• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
History history and history.

I agree that Poey and Hooper were good at RWC , 6 months ago.

Time moves on, players lose form others gain form. Always pick the best available.

At some point you have to let go of the past :)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah, how dare you pick players based on their previous test performances. That is just madness.

What you need to do is forget that, forget the fancy 'World Cup Final' that happened fucking MONTHS ago and focus on how they played against the Cheetahs in round 5. Now THAT is how you determine Test quality players.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Let go of the past is fair enough. Doesn't mean throw out most recent possible form 8 months ago for Super form, particularly when the former is excellentand the latter is underperformance rather than actually playing badly.

I mean, should Nonu have not been selected for the ABs between 2010 and 2014?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, how dare you pick players based on their previous test performances. That is just madness.

What you need to do is forget that, forget the fancy 'World Cup Finals' that happened fucking MONTHS ago and focus on how they played against the Cheetahs in round 5. Now THAT is how you determine Test quality players.

Now that's what I call drawing a long bow.

Ridiculous comment about last weeks performances but I suppose it was just an attempt at humour.

Drawing a long bow myself you guys would obviously still be picking those blokes from 1991 and 1999.:)

Form does play a large role in selections - those who think it does not are living in fairyland. Reasonably recent history also plays an important part

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What form exactly are you picking McCalman on to play at number 8?

Or is it mostly the fact that you still can't deal with picking two openside flankers?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Form does play a large role in selections - those who think it does not are living in fairyland. Reasonably recent history also plays an important part

For the past 10 years, the All Blacks have more or less ignored Super form. Guys like Read, McCaw, Nonu, Smith would very rarely look good for their relevant Super sides in the early weeks, because they all knew where their bread was buttered- the big games later in the year.

Sure enough these guys would get picked and play like champions for the ABs, year after year after fucking year.

The same could be said of the Queensland Origin side as well.

Some blokes are just big game players, and you know they will turn up when you need them 100% of the time. Fardy, Hooper and Pocock are all this type of player and for me they are the first three picked for at least the next 12 months.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
For the past 10 years, the All Blacks have more or less ignored Super form. Guys like Read, McCaw, Nonu, Smith would very rarely look good for their relevant Super sides in the early weeks, because they all knew where their bread was buttered- the big games later in the year.

Sure enough these guys would get picked and play like champions for the ABs, year after year after fucking year.

The same could be said of the Queensland Origin side as well.

Some blokes are just big game players, and you know they will turn up when you need them 100% of the time. Fardy, Hooper and Pocock are all this type of player and for me they are the first three picked for at least the next 12 months.

What about after that ??????????????????

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
What form exactly are you picking McCalman on to play at number 8?

Or is it mostly the fact that you still can't deal with picking two openside flankers?

I can deal with most let alone a couple of open sides. that has nothing to do with anything.

I personally think Pocock is a much better 7 than Hooper and brings a lot more to the position.. Hooper ain't an 8.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can deal with most let alone a couple of open sides. that has nothing to do with anything.

I personally think Pocock is a much better 7 than Hooper and brings a lot more to the position.. Hooper ain't an 8.

It seemed to me that last year Pocock was more effective at the breakdown because he was making less tackles and Hooper was making more dominant tackles behind the advantage line.

What exactly would Pocock have done differently last year if he'd had a 7 on his back rather than an 8?

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Even as a Force supporter I think McCalman should have left when he had the chance, if he was playing at 8 for the Tahs or Brums he would have cemented his Wallaby position

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Call me biassed but I don't see how any other 8 could be considered to be in front of Holloway for the gold jumper. McCalman put in an honest performance last week resembling an Energizer Bunny but he's not in the same class as Holloway.

Biassed or not, I'm with you on Holloway @Lindommer. Will be massive in the Wallabies No 8 imo.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yes, the coach should ignore how well his backrow combination went at the RWC and the fact it got his team to the final which significantly exceeded expectations.

On what basis is McCalman better at number 8 than Pocock? Surely Pocock produced arguably the best number 8 games last year that we've seen since Toutai Kefu.

Was very much in the running for Player of the Tournament I believe after his performances at No 8. If he starts there, as he probably should, then Holloway would be a great addition to the bench.

T

TOCC

Nic White rumour continues to circulate, they he will be released from Montpellier to play back in Australia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It seemed to me that last year Pocock was more effective at the breakdown because he was making less tackles and Hooper was making more dominant tackles behind the advantage line.

What exactly would Pocock have done differently last year if he'd had a 7 on his back rather than an 8?

BH and Barbarian
In your, of course, humble opinions and taking positions in isolation please answer the following:

Is Pocock a better 7 than Hooper.?

A one word answer would be sufficient

I would really like to know your opinion.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yes. But he's also a better 8 than McCalman and Holloway, and probably a better 6 than Fardy.

Problem is we can only pick him once, so it becomes about the quality of the alternatives in each position.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yes. But he's also a better 8 than McCalman and Holloway, and probably a better 6 than Fardy.

Problem is we can only pick him once, so it becomes about the quality of the alternatives in each position.

Injuries can also play a part.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Thanks for that.

I personally don't think Poey is a better 8 than McCalman or even a 6 over Fardy. They all bring different aspects to their game.

When Poey plays 8, he is still playing a 7 role. He is not (IMO) a line buster.

The combination with Hooper last year worked well (at that time).

Don't reckon there is any real discussion re 6 - Fardy is the standout.

I certainly don't think we would lose anything at all by having Poey at 7 and Mccalman at 8.

Just my opinion.