• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

dru

Tim Horan (67)
@ZC, look mate, I've got wraps on Stewart's potential too, but honest, what are you smoking? He just can't be called a viable FH even at Super level (yet) let alone International.

Give the bloke a chance.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
It would be nice if you could advocate for the inclusion of a player who doesn't wear red just one time. One time bro.

I have said a few times that Hanging is much better this season. Naiyaravoro has been killing it. Maddocks has been good.

@Braveheart

Beale I'd want a look at as a 10 but could be good. Hodge is no 10 IMO, they are playing him at 10 this weekend and we will see if I'm wrong on this, but really he's just not got the aptitude for it.
I wouldn't mind Mac Masion being in the squad then to cover 10 if not Stewart, but bottom line we actually need a backup 10 not a centre/wing/fullback shoehorned into 10. If not Stewart/Masion than Lance (although please god no!), Ireland will cut us to ribbons if we are in a situation where we have to play anyone who isn't a real fly half at 10.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Simmons and Genia. :)

I'd never advocate for Genia because he's probably the first guy on the team sheet. Simmons god no, I'd rather see us go back to Hanigan playing the full 80 than us starting Simmons! (maybe if we have a few injuries.)

Also I just advocated for Tui to be left out of the side, isn't that the same thing?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Simmons pretty much killed the Highlanders lineout on the weekend. Better to go into the first test with a functioning set piece also giving the younger fellas, who are better around the park, more time to get used to the setup than go in and not be able to win any ball.

Just on the locks, I think Rodda is equaly as efficient at the lineout as Simmons and worth two of him around the ground. It will be a huge opportunity missed if Simmons makes the side instead of Rodda, but I do agree it is more than 75% likely.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have said a few times that Hanging is much better this season. Naiyaravoro has been killing it. Maddocks has been good.

@Braveheart

Beale I'd want a look at as a 10 but could be good. Hodge is no 10 IMO, they are playing him at 10 this weekend and we will see if I'm wrong on this, but really he's just not got the aptitude for it.
I wouldn't mind Mac Masion being in the squad then to cover 10 if not Stewart, but bottom line we actually need a backup 10 not a centre/wing/fullback shoehorned into 10. If not Stewart/Masion than Lance (although please god no!), Ireland will cut us to ribbons if we are in a situation where we have to play anyone who isn't a real fly half at 10.

Deegan's chances of making the squad from the Force will be almost zilch, but he would be about the next best and experienced No 10 going round in Aus rugby atm.

Reactions: dru

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Just on the locks, I think Rodda is equaly as efficient at the lineout as Simmons and worth two of him around the ground. It will be a huge opportunity missed if Simmons makes the side instead of Rodda, but I do agree it is more than 75% likely.

Yes I would have preferred Coleman and Arnold with Rodda on the bench but without Arnold and given there's only a week to prepare before the first test it might be best to take the safe option and get Simmons out there.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You'd maybe see ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright in instead of Cottrell, Higgers is an alternative too and could potentially bring some more balance to the back row.
Also surely you'd have to take Hamish Stewart in the 33 man squad, the only other viable fly half in Australian Super Rugby? (I'd maybe drop Rona out of the 33 for Stewart, you need a second fly half -- we can't be one head-knock away from Hodge at 10 for a Test again!)

Not sure if you can pick Tui given his lack of form (well actually any rugby at all).
#needsfarmoarreds

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I just read that the Waratah lineout was 100% on it's own throws and that it won 3/10 lineouts from the Highlanders throw ins. Simmo leads that line out.

The Irish have been building a reputation for playing long phases and building control. We will need the ability to turnover possession. Pocock and the double-7 is an obvious component. Simmo to control the lineout must also be enticing to Cheika.

Simmo has normally very high involvement if not the busting ruck impact of some other locks. His line out work is well recognised, and his scrum work is highly rated by the props. A blend of lock styles could work. 3 locks for the 23 being Coleman, Simmo and Rodda could work. And you'd start Simmo. Rodda from the bench I think.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Rodda has been in outstanding form. He's definitely one of my three locks for the first test. Whether he starts or not is another question. I see no reason why he shouldn't. Simmons can be on the bench.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rodda is also a very good lineout technician. He has played more minutes but he has more lineout wins and as many lineout steals as Simmons this season.

The only thing that needs to be resolved in my view is who the lineout caller is and who the backup is. One of them needs to start and one needs to be on the bench.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The argument in favour of Simmons is that he is a very good lineout tactician. So it is said, not by me incidentally.
I think it’s hard to deny. Argue all you want about whether he is a complete lock, but it seems, from teams he has played for, that line out, and scrum, work is not in question. From coaches and co-players. Line-buster, defensive Hulk.............maybe not. We don’t need all players to be all things they might be. We need balance. He may well have a place. Especially with Coleman and Rodda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Has it been posted that it's now confirmed Ireland are indeed sending a full-strength squad to Australia for the June Tests:

SQUAD

Forwards (18)

Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 111 (capt)

Tadhg Beirne (Scarlets) *

Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 7

Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 61

Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 23

Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 78

Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 38

Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 3

Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster) 9

Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 47

Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster) 20

Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 47

Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 7

Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 5

James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 8

John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 13

CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 23

Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 58

Backs (14)

Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 7

Ross Byrne (UCD/Leinster) *

Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Leinster) 10

Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 6

John Cooney (Terenure College/Ulster) 1

Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 67

Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 33

Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 83

Jordan Larmour (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 3

Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) 21

Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 64

Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 13

Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 73

Jacob Stockdale (Ballynahnch/Ulster) 9

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/05/23/june-series-ireland-squad-wallabies

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Rodda is also a very good lineout technician. He has played more minutes but he has more lineout wins and as many lineout steals as Simmons this season.

The only thing that needs to be resolved in my view is who the lineout caller is and who the backup is. One of them needs to start and one needs to be on the bench.
Rodda and Simmons to start not like Coleman setting the world on fire

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Rodda and Simmons to start not like Coleman setting the world on fire

Not actually a proponent of his selection, but Douglass has been very good this season too! How did we go from zero stock at lock to an actual glut at lock -- Maybe Arnold is the odd many out given he's got a few weeks off.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not actually a proponent of his selection, but Douglass has been very good this season too! How did we go from zero stock at lock to an actual glut at lock -- Maybe Arnold is the odd many out given he's got a few weeks off.

Agree. And Cheika may well be watching. Rodda is better though and Simmo offers something that Douglas doesn’t.