• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The closest thing to Phipps is TJ Perenara, top footballer - very ordinary scrumhalf.

God I hope this is the year the 'Phipps can't pass' myth dies and never comes back.

It's patently false, and doesn't stand up to even the slightest scrutiny.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
And that's what Australia needs, the X factor.

Ec2TVI1.gif

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
God I hope this is the year the 'Phipps can't pass' myth dies and never comes back.

But he could pass even more accurately, if took as much time as some of the others do to get to the breakdown.

There is just that down side of the defense getting set

Or just not get to some rucks

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

Exactly, he's got the best pass since Gregan, even if it is a bit erratic sometimes, but even then they're usually communication issues RE who's actually supposed to receive it.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I feel your pain @Brumbieman. X-factor is NOT what Australia needs. God knows its never been what the All Blacks have need.

I'd much rather seeing our team play enterprising, exciting and winning footy through the application of physicality, urgency and strategy rather than seeing a linebreak once every 40 minutes because our mercurial and likely hungover flyhalf / fullback has thrown an unexpected offload to his inside shoulder because he couldnt fathom taking the ball into contact after the enormous night he had the night before.

Nup. Smart footy over X-factor any day of the week.

That being said, I wouldn't mind some real strike power out on the wings for once. A part of me died when Tomane got injured.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

At the risk of getting howled down Barbarian, I can't really bring myself to agree with your comment.

Phipps is an excellent and wholehearted footballer. His fitness, aggressive nature and defence are all top notch and you could never argue he doesn't give his all.

But (IMO) his passing can be erratic and, as a scrum half, that can be an issue. To be honest, I wouldn't have even thought that was a very controversial statement.

I am unsure difference his speed to the ruck really makes to the accuracy of his pass, except that, if the general point of that comment was that Phipps strengths outweigh his shortcomings compared to the other options available, then I agree.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Given the presale to members and now the open to the public today, I'm surprised the English tests haven't sold out yet.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Strike power is all good on the wings, but before you get to them you just need to be able to draw and pass the ball. I've lost count of how many times a kiwi team has just put the ball through the hands, from one side of the field with simple short, accurate passing drawing each receiver onto the ball, at pace.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Strike power is all good on the wings, but before you get to them you just need to be able to draw and pass the ball. I've lost count of how many times a kiwi team has just put the ball through the hands, from one side of the field with simple short, accurate passing drawing each receiver onto the ball, at pace.
Pace is a big word there. But not just pace in running. They could even put Corey Jane in gaps.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
At the risk of getting howled down Barbarian, I can't really bring myself to agree with your comment.

Phipps is an excellent and wholehearted footballer. His fitness, aggressive nature and defence are all top notch and you could never argue he doesn't give his all.

But (IMO) his passing can be erratic and, as a scrum half, that can be an issue. To be honest, I wouldn't have even thought that was a very controversial statement.

I am unsure difference his speed to the ruck really makes to the accuracy of his pass, except that, if the general point of that comment was that Phipps strengths outweigh his shortcomings compared to the other options available, then I agree.
Phipps' pass isn't inaccurate because of his speed to the breakdown. It's because he passes the ball straight off (and in some cases directly out of) the ruck. It's a deliberate trade-off, and in Cheika's mind, a winning one. One howler is a good swop for twenty faster clearances.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Pace is a big word there. But not just pace in running. They could even put Corey Jane in gaps.

It's Blitzkrieg rugby.

Smash them up front with pure power and aggression, gain momentum and then exploit the opportunities that arise from a defensive line scrambling to realign after each attack.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I agree. The only point I was really trying to make is that I don't think we need to guild the lily to defend the bloke. What player doesn't have short comings of some form?

I suppose I was railing more against the absolutes: 'he can't pass', 'he's a terrible scrumhalf' etc.

Your criticism is fair and reasoned, I'm fine with that (though I think he's a better passer than you give him credit for). Not trying to gloss over his issues at all.

Reactions: TSR

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think it is fair to say that the most successful Wallaby teams have had a world-class scrum-half.

Phipps is our best at the moment, but we need somebody better. No disrespect to Phipps, by the way.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I feel your pain @Brumbieman. X-factor is NOT what Australia needs. God knows its never been what the All Blacks have need.

I'd much rather seeing our team play enterprising, exciting and winning footy through the application of physicality, urgency and strategy rather than seeing a linebreak once every 40 minutes because our mercurial and likely hungover flyhalf / fullback has thrown an unexpected offload to his inside shoulder because he couldnt fathom taking the ball into contact after the enormous night he had the night before.

Nup. Smart footy over X-factor any day of the week.

Surely smart football these days involves x-factor and offloading? There's no teams where that is more evident than the All Blacks.

Aaron Smith, Beaudan Barrett, Aaron Cruden, Malakai Fekitoa, Damian McKenzie, Ben Smith etc. are all offloading wizards and have x-factor coming out the wazoo.

Certainly physicality and basic skills are vital but offloading has become one of the key attributes in modern rugby and the best teams do it the most and score the most tries from it.

Mercurial is certainly not what you want but it's hard to identify really top line players who you can honestly say don't have x-factor!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Call me biassed but I don't see how any other 8 could be considered to be in front of Holloway for the gold jumper. McCalman put in an honest performance last week resembling an Energizer Bunny but he's not in the same class as Holloway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Call me biassed but I don't see how any other 8 could be considered to be in front of Holloway for the gold jumper. McCalman put in an honest performance last week resembling an Energizer Bunny but he's not in the same class as Holloway.

I agree in terms of players playing at number 8 although think that it will be David Pocock playing at number 8 for the Wallabies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I agree in terms of players playing at number 8 although think that it will be David Pocock playing at number 8 for the Wallabies.

I agree with you in respect of actual selection.

However either Holloway or McCalman should be 8 (as they are actually better than Poey in THAT position) on form and Pocock should be 7 on form
Hooper has just not played well enough in respect of the seven spot

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes, the coach should ignore how well his backrow combination went at the RWC and the fact it got his team to the final which significantly exceeded expectations.

On what basis is McCalman better at number 8 than Pocock? Surely Pocock produced arguably the best number 8 games last year that we've seen since Toutai Kefu.