• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

T

TOCC

Really? if that's actually the case i wonder how we hang on to anyone.

I’m confused.. you said he would play for Australia over Fiji for money, but you don’t believe he would play for Fiji if he was offered a larger figure from a French club?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nah, i think he would. I think most people would. I wonder how we manage to hang onto any players if the northern money really is that much better.

T

TOCC

Australain raised players want to remain in Australia to be closer to families and friends, in a familiar surrounding and play for the Wallabies, they can’t do that from France.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Because people want to live here. They have families and social networks and want to keep them.

For someone like Isi Naisarani, eventually becoming an Australian citizen could be a substantial drawcard. If he went to play in France for the rest of his career he could have a very difficult time moving back to Australia to live later on.

Getting capped for Fiji means Naisarani effectively has to play in Europe for the remainder of his career.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I wonder if the cost of acquiring a visa in some traditional method outweighs lost potential income in Europe.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
If Taf is not coming back then Paenga-Amosa and Uelese are likely to be the front runners for Wallabies selection the way things are going. Both are good players but very green, hooker selection will be interesting this year.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So - what’s our form XV update after the weekend?

I’d have a crack at it, but I didn’t see the Tahs vs Rebels and, seeing as that is 50% of our players, I don’t think I am best placed.

Although - even if I did I’d probably just pick the Reds starting 15. :)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
How about we develop an un-capped 15 pushing for a Wallabies spot? I only have a few:

6. Ross Haylett-Petty
8. Timu
9. Jake Gordon
10. Lance (is he capped?)
14. Maddocks

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
How about we develop an un-capped 15 pushing for a Wallabies spot? I only have a few:

6. Ross Haylett-Petty
8. Timu
9. Jake Gordon
10. Lance (is he capped?)
14. Maddocks

1. Saaga 2. Rangi 3. Ainsley
4. RHP 5. Arnold
6. Valetini 8. TImu 7. Wright
9. Ruru 10. Lance 11. Peni 12. Meakes 13. English 14. Maddocks 15. Banks
16. Amosa 17. Smith 18. Talakai 19. Staniforth 20. Mccaffrey/Holloway/Fainga'a 21. Gordon 22. Mason/DP 23. Newsome/Perese

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't think Valetini is pushing for a spot since he's crocked for most of the season? I wouldn't include Ruru, Peni, Banks either. Defo not Holloway, not even on the bench.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rangi had a shocker yesterday. Fitzpatrick was substantially better. Though I think Brandon Paenga-Amosa is comfortably playing the best of the uncapped hoookers right now.

From the Tahs vs Rebels game yesterday, Kepu certainly put his hand up that he's still in the 3 or 18 jersey, Beale at 12, Folau at 14 or 15 and Foley silenced some critics at 10. Hooper's consistency continues to be fantastic.

Maddocks is certainly on fire and should be in the Wallabies squad. Hodge had a shocker. Naivalu did some good and some bad off the bench and Koroibete didn't have a big impact starting.

DHP's concussion was disappointing for him and exposed the Rebels at the back (mostly due to how poorly Hodge played) but I think generally DHP is well down on form this year. He's probably been the poorest of the Rebels starting backs in my opinion.

In the forwards I though Ainsley was probably the best Rebels forward but Coleman was pretty anonymous.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think Valetini is pushing for a spot since he's crocked for most of the season? I wouldn't include Ruru, Peni, Banks either. Defo not Holloway, not even on the bench.

wasn't picked on current form and availability. Banks hasn't had a super start to the season but obviously a great one last year. Peni started this season very well also and was in good form for force last year. I'd say he offers more then newsome, taliuali, clarke, etc. Perese is also injured. Ruru is a great player and offers more then tuttle and goddard

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Don’t mind the concept but I think there are a number of guys in that list who aren’t realistically close to the selection frame. However, if you expanded the criteria slightly to make it the ‘dark horse’ or ‘bolter’ XV then names like Chris Feauai-Sautia come into the mix. Maybe even Naiyaravoro who sounds like he made an impact off the bench.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
and rangi did well last season but hasn't done anythign yet, whereas amosa and fitzpatrick are doing well. etc etc.

Point is, I love the idea of training squad for the development of players, though tbh is you are going to do that concurrently with a wallaby squad, probably better off developing the younger players who have a better chance of stepping up after 2019 as opposed to journeymen. (I know some are injured)

Would never happen....to expensivve

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
wasn't picked on current form and availability. Banks hasn't had a super start to the season but obviously a great one last year. Peni started this season very well also and was in good form for force last year. I'd say he offers more then newsome, taliuali, clarke, etc. Perese is also injured. Ruru is a great player and offers more then tuttle and goddard
Peni started so well he got dropped.. To be fair he's been anonymous.. But that was more the Brumbies back line then his fault

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Don’t mind the concept but I think there are a number of guys in that list who aren’t realistically close to the selection frame. However, if you expanded the criteria slightly to make it the ‘dark horse’ or ‘bolter’ XV then names like Chris Feauai-Sautia come into the mix. Maybe even Naiyaravoro who sounds like he made an impact off the bench.

I think it would be better geared towards a 'future' wallaby hopeful camp. targeting those we don't know much about but are in Super Rugby and can be driven along in their development to be quality starters post 2019 and potentially in Wallaby pictures.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
And I guess I was hoping to get people’s views of who the inform players were. Given that a number of the players listed above are t making run on at the moment for their super team, they aren’t likely to be getting anyone’s attention.