• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The other thing that was very apparent in the AB vs BIL match was every kick was contested. For both teams. On multiple occasions the kicking team regathered the ball. Yet the kicks were generally longer.
I'm not sure whether that represents better kick placement, better skill and commitment from the chasers, better communication, better fitness, or all of the above.
But there was a very obvious difference from any wallaby game I've seen for a long time.
Our poor kicking and our poor chase just puts us under so much pressure, and gives the opposition multiple bites at the cherry before we finally crack.
Even if we defend our line and force a turnover we're invariably defending our line again 2 minutes later after a lineout just outside our 22.

So important. I think the Wallabies have adopted a plan not to contest in the air but to try to hit the catcher as soon as he makes the catch, and then to use numbers at the breakdown to try to win back possession. I'd rather see a nominated chaser/contester go for the catch with a few others coming in behind to either pressure the opposition catcher or secure our ball.

But the timing needs to be spot on. Don't want to see the opposition (esp the ABs) catch the ball with 5m or so empty space to the chasers. I still have bad memories of three of our chasers committing to B Barrett who ran sideways and got an inside pass away to his No 13 team-mate (Aso) who then ran about 55m unchallenged to score against the Brumbies. Admittedly, the first chasers did get Barrett, but only after he had disposed of the ball and everything was by then going tits-up.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just out of curiosity, what would be the pecking order for 10s if we had a diabolical run of injuries a la the hookers a few years ago.

1. Foley
2. Quade
3. Kurtley
...what's after that? Harmichael possibly, or Godwin. But I shudder at the thought of both of those.

( I left Lance out because I think he's injured but he'd probably slot in at 4 if not).

EDIT: Lilo played for the Brumbies the other night in KL or Singapore didn't he? He could find himself back in the squad sooner rather than later. i.e. for the RC.

I think Jack D would come in before Godwin (at least I'd hope so). Maybe Hunt would be an option. Recall that Larkham himself was playing at No 15 before being transformed into a No 10.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Great to see him back.
But a bone marrow transplant is a huge insult to the body.
I would be gobsmacked to see him playing at a high level before next year.

Christian really did show he has still retained all the skills to play 10 in Singapore, but I don't think it is realistic to think he'll be back for tests this year. Maybe some time off the bench for the Brumbies.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Christian really did show he has still retained all the skills to play 10 in Singapore, but I don't think it is realistic to think he'll be back for tests this year. Maybe some time off the bench for the Brumbies.

I just wonder what his recovery is like, I'd hazard a guess his body will take a bit longer to bounce back than it used to.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Found it disturbing to read Moore's and Cheika's comments that players coming out of Super Rugby fitness not up to scratch.

Already quality of coaching for oz Super Rugby sides under scrutiny and to hear fitness not up to scratch for players coming into wallaby camps....

What is going on with Oz professional rugby....?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Found it disturbing to read Moore's and Cheika's comments that players coming out of Super Rugby fitness not up to scratch.

Already quality of coaching for oz Super Rugby sides under scrutiny and to hear fitness not up to scratch for players coming into wallaby camps..

What is going on with Oz professional rugby..?
I think that oz professional rugby isn't actually very professional. That's the problem. And that's not a dig at either the coaches or the players, it is what it is. For it to be fully professional there needs to be (ideally) a professional comp, at the very least a semi pro comp, feeding into the second tier.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think that oz professional rugby isn't actually very professional. That's the problem. And that's not a dig at either the coaches or the players, it is what it is. For it to be fully professional there needs to be (ideally) a professional comp, at the very least a semi pro comp, feeding into the second tier.

There's no doubt the multiple levels of comps in Europe, The Currie Cup and the ITM (NPC) make a big difference. Clearly, until now, club rugby and the NRC are just not near that level of competition. I really think it would need to be pro, not semi-pro. And that means every aspect - coaching, S&C and so on.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
There has been talk for a couple of years about better communication between Super Rugby and Aus coaches. The poor fitness of players seems a relatively easy thing to communicate to the Super Rugby coaches. Has Cheika just realised this as well or failed to pass it on?

