• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We aren't going to beat the ABs by a long range goal kicking

But it'd likely help, especially if the ABs or whomever the opposition is, is discouraged from flouting the laws around the half way mark or even into the Wallabies' territory. And the added bonus is that if he misses but kicks it dead as he's bound to do, then the chances are good that the Wallabies will retrieve possession again from the 22m drop.

There re a lot of benefits to be had from a longer kicker than Bernard Foley.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But it'd likely help, especially if the ABs or whomever the opposition is, is discouraged from flouting the laws around the half way mark or even into the Wallabies' territory. And the added bonus is that if he misses but kicks it dead as he's bound to do, then the chances are good that the Wallabies will retrieve possession again from the 22m drop.

There re a lot of benefits to be had from a longer kicker than Bernard Foley.

But he isn't a high percentage from those long distances, actually he is probably no better than Beale.

I just don't see a lot of upside in his general play this year at 12 to justify his selection

T

TOCC

That is incorrect regarding Fardy. Ross Haylett-Petty is the 6 in the team of the season.

Obviously a large number of people (myself included) would have him in the Wallabies squad too.

I'm just quoting what Foxsports said and it's also what RUPA emailed out in their media release statement that I received yesterday at 2pm:

Attachments

• IMG_6732.PNG
    IMG_6732.PNG
    117.3 KB · Views: 166

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
But he isn't a high percentage from those long distances, actually he is probably no better than Beale.

I just don't see a lot of upside in his general play this year at 12 to justify his selection

But the added advantage is that he will on most occasions kick it dead from about 60m if he misses. Perhaps he might also increase his success rate if he was given more opportunities and spent time at training to get his eye in?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But the added advantage is that he will on most occasions kick it dead from about 60m if he misses. Perhaps he might also increase his success rate if he was given more opportunities and spent time at training to get his eye in?

I think kicking from 60m will make the ABs very happy.

I don't want to make the ABs happy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think there is a strong chance Hodge will be on the bench. I don't think his long range goal kicking is going to get him into the starting XV though.

It's a good option to have but it isn't compelling in my opinion.

I would like to see us utilise someone other than Foley for penalty kicks for touch. I don't really understand why this job isn't done by someone else.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I would like to see us utilise someone other than Foley for penalty kicks for touch. I don't really understand why this job isn't done by someone else.

It is ridiculous this hasn't changed already, but for whatever reason cheika doesn't seem inclined to make the shift.

It's also one of the major issues with our exists, too much pressure on Foley/genia when there are much better options in the side.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think Hodge may be destined to fill that most unwanted of positions 'utility'. On the upside, it gets him in the side, but on the downside, it inhibits him really developing in a set position.

I don't think he is best in any spot personally, but he does have a lot of potential. Personally he seems best suited to 15 to me, but it's probably a spot he is no better than 3rd in line for.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The three big ones for me, and which many on this forum have asked for.. is DHP at 15, Meakes at 12 and Fardy at 6.

We all know Fardy won't play since Cheika considered him not necessary, but I'd like to see the other two play in those respective positions.

Well that won't happen !

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
We need to move on from the Fardy at 6 thing, while he certainly would have been my choice, he's not in the squad, so he won't be there (and for the same reason nor will RHP).
While it will upset many on here, 6 will most likely by Hanigan as with Timani at 8 we need another jumper, and Hanigan is a good one whereas I don't really see McMahon as a genuine line-out jumper at international level. I think he will be on the bench.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Yep Hanigan will get the gig, not only because of the lineout but also because of his kamikaze commitment to kick restarts.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Just saw the Wallabies checking in to the Meriton Apartments above Bondi Junction Station. They weren't looking very happy. Apparently the accommodation budget doesn't stretch very far these days. If they're on a high enough floor they'll be able to see the ABs at the Intercontinental down at Double Bay

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Just saw the Wallabies checking in to the Meriton Apartments above Bondi Junction Station. They weren't looking very happy. Apparently the accommodation budget doesn't stretch very far these days. If they're on a high enough floor they'll be able to see the ABs at the Intercontinental down at Double Bay
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with their bad mood.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I hope they watched the women playing gallantly against Ireland. Not bad for a team that hardly plays a game, against a team that plays a lot.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
I wonder how long it will take for the head honchos to change the eligibility process for the wallabies now. Now that 1/5th of professional players have been canned from the selection area it sure doesn't leave too many to choose from if the poo hits the fan next year or so.