• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Hmmm, there seems to be a pattern with JOC (James O'Connor)'s indiscretions

"November 2010 Involved in a fracas with Cooper and Kurtley Beale in Paris, three days before a Test against France. All three played in the record 59-16 win"

"June 2013 Caught in a burger bar with Beale at 4am. Both started the 16-15 win over the Lions three days later"

Maybe we need to have some more JOC (James O'Connor) incidents three days before the Bledisloe tests next year? Probably need to have Kurtley on board too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Brand "JOC (James O'Connor)" appears to be a catalyst for shit happening, but it is never his fault

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
True, but i feel there is more a willingness in Aus rugby to chew up and spit people out of the system than there is with any other sport in Australia. Examples are Jonathan Thurston been arrested in the past, now the ideal role model, Dust Martin and his chop sticks, Russel Packer went to prison, the list could go on and on. I am all for players being fined, or banned for a period or even if the incident is that shocking a contract been torn up. But this kid was cut loose for a lot less than what the other sports would cast aside a player for.

I think there was a lot more with regards to the team. Remember Higginbotham's comments when O'Connor left the Rebels - it would be better for him to develop his skills and personality at a different club.

And in the same interview said that everyone liked Beale and wanted him to stick around (who had alcohol problems, promised to go off the drink - lasted about 2 weeks and punched the captain)

I heard a rumor that O'Connor was not really engaged in the training sessions.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Hmmm, there seems to be a pattern with JOC (James O'Connor)'s indiscretions

"November 2010 Involved in a fracas with Cooper and Kurtley Beale in Paris, three days before a Test against France. All three played in the record 59-16 win"

"June 2013 Caught in a burger bar with Beale at 4am. Both started the 16-15 win over the Lions three days later"

Maybe we need to have some more JOC (James O'Connor) incidents three days before the Bledisloe tests next year? Probably need to have Kurtley on board too.

Also says a lot about the lack of discipline under Deans. Remember Eddie dropping Flatley for not rocking up to training before the England game in 2003?

(Then again it was probably Eddie trying to give himself more excuses for when the Poms beat us by playing Grey at 10)

Regardless, JO'C is definitely a lost talent. Apart from a few games against the ABs when he was too raw he always played well for the Wallabies.

Reactions: gel

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Does anyone know when the two squads will be picked for the "Classic Wallabies" vs The "Barbarians" match at Lismore on 24th October? Presumably, both teams will need a couple of weeks to settle in, train together, and "bond"?!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does anyone know when the two squads will be picked for the "Classic Wallabies" vs The "Barbarians" match at Lismore on 24th October? Presumably, both teams will need a couple of weeks to settle in, train together, and "bond"?!

mate, I reckon it will they will only be confirmed as they run on the field. If they have more than a day together I'd be surprised. I still don't know where they are getting their players from. It's mid-NRC. Perhaps it will be players not playing for NRC teams? Guys like Maalonga Konelio, Byron Hutchinson, Fred Dorrough, etc

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Jones has said he wants to pick the bulk of his Barbs squad from the discarded Force players.

I imagine the Spirit (given their propensity to rest players anyway) will be more than happy to let Hardwick, Phillips, Arnold etc. all rip in against the Wallabies.

What a game that'd be.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not sure this is the same fully-fledged Barbarians team is it?

They're playing the classic Wallabies which is a bunch of over 35 year olds.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jones has said he wants to pick the bulk of his Barbs squad from the discarded Force players.

I imagine the Spirit (given their propensity to rest players anyway) will be more than happy to let Hardwick, Phillips, Arnold etc. all rip in against the Wallabies.

What a game that'd be.

Would it though? Perth Spirit play QLD Country the day after the Barbarians match, in Ipswich. You are right that the Spirit have rested key players on away trips but this isn't resting players and QLD Country will be quite an important match to potentially determine a home final and avoiding the Drua. But do you think a Wallabies v Perth Spirit game would be a great game? I don't

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sefa Naivalu gone with a shoulder injury that requires surgery in his return match. Terribly unlucky.

Presumably we won't see him again until next year.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Looks like Wessels is off to Munster, Koreibette back to league and there is no guarantee that the bulk of the remaining Force players will not jump ship.
Well done the ARU in consolidating our talent into 4 teams from 5.

What a joke..................

T

TOCC

Koroibete back to league?

He would have to be released, can't see that happening

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Its a very good opportunity for Wessels, a much better one than a stint at the Rebels you would have to think.
After a successful run in Europe he may get a crack at the Bok job at some point in the future.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'm not sure this is the same fully-fledged Barbarians team is it?

They're playing the classic Wallabies which is a bunch of over 35 year olds.

In the good old, bad old, days, the Barbarians was a proper club, with elected office-bearers and a set of guidelines. Those days have long gone. Now the name means very little.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Papers today, say maybe not

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-reports-of-munster-move-20170927-gyq4bt.html

But the Munster job would be a fantastic opportunity for an up and coming coach
It's a hard ask anyway. 'Hey mate we just cut the club you all fought to save, can you go work for the club you think should've been cut'.

Even if you don't take that into consideration, it's still not a very attractive proposition. The Rebels have a very weak squad, and as yet have not strengthened by harvesting players from the Force carcass.

I'd be looking for other options too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In the good old, bad old, days, the Barbarians was a proper club, with elected office-bearers and a set of guidelines. Those days have long gone. Now the name means very little.

On what basis do you think that is true?

The Barbarians still have that same structure and are still selecting teams with plenty of capped test players and are producing strong results.

Last year they drew with a South Africa XV and flogged a Fiji XV.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It's a hard ask anyway. 'Hey mate we just cut the club you all fought to save, can you go work for the club you think should've been cut'.

Even if you don't take that into consideration, it's still not a very attractive proposition. The Rebels have a very weak squad, and as yet have not strengthened by harvesting players from the Force carcass.

I'd be looking for other options too.

Mate, I have personally been through takeovers twice, once I got retrenched and the other time I was the only human in my group kept.

In the real world shit happens and you move on