the moment, I put in 3 to 4 hours a day, Sundays i recover, I've been told I need to add more fitness to my training sessions (by my girlfriend no expert), all i can answer is when ? I've been training since Feb, and I'm pretty much constantly sore.. Now I'm no elite athlete but guessing at some point more training is doing more harm then good..

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
From what I saw in the Loins Test, Khunt will have to start at 12 against the Darkness, just for his defense. Sonny Boy played the game of his life, Kurtley would not be able to stop him with a pickaxe handle.