• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Here's my updated 33 man Wallaby squad:

Props (5): Sio, Slipper, Kepu, Ala'alatoa, Tupou
Hookers (3): BPA, Uelese, Fitzpatrick
Locks (5): Coleman, Rodda, Simmons, Arnold, Tui
Backrow (6): Hooper (c), Pocock, Timu, Hanigan, Korczyk, Cottrell
Halfbacks (3): Genia, Phipps, Gordon
Fly halves/IC (4): Foley, Beale, Hodge, Kerevi
Outside backs(7): Kuridrani, Rona, Folau, Koroibete, Maddocks, DHP, Naiyaravoro

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

He's gotta be 14 man. I'd prefer an in-form Koroibete but in-form he aint.

He's our answer to Savea or Lam.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It wouldn't surprise me to see Cheika go for existing combinations and experienced players for this series. We've got a week to prepare and face a settled Irish team, and you'd be mad to mix things up too much. So I'm calling:

Sio, Uelese, Kepu, Simmons, Coleman, Higgers, Hooper, Pocock

Genia, Foley, Hodge, Beale, Kuridrani, Koroibete, Folau

Subs: Fitzpatrick, Robinson, Allan A, Douglas, Timu, Tui (is he fit?), Phipps, Rona

I reckon I'll get at least 19/23. The question marks for me are in the bench hooker/locks/backrows.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon Simmons is a very good chance to in the 23 with Arnold out for the first test. He's by far the most experienced lineout caller we have and is playing well.

Lock Phipps in as the reserve halfback. I think that's a pretty obvious selection. He has returned well from injury.

I think Robertson only plays if Slipper is injured.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
^^^
Be be pretty fucking underwhelming to see Fitzpatrick, Robertson, Simmons and Phipps in the team/ on the bench.

But that's what will happen I reckon - safe, experienced options will be preferred over newcomers. Slipper over Robertson could happen, though.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Simmons pretty much killed the Highlanders lineout on the weekend. Better to go into the first test with a functioning set piece also giving the younger fellas, who are better around the park, more time to get used to the setup than go in and not be able to win any ball.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Props (5): Sio, Slipper, Kepu, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Robertson

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...-test-20180524-p4zh71.html?platform=hootsuite

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
James Slipper has breached the drugs policy and has been stood down for two months, so looks like it will be Robertson.......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Dd7HRpAVwAASWUU.jpg:large

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It wouldn't surprise me to see Cheika go for existing combinations and experienced players for this series. We've got a week to prepare and face a settled Irish team, and you'd be mad to mix things up too much. So I'm calling:

Sio, Uelese, Kepu, Simmons, Coleman, Higgers, Hooper, Pocock

Genia, Foley, Hodge, Beale, Kuridrani, Koroibete, Folau

Subs: Fitzpatrick, Robinson, Allan A, Douglas, Timu, Tui (is he fit?), Phipps, Rona

I reckon I'll get at least 19/23. The question marks for me are in the bench hooker/locks/backrows.

DHP and Rodda might feature and both bring some experience. Lineout will be key as Ireland will kick to the lines often and play off that set piece. We are going to need to stop the Irish pack in close early and discipline will be very important.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

You'd maybe see ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright in instead of Cottrell, Higgers is an alternative too and could potentially bring some more balance to the back row.
Also surely you'd have to take Hamish Stewart in the 33 man squad, the only other viable fly half in Australian Super Rugby? (I'd maybe drop Rona out of the 33 for Stewart, you need a second fly half -- we can't be one head-knock away from Hodge at 10 for a Test again!)

Not sure if you can pick Tui given his lack of form (well actually any rugby at all).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hodge or Beale will play 10 before Hamish Stewart. I don't think he will be in the squad.

What makes you think Stewart will do better at 10 at test level than Hodge?