I doubt the blame game will impress the Super Rugby coaches. When it became apparent a phone call to each saying it was an area of concern might have gone down better than public comments.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe cheiks needs to come up with a game and training plan that doesn't exhaust the players he's selecting?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

main nicholson

Frank Row (1)
I can barely bring myself to watch the reds or the wallabies these days. It's no longer enjoyment its just frustrating... All the talk here about tinkering with positions and improving fitness is just putting lipstick on the pig !
The problem is the pathway. In Qld it actively discourages Wallaby aspirations to the benefit of the League clubs. How many boys are taking up places in the Qld Schools Rugby team this year that have already signed League contracts and have absolutely no intention of playing Union post school ? There aren't too many wallabies that would make an AB team (if any). There aren't big enough, strong enough or skilled enough. Plenty playing league though... Its a 5 year plan and the longer it gets delayed....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There has been talk for a couple of years about better communication between Super Rugby and Aus coaches. The poor fitness of players seems a relatively easy thing to communicate to the Super Rugby coaches. Has Cheika just realised this as well or failed to pass it on?

I doubt the blame game will impress the Super Rugby coaches. When it became apparent a phone call to each saying it was an area of concern might have gone down better than public comments.

I don't think they are unaware, all the teams performances highlight the issue. As Hanson said in the press conference fatigue creates errors

Interesting from the SMH, Gibson agrees and

Gibson's comments came on the same day Cheika said Waratahs hooker Tolu Latu needed to "work harder than anyone" and hinted he was not considered for selection due to poor fitness levels.

Some believe the comments were used as mitigation for the Wallabies' underwhelming June performances but Gibson said he had no problems with the remarks.
The topic of fitness came up at a Super Rugby conference in late May and Gibson is committed to helping the Wallabies out as much as possible by collaborating more than in the past.
"We discussed fitness and how we as a national body and state team can be far more collaborative and aligned in fitness standards and I definitely believe that discussion is heading in the right direction towards action," Gibson told Fairfax Media. "We want to provide those standards where our guys need to be for the international game. The conversation is being had so that's a good thing. The more we can address those together, we're going to have a better result."
Asked if he felt Wallabies representatives in the Waratahs squad were not as fit as they should be, Gibson replied: "It's a tough one because it's a global statement. Clearly Michael Hooper is not unfit. It's a difficult one. We need to address that on an individual basis.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Have the presale passwords for the Sydney bledisloe been released yet, and if so could someone share them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I cannot understand why he was not starting from the game against Fiji. His pace is unrivaled and his defense and understanding of the game are a step above our other out and out wingers.

Because Speight deserved to start that game on form, and he also played well.........

Hopefully both will recover quickly.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Have the presale passwords for the Sydney bledisloe been released yet, and if so could someone share them?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out tomorrow IIRC. If you're a Rebels Member, I'm pretty sure you'll get them tomorrow morning by email for all the 2017 RC matches plus BC III in Brisbane in late October.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's more than a bit disturbing that we're hearing about a lack of fitness in Wallaby ranks. With S&C coaches in each franchise I find that to be remarkable. If Cheika has been flogging these blokes through Wallaby camp then it would explain the fall off in performance, but what happens now when they return to their Super Rugby teams? I would hope that they will go back with instructions on getting them in optimum shape for TRC, because they'll be on the receiving end of a different kind of flogging if they don't.

Is there a focus on gym fitness/strength over functional strength maybe?

In terms of the June tests, whilst they appear to be have been a disaster and that's a fair assessment, there may be some good to come out of them. I'll give Cheika some credit in that he's continued to look to youth and bring them into the system. The generation immediately prior aren't going to get us up to the top of the pile in the longer term, though depth in some key positions is worrying (openside, five eighth et al) which doesn't bode too well for trying alternatives.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
There's no doubt the multiple levels of comps in Europe, The Currie Cup and the ITM (NPC) make a big difference. Clearly, until now, club rugby and the NRC are just not near that level of competition. I really think it would need to be pro, not semi-pro. And that means every aspect - coaching, S&C and so on.

People often bemoan our chronic lack of coaching talent. I once asked how i would go about becoming a professional rugby coach and the response i got was 'volunteer at a subbies club for a few years'.

Seems legit.

Reactions: TSR