• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

T

TOCC

and how is that any different from Philip was my point

Was it? You only just mentioned Phillip in your last post.

Are they much different, that's subjective, one is a likely starter at lock in 2018 for his team, and the other doesn't even have a team for 2018. Philip arguably has more to gain by proving himself as a competent 6 in terms of earning himself a contract for 2018.

I said back July that Philip should have been in the Wallabies squad ahead of Simmons, Douglas, Tui and co.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
And Hunt played most of the year being foil in the line for Cooper and defending there; and in France through to finals, while DHP played a load of wing at the Force and in France in past years.

Even Folau started off as a wing in tests

Most of these guys are good enough to play multiple positions and have to at the start of their careers as it makes them better bench options at higher levels

And that doesn't apply to someone like Philip? Not much difference in body build or skills requirements between 5 and 6. Most 6s end up playing some time at 5 when injuries hit in a match. Just like to see some consistency in the arguments being put forward in relation to the chosen few and others who really belong there as well.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And that doesn't apply to someone like Philip? Not much difference in body build or skills requirements between 5 and 6. Most 6s end up playing some time at 5 when injuries hit in a match. Just like to see some consistency in the arguments being put forward in relation to the chosen few and others who really belong there as well.

No I actually agree with the sentiment.

That said, I am not sure if Philip is the actual answer, but I think 6 will be a massive opportunity over the next few seasons for someone to step up whether that be a lock like Tua or Philip or a 6 like Hanigan or Dempsey or another.

As I have stated earlier, so far Hanigan is at best a place holder so far, he clearly hasn't marked it as his own. I would love to find someone who can get through the work we need with better individual efforts.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Of the two most likely candidates at the moment, I would favour Dempsey over Hanigan as I believe he has some of that hardness needed to impose himself especially with ball in hand. I've also seen him take many lineout catches over the past couple of years so really don't expect any drop off at all if he replaces Ned.

But going forward, I'd hope our national head and forwards coaches will be willing to look a bit further afield for options in the 6 spot. I believe they do exist and can be found if the net is cast wide enough. I certainly don't think Hanigan, Dempsey and Korzyk are the only alternatives.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I see Naisarani has signed with the Brumbies. Good news for them and Australian rugby.
The Brumbies will have a very handy back row next year despite losing Fardy and Smiler.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Just realised Naisarani is bound by new World Rugby law of eligibility being pushed to 5 years instead of 3. Part of me thinks...damnit, whilst the bigger part thinks that 5 years is a much more appropriate term of residency to be eligible to represent.

Also think older heads like Fardy and Higs could do a Kaino and support youngsters in the backrow, instead of completely filling up the stocks with youngsters.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Most better contracts here have that ARU top up and/or Wobs match payments, just how many guys are going to hang around for the 5 years waiting for that? It is beyond one Super Rugby contract so they have a decent chance to look at their options.

Naisarani is a nice example, off to the ponies with the bait of being a Wob next season. If that was another two years away an offer for often twice as much to play in France or Japan would be much more interesting IMHO

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Makes sense. To cling on to our Pacific Islander players we were always going to need a strong club game. We need one to hang on to our own players.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/sep/19/france-rugby-world-cup-2023

Can't embed links for some reason. Anyway, some interesting comments from the bid leader for France's world cup hosting bid. Talks about the supremacy of the club game over the international and compares it with Soccer.

Feels inevitable.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
James O'Connor.........

“I know what I can do and I haven’t done anything near that yet,” he said. “A big part of that is issues I’ve had off the field.”

“I’ll play for Australia again.”

“People think they know a lot about me because of the errors I’ve made,” he told the Daily Mail.

“You can’t tell me that other people haven’t done these sorts of things. I just get caught. I get drunk and get caught.

“But people don’t know about the full story. There’s no point me telling it because no one would believe me. They have made up their minds already.”

4473C60500000578-4896664-image-a-59_1505762616807.jpg

4431977500000578-4896664-image-a-43_1505760832055.jpg

6515-2650.gif

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
James is far from an angel but come on guys hes not the devil. A real summary of his indiscretions can be put as

*food fight
*fracas (what ever that is)
*missed a photo
*ate a burger at 4am
*consumed to much alcohol
*caught with drugs

Only the last 2 if you ask me are worth even mentioning, with the last obviously the worst of the lot.

It more screams a lack of maturity and professionalism than a bad person

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He was fined for a food fight? Must have been one hell of a food fight.

Also, since when is Maccas referred to as a 'burger bar'. dafuq.

J'OC should be on close to 100 caps by now. Irritates me when people piss away talent.

T

TOCC

James is far from an angel but come on guys hes not the devil. A real summary of his indiscretions can be put as

*food fight
*fracas (what ever that is)
*missed a photo
*ate a burger at 4am
*consumed to much alcohol
*caught with drugs

Only the last 2 if you ask me are worth even mentioning, with the last obviously the worst of the lot.

I think you'll find there were a few more indiscretions kept in house, but he isn't the only one there.

I think the general frustrations with JOC (James O'Connor) had to do with attitude to the team leadership group and refusing to learn from his mistakes

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think you'll find there were a few more indiscretions kept in house, but he isn't the only one there.

I think the general frustrations with JOC (James O'Connor) had to do with attitude to the team leadership group and refusing to learn from his mistakes

True, but i feel there is more a willingness in Aus rugby to chew up and spit people out of the system than there is with any other sport in Australia. Examples are Jonathan Thurston been arrested in the past, now the ideal role model, Dust Martin and his chop sticks, Russel Packer went to prison, the list could go on and on. I am all for players being fined, or banned for a period or even if the incident is that shocking a contract been torn up. But this kid was cut loose for a lot less than what the other sports would cast aside a player for.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
True, but i feel there is more a willingness in Aus rugby to chew up and spit people out of the system than there is with any other sport in Australia. Examples are Jonathan Thurston been arrested in the past, now the ideal role model, Dust Martin and his chop sticks, Russel Packer went to prison, the list could go on and on. I am all for players being fined, or banned for a period or even if the incident is that shocking a contract been torn up. But this kid was cut loose for a lot less than what the other sports would cast aside a player for.

Kind of. He was cut loose at the time but there was clearly scope for him to return to a soup team and work his way back in. He came back to the reds, played like shit, expected to get picked and didn't, cracked the shits and left again.

He's kinda right though. A lot of people do a lot of bad shit behind closed doors ('mistakes'). Nobody's fault but his that he can't hide it.

T

TOCC

Yes, but It's not like he has been spat out and told never to return, he was offered a second chance in 2015 when the Reds signed him. He asked for a release to head back to Europe at the end of that season.

I thought 2015 was his opportunity to establish himself as a leader in a young peer group, but he didn't seem to do that, he even got into a fight in the changing rooms at half time with Adam Thompson.

He could come back, but I doubt any team will be in a rush to sign him, the risk of destabilising the playing group is too high.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes, but It's not like he has been spat out and told never to return, he was offered a second chance in 2015 when the Reds signed him. He asked for a release to head back to Europe at the end of that season.

I thought 2015 was his opportunity to establish himself as a leader in a young peer group, but he didn't seem to do that, he even got into a fight in the changing rooms at half time with Adam Thompson.

He could come back, but I doubt any team will be in a rush to sign him, the risk of destabilising the playing group is too high.

and to be fair to JOC (James O'Connor), Adam Thomson is a bit of a twat.