• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No that would be a bad combination, but a squad has 6 backrowers and higs would be better then a couple of them. A Mcmahon Hooper Hanigan/Dempsey/Korzcyk combos are bad also.

at the role Cheika wants the 6 to play in a backrow with McMahon & Hooper?

Higgers has very little impact through the middle in either defence or attack, that isn't his game

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Would he make a good combination with Hooper and McMahon? I don't really think he would.

Maybe if Timani was making himself a first choice option then Higginbotham would be a better candidate to be part of the squad. That hasn't happened though.

I think he probably wouldn't combine extremely well with Hooper and McMahon, but most likely for different reasons than you might think that to be the case. IMO Hooper and McMahon are too alike to form a basis for an exceptional back row, perhaps no matter who the third member happens to be. Like Pocock, I think McMahon should be directly competing with Hooper for the No 7 spot. I am aware of your viewpoint that there is no-one else to fill the No 8 spot, particularly, so Pocock is best placed there. I hold the view that the coaching effort should have been put into Timani when he showed promise in the position on the EOYT so that he became or remained a viable option. Combined with that, he should have been playing No 8 at the Rebels, not stuck in the second row where the demands of that position seemed to drain his energy levels and hence his impact with ball in hand. I don't believe his defense has ever slacked off substantially and when he hits he hits hard. It is not too late to retrieve the situation for Timani if the coaching staff are prepared to put the effort and time into developing him as they would want to see him play. The benefits down the track could be immense. Failing all that, however, I do think that a backrow of Higgers at 6, Hooper at 7 and McMahon at 8 would perform better as a unit and as individuals than one containing Hanigan at 6. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I firmly believe Ned wouldn't have had much tme at 6 for the Tahs this year had Dempsey not been injured and missed virtually the whole of the Super Rugby season. There has been understandably a lot of dismay in the supporter base at his selection in the Wallabies and now in the continued support by Cheika for his inclusion.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Man this backrow argument is going in some circles.

What a fucking seagull fest Hoops, Higs and McMahon would be.

If Timani can't perform in a fucken NRC game why the hell would we stick him in a gold jersey? Madness.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Higgers has very little impact through the middle in either defence or attack, that isn't his game

FP, it might be argued that it is Hanigan's game, but it is hard to argue that he is effective at it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
FP, it might be argued that it is Hanigan's game, but it is hard to argue that he is effective at it.

and I would happily see someone who can actually fulfill that role better.

It seems clear to me that the first to two selected this season will be Hooper and McMahon. So the question simply is who can fulfill a role that balances out that backrow

It would be fantastic to have someone who can actually do those individual efforts Hanigan gets through at a higher quality, I just don't see many actual options.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
The discussion is basically a discussion around Cheika's priorities. He wants his Backs to be purely attack focused and is willing to ignore their defensive frailties. However, he wants his forwards to be defense focused. McMahon, Hanigan and Hooper are all defensively efficient. They make a lot of tackles and miss very few, they have a high work rate in defense and will offer a full 80 minutes if required. McMahon and Hooper are also strong ball runners with Hooper better in broken play and McMahon capable of bending the line. Hanigan is unfortunately a bit of a liability in attack offering very little and when he does get involved he often seems to get the contact wrong making it difficult for the clean out. Higgers will not be the sort of player that Cheika wants as while he is not bad defensively he is not a high energy defender who will make a lot of tackles. I think when Pocock comes back we will see a back three of McMahon at 6, Hooper at 7 with Pocock at 8.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

I said that would be a bad combo, but also no, I don't think it would be any worse then a Dempsey/Mcmahon/Hooper or a Korczyk/Mcmahon/Hooper

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
and I would happily see someone who can actually fulfill that role better.

It seems clear to me that the first to two selected this season will be Hooper and McMahon. So the question simply is who can fulfill a role that balances out that backrow

It would be fantastic to have someone who can actually do those individual efforts Hanigan gets through at a higher quality, I just don't see many actual options.

Invite you to have a look at Matt Philip's recent NRC games. While he has been playing Lock, he is almost identical to Scott Fardy in size, and plays a very hard game. And while it might be a jump from NRC to Wallabies, he also had a very strong Super Rugby season with the Force. He is a year or two older than Hanigan/Dempsey and has a bit more experience at Super Rugby level. He has the pace to play No 6, a good ability to break tackles and imposes himself in contact the way we want to see our No 6 play. I have no doubt he would offer significantly more than Hanigan does, and would be more impactful that Dempsey who I rate much higher than Ned in any case. EDIT : forgot to mention, he is most capable in the lineout also, often being the go to jumper for the Spirit/Force.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The only problem is that it is a huge ask to expect a player to debut for the national team in an untried position.

