• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Just saw the Wallabies checking in to the Meriton Apartments above Bondi Junction Station. They weren't looking very happy. Apparently the accommodation budget doesn't stretch very far these days. If they're on a high enough floor they'll be able to see the ABs at the Intercontinental down at Double Bay
We are getting to the stage where we will need to start billeting out the team.

But that could always be spun as getting closer to the grass roots

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: dru

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
We are getting to the stage where we will need to start billeting out the team.

But that could always be spun as getting closer to the grass roots

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

the ARU must be desperate to make some $'s from this RC series, this I assume is their prime annual money making exercise?
Whether it goes well or not it is unlikely to do anything other than cover a few costs. Maybe covering these 2 costs, paying out Beale and Genia's overseas contracts.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe covering these 2 costs, paying out Beale and Genia's overseas contracts.

I don't know if any payment was required to get Genia released but there certainly wasn't for Beale.

He had a 1+1 contract and chose not to exercise the second year of it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I don't know if any payment was required to get Genia released but there certainly wasn't for Beale.

He had a 1+1 contract and chose not to exercise the second year of it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes I think you are right re Beale, though I do recall talk of paying out Genia's contract.
I thought Geoff Stooke had said it but can't find it.
Regardless the point still stands that the income from the series will be far below what they need.

M

Moono75

As a sign of protest and as a mark of respect, particularly if RUPA has any balls. All Wallabies players in the opening Test against the AB's should wear Force blue armbands to protest the ARU decision. At the very least a black armband will suffice!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yes I think you are right re Beale, though I do recall talk of paying out Genia's contract.
I thought Geoff Stooke had said it but can't find it.
Regardless the point still stands that the income from the series will be far below what they need.

I thought stade were relatively happy to see him gone, he seem injured most of their season and when signed wasn't expected to be running out for the Wobs again.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Stade have got more money than sense, like most of the French franchises.

Clubs Wamb, the French have Clubs.

EDIT: There's some sort of well crafted Joke about the ARU wishing they had the pitifully small amount of money to be able to say that about themselves, but I'm too hungover to try.

T

TOCC

I thought stade were relatively happy to see him gone, he seem injured most of their season and when signed wasn't expected to be running out for the Wobs again.

Happy? I wouldn't say happy, both their starting halves have departed..
I'm sure the issue of the millions in debt, potential bankruptcy and the sale of the club which has seen a dozen or so players released or trade in the past 6months played a minor part..

New owners may be a billionaire, but Stades recruitment has been dirt cheap so far.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
A good article in the New Zealand Herald:
Chris Rattue: Wallabies must dump useless Michael Cheika and consider a Kiwi coach again

the gist of the article is that Cheika has sold the boys short, that they have talent, but he has turned them into bozos.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
If the Kiwis think Rattue is a drivel-spinner, you know he's no good! He's a barely-veiled troll at best.

Maybe, but that Rattue article as referenced above made some excellent, objectively justified points. Far more accurate, thoughtful and incisive than most of the utter rubbish that comes from our mainstream rugby media here.

Perhaps on occasion you and others should consider the substance of what a writer puts down before instantly issuing the patronising condemnation and rejection out of hand.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Here is the NZ Herald Rattue article Lou75 usefully referred to above:

Chris Rattue: Wallabies must dump useless Michael Cheika and consider a Kiwi coach again
Call this Robbie Deans revisited - Australian rugby must call for foreign aid, again.
In other words, it's time for an overseas coach. Australian rugby is in such trouble, and so reliant on good international results, that it can't afford not to consider going offshore to lure the very best it can find. And there aren't any domestic Aussie coaches with close to enough runs on the board.
An All Black team stung by its second half unravelling will look to go on the rampage in Dunedin.
Coach Michael Cheika must shoulder a huge portion of the Sydney blame with poor selections - the benching of Tevita Kuridrani chief among those - central to the first half shocker. And tactically - haven't got a clue what they were up to.
Australia's 20-point defeat in the opening test was far worse than it actually looked, and not only because it might help the hopeless Cheika survive. Beauden Barrett was wrongly denied a try and Israel Folau incorrectly awarded one in the second half.
The controversial Deans appointment may not have worked out in terms of results, but it doesn't mean future foreign appointments should be canned.
Australian rugby has made one hard but necessary decision, cutting their number of Super Rugby teams back to four. Now they need to keep swinging the axe and get rid of Cheika, who has got them on a fast track to oblivion.
The Wallabies always flourished, or survived, on smarts. And these Wallabies aren't the bozos Cheika has turned them into. He's all mouth, quite frankly.
The world's best coaches are almost all New Zealanders. Australia needs to snare one of them, on a long term deal.
Someone like Ireland's Joe Schmidt, probably the smartest coach in world rugby, could work wonders. Apart from the All Blacks, Australia still has the best attacking potential. It's not as if there is nothing to work with.
Yes, Super Rugby tells you that the Aussies are in despair. But Cheika is making the situation look far worse than it actually is.
The All Blacks lost their way for about half and hour in the second half, enabling the Wallabies to latch on to some soft tries and probably save Cheika's job for now.
The All Blacks' first half performance was about as good as test rugby gets, but they didn't meet much resistance. At halftime, they were on track to win by maybe 60 points.
Had they done so, Cheika would have struggled to survive.
Instead, they fashioned an unlikely revival as the All Blacks failed to re-group and control the tempo of the game. And so the Cheika era lives on, to fight a few more days than is wise for the Wallabies.
The Australian coach has an aggressive demeanour and talks a good game, but the results - particularly against the big guns - are pretty hopeless, and don't appear to have any upward swing involved. He even lost a home test to Scotland, although Scotland are respectable.
Speaking of Scotland, their former coach Vern Cotter comes to mind. Now there's a subject. New Zealand coaches dominate the international landscape.
In real professional sport like the English Premier League (and even European rugby), nationality has very little to do with coaching appointments. All teams and clubs know they need the very best.
The only Aussie coach with a high world rating right now is Eddie "England" Jones. And there is a queue of Kiwis ahead of Cheika.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Rattue is a bellend but he's actually pretty spot on, we need to outsource badly. Although, the idea that a coaching change will do anything other than paper over rather wide gaps is disingenuous. Our problems run far deeper than that.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think we got some good guys - Bakarat and Fisher would be WAYY better Wallaby forwards coaches then Ledesma. M.Taylor would be a way better defensive coach then Grey. Wisemantal could offer alot also. etc etc

Big problem is anointing the Head Coach succession so early - let's see how the Wallabies do over the next two years before saying it should be an internal promotion (larkham). Keep the pathway to wallabies open, so it can be used as a driving factor for the Rebels new coach and other potential future appointments. Australia desperately will need a new defensive coach in 2020, same with Ledesma who should not be reappointed....Matt Taylor can be Head Coach of Rebels until then, with Bakarat as forwards coach at Rebels then join him at Wallabies for example.