• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
We should just agree on what are the definite selections and then work out the rest from there. Arguing about Folau at fullback or the Pooper are pointless as they will definitely be there.

Do we agree the below are certainties and are there any other?

1 Sio
3 Kepu
4 Arnold
5 Coleman
7 Hooper
8 Pocock (unless 6)
9 Genia
10 Foley
12 Beale
15 Folau

18 Tupou

Tupou isnt certain for 18 it be him or aaa who is still having an outstanding season and has experience.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The info I can find is that it was a last minute decision to start him at 12 but not that he hadn't been training there.

"The decision to start Hunt against Fiji came at the 11th hour, with Wallabies coach Michael Cheika changing his mind during the Thursday session, knowing full well the 30-year-old had only lined up at inside-centre just once for the Queensland Reds."

Hunt's selection was a surprise - even to him - after spending the Super Rugby season as Queensland's fullback but coach Michael Cheika said his hunger and resilience couldn't be ignored.

"It was a little bit surprising given I've been playing at 15 for the last couple of years but when it comes to Test footy you take whatever jersey is given to you," Hunt said.
"I was a little bit shocked but I've managed to get my head around the plays but I'm looking forward to it and come game day I will be ready."
Taken from two separate articles.
Seems to me like he was destined for a bench role and then Cheika decided to start him. I can't find anything to suggest he was training as a fullback only for the Wallabies. That would seem strange given Folau was healthy.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It is absolutely baffling why the Wallabies are "persisting" with the guy who has won three of the four John Eales Medals at fullback.
He was also a good chance of setting the international try scoring record had he gone on the EOYT. The problem with Folau being so good in the air and in attack is that expectations are set so high for other parts of his game. Rather have Folau than someone like Leigh Halfpenny who can kick but hasn’t got a highlights package to speak of.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He was also a good chance of setting the international try scoring record had he gone on the EOYT. The problem with Folau being so good in the air and in attack is that expectations are set so high for other parts of his game. Rather have Folau than someone like Leigh Halfpenny who can kick but hasn’t got a highlights package to speak of.
Geez thats a bit harsh, have a look at the BIL 3rd match against us. Halfpenny tore us a fucken new one.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It's been said before, but every year TK coasts through Super Rugby and then performs for the Wallabies... so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets selected - although sometimes it requires him being dropped for a couple of games as a wake up call.

In that case I wouldn't mind Rona given a game or two to see how he goes..... Kerevi's defensive issues make him a poor substitute, and he seems to perform better at 12 anyways.
My concern starting Rona over Kurindrani immediately would be that TK seems to be the guy who holds the whole defensive line together when the reshuffle occurs. As soon as he came on in the second half of Bledislode I there was some form of defensive pattern working and from then on we never had the same problem. I’d prefer TK starts and Rona comes off the bench so the defensive line has some semblance of organisation before the new guy in the setup gets a gig.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I was making reference to K-Hunt literally training all Wallabies camp at 15, no mention of playing anywhere else, then game day told 'oh you're playing 12 today.'

And I was making reference to you saying Cheika doesn't like change because he wouldn't do as you suggest.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
And I was making reference to you saying Cheika doesn't like change because he wouldn't do as you suggest.

No, I'm saying Cheika doesn't like change because we can see it in his actions. He played Ned Hanigan for like 80 a game for like 12 games or something. He had zero back up fly halves in his squad. The only real changes he made to his squad were forced, he didn't experiment with his sides.

Look at the Kiwi's club to All-Blacks they are trying guys bringing them off the bench giving them time off the bench dropping them when they aren't performing but keeping them in the squad giving them opportunities to get back into the side. Constantly tinkering trying to improve... and they are the number 1 team in the world. We fall from 2nd to 4th - same old same old, except Ned Hanigan.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Wallabies used 40 something players last year including 14 debutantes but sure, he never tries any different players.

Is the issue that he doesn't pick the players you want?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Timu - yes (assuming he returns from injury). Valentini - likely - but let’s let him actually get through a few super rugby games first. The others - too early to call. I don’t really see any of the last 3 as priority squad inclusions.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Anyone see on Kick and Chase how Perese had a car organised to go straight to his club game to play the second half after the Reds touched down from NZ? Pretty good attitude for someone who’s been relegated to the bench even though he’s clearly good enough to make the Reds starting lineup and probabaly the Wallaby squad.