• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A test against the likes of Fiji or Samoa wouldn't be competitive at all........

Wales however.........

Reactions: TSR

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Id have liked to have seen RHP get some game time to see how he went at the next level.
Valetini could be good but we need to see how he adapts to super rugby before getting too excited.
Although Dempsey seems to be in pole position to get the 6 gig.
Isn't Dempsey out for the season?..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Nothing wrong with throwing a few names up.

I actually quite enjoy the off season optimism. However misplaced it may end up.
If anything I think Cusack actually had the form in the NRC.. Pity his probably going to the bench

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Isn't Dempsey out for the season?..

Haven't heard (that I have noticed) what his likely return date will be. You'd think he'll miss a big chunk of it, at least. Shame, mainly from a Tahs fan perspective actually, as I think there might be a few options at Wallaby level next year mentioned above.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Haven't heard (that I have noticed) what his likely return date will be. You'd think he'll miss a big chunk of it, at least. Shame, mainly from a Tahs fan perspective actually, as I think there might be a few options at Wallaby level next year mentioned above.
Yeah I, read it was all year.. And an injury like that who knows how you come back.. Shame as he really let rip for the Wallabies when given the chance

Reactions: dru

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Ahh this makes sense of your comment in the other thread now.

I certainly don’t find playing test matches against Fiji, Samoa and Tonga boring, that’s a fairly disappointing attitude IMO.

The lack of rugby for the pacific nations is reflected in why the Australia Pasifika population engaged so rapidly with their teams during the RLWC, because they’ve been starved of the opportunity to watch their own rugby teams to play in competitive rugby.

Pacific Nations are such a critical part of international rugby, and I certainly don’t think it’s a “absolute joke” that they be offered more playing opportunities against Australia.

You misinterpreted my post - naturally. PI nations playing more rugby is terrific - no problem at that. What is a joke is that if we play them regularly as opposed to Tier 1 nations our test record will increase dramatically thereby giving a false indication as to the strength of Australian rugby. It's more about saying we are not seriously competitive against the likes of New Zealand, England, Scotland and even Ireland, and moving the goalposts to play lesser teams where we are guaranteed to win. That's the absolute joke aspect that you failed to interpret

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You misinterpreted my post - naturally. PI nations playing more rugby is terrific - no problem at that. What is a joke is that if we play them regularly as opposed to Tier 1 nations our test record will increase dramatically thereby giving a false indication as to the strength of Australian rugby. It's more about saying we are not seriously competitive against the likes of New Zealand, England, Scotland and even Ireland, and moving the goalposts to play lesser teams where we are guaranteed to win. That's the absolute joke aspect that you failed to interpret

Who cares. To be perfectly honest, maybe it's about time we got a few easy stat points. Exclusively playing the two best teams (formerly) in the world over and over for the past 20 years can't have exactly inflated our rankings eh.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Who cares. To be perfectly honest, maybe it's about time we got a few easy stat points. Exclusively playing the two best teams (formerly) in the world over and over for the past 20 years can't have exactly inflated our rankings eh.
It's starting to look like the last couple years we've been inflating the kiwi rankings by playing them so often.
Appears that regular England, Ireland would've given them more trouble.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We've done nothing whatsoever to inflate NZ rankings. Every time we lose to them increases their ranking score by such an abysmally small amount it is literally pointless.

OTOH one loss to us and they were catapulted down the point score to be almost in shooting range of England.

The scoring system can be a bitch.

T

TOCC

The concept of playing Pacific Island countries was never at the expense of playing Tier 1 Nations, In the initial post you quoted it even specified that these could be played prior to the Rugby Championship or the Spring Tour as a warm up test.

With the new rugby calendar from 2019, the opportunity for this may become available. As I said earlier, I would like to see Wallabies playing one of the Pacific Island Countries(Fiji, Samoa, Tong) every non-RWC year, so at a minimum the Wallabies are playing st least all 3 teams in a RWC cycle. Playing PI Nations would be at the expense of stupid games like the Barbarians one played this year. Increasing test match rugby for the Pacific Nations isn’t a joke, it’s something I strongly support.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Was Naisarani always not available until 2019 and it was just misinformation that he would be eligible next year or did something happen to push it back? I swear Fox Sports were talking about him being eligible next year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The concept of playing Pacific Island countries was never at the expense of playing Tier 1 Nations, In the initial post you quoted it even specified that these could be played prior to the Rugby Championship or the Spring Tour as a warm up test.

With the new rugby calendar from 2019, the opportunity for this may become available. As I said earlier, I would like to see Wallabies playing one of the Pacific Island Countries(Fiji, Samoa, Tong) every non-RWC year, so at a minimum the Wallabies are playing st least all 3 teams in a RWC cycle. Playing PI Nations would be at the expense of stupid games like the Barbarians one played this year. Increasing test match rugby for the Pacific Nations isn’t a joke, it’s something I strongly support.

They could tour the same way the northern teams do. 3 tests early in the year, one against each Fij, Tonga and Samoa. Rotates between SA, NZ and Aus.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
He was here in 2015 which is probably where the confusion comes from. He went back to Fiji and then came back to Aus in 2016. He sought clarification from World Rugby and it was deemed his residency started again in 2016. So he won't be eligible until 2019.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Wilson

David Codey (61)
A few rounds in, time to start talking about who's putting there hand up for selection and what the wallabies will be looking for from the super sides?

The big question for me at the moment is hooker. I'd think it'd be best to give TPN some time off during the Ireland tests, he's played a far bit of rugby in the last year and we need to be getting experience into the other guys. Uelese is almost certain to start but the backup spot looks wide open at the moment. If Latu gets back to starting he's the likely option but we could easily see BPA there at this stage, though he needs to improve his throwing.

Otherwise there's a backrow spot open for whoever takes it, it's a real pity Naiserani isn't eligible till 2019.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk