• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Brumbieman God love you but you're clearly not an S&C professional, i suggest that we feel free to express our observations (I.e Sefa looks to have lost a step of pace) but leave the mechanistic theorizing to the experts

Again - what's the bloody point of posting on an anonymous internet forum if you can't throw wild speculation and uninformed opinion into the mix?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Im sure there's a little more to it ;)

But yeah, he's gotta shed 5kg at least of bulk, or re distribute it to his legs again.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm quite happy with Houston.

He may have been a fat lazy shite when he was last at the Reds, but that was after two seasons or so of labouring work and Maccas for breakfast, because he'd taken a break from the game.

He's very strong through the hips with a low centre of gravity, he's explosively powerful, is a decent-to-good lineout option, has great hands, is fast, hits like a train in defence and most importantly, gives me the chance to drunkenly yell "Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeroooooooy!" everytime he touches it. Name aside, he's actually very similar to Vaea.

He was picked as an 18yo to play in the forwards in test rugby, he's certainly good enough to do so now that he's got his head right and matured. He's got all the raw ingredients Cheika would need to turn him into a dynamic and dominant 8.

You just described the great number 8 Kefu. ;)

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just going to throw this out there for those championing Arnold also if you compare Coleman’s and Carters numbers they are almost identical.

Simmons numbers are also no where near Coleman Or Carter the only place he is in front is lineout takes which he has 65 not taking it away from him because he is good in the lineout but thats also because he calls alot to himself.

Also Skelton has 63 carries for a total of 57m gained....not great at all.
Comp.png

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I can't speak to Leroy's training commitment, but I have a strong memory of his time at the Reds.

There was one time back in the old QR Reds time I think it was after the 2008 Force game at Suncorp Stadium? Anyway, the Reds had one (fairly rare) and were wandering around the stadium afterwards to thank their fans.

I had stayed behind with my kids and remember watching Houston walking with Stephen Moore (a Wallaby) and one other player I can't remember, but definitely a more senior player.

Anyway, they were aimlessly wandering around the field, about 20m from the fence, chatting to themselves and just kinda waving to the crowd. Really shitty engagement.

Then Houston grabs both players and starts leading them over to the fence to a big group of kids.

It's an image that's stuck with me because I think it showed great leadership and awareness from a relatively inexperienced player, and moreso than the more experienced players he was with.

I think why he was a crowd fave in Bath, was in QLD before and will be again, is that he is so great with kids and fans - like Fainga'a level great.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So Powell is in the wallabies squad. Which makes him 3rd choice halfback in Aus.

But Dowsett is starting ahead of him in the Brumbies game this weekend. Which makes Powell third string Brumbies halfback.

And the Brumbies are coached