Really, this should just never, ever happen. Should it????

Reactions: dru

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Invite you to have a look at Matt Philip's recent NRC games. While he has been playing Lock, he is almost identical to Scott Fardy in size, and plays a very hard game. And while it might be a jump from NRC to Wallabies, he also had a very strong Super Rugby season with the Force. He is a year or two older than Hanigan/Dempsey and has a bit more experience at Super Rugby level. He has the pace to play No 6, a good ability to break tackles and imposes himself in contact the way we want to see our No 6 play. I have no doubt he would offer significantly more than Hanigan does, and would be more impactful that Dempsey who I rate much higher than Ned in any case. EDIT : forgot to mention, he is most capable in the lineout also, often being the go to jumper for the Spirit/Force.
Cheika is already copping shit around here for cross training Tua as a 6, but it would be Ok to bring a guy from outside the squad to play that spot?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Cheika is already copping shit around here for cross training Tua as a 6, but it would be Ok to bring a guy from outside the squad to play that spot?

Do you not like the idea because I and one other on here voiced an opinion against swapping Tui, or because its not Cheika who proposed it?

weve been saying for months Philip should be in the squad

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Do you really believe Cheika is seriously considering Tui at 6? I think pigs might fly. Even if so, and I have a suspicion Tui would make a good fist of it, Philip has been around the rugby traps a bit longer than Tui and has more experience playing at Super level. It's not his fault that he hasn't been elevated by Cheika while less experienced and less effective players like Hanigan, Dempsey, Tui and Rodda have been brought through. Don't get me wrong, Rodda will be up to the task at Wallaby level as has been fairly obvious since he starred at the U20s level. Tui also looks to have the potential to get there, while I think Dempsey has a lot more to offer than Ned Hanigan. But imo Philip is a class act and has the skills to really make his mark at 6 if given a chance.
EDIT : actually I haven't seen a lot of shit flying around about the possibility of Tui pulling on the No 6 jersey at all. All of the criticism of Cheika seems to relate to his perseverence with Hanigan. Would you care to enlighten us?

T

TOCC

I believe his comment was in reference to me, I said I don't want Tui playing at 6, and my reasons for that are that I believe it's a fleeting desire from Cheika without any longevity in the concept, he is 20yrs old and still learning the technicalities of lock, for his own personal benefit I believe it would serve him best to focus on the development of his primary position rather then experimenting in different roles and positions, especially at test level.

Edit: my mistake, he turned 21 yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Do you not like the idea because I and one other on here voiced an opinion against swapping Tui, or because its not Cheika who proposed it?

weve been saying for months Philip should be in the squad

BTW, both Phillip's and RHP have good motors, like Hanigan, and often played the full 80 for the Force.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I believe his comment was in reference to me, I said I don't want Tui playing at 6, and my reasons for that are that I believe it's a fleeting desire from Cheika without any longevity in the concept, he is 20yrs old and still learning the technicalities of lock, for his own personal benefit I believe it would serve him best to focus on the development of his primary position rather then experimenting in different roles and positions, especially at test level.

Edit: my mistake, he turned 21 yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

and how is that any different from Philip was my point

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The only problem is that it is a huge ask to expect a player to debut for the national team in an untried position.

Really, this should just never, ever happen. Should it????

For starters Wamb, Hunt plays 15 for the Reds and debuted at No 12 for the Wallabies, DHP played 15 for the Force and debuted at wing for the Wallabies. Probably many more, maybe one of our best in Mortlock. Has been known to happen.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
For starters Wamb, Hunt plays 15 for the Reds and debuted at No 12 for the Wallabies, DHP played 15 for the Force and debuted at wing for the Wallabies. Probably many more, maybe one of our best in Mortlock. Has been known to happen.

And Hunt played most of the year being foil in the line for Cooper and defending there; and in France through to finals, while DHP played a load of wing at the Force and in France in past years.

Even Folau started off as a wing in tests

Most of these guys are good enough to play multiple positions and have to at the start of their careers as it makes them better bench options at higher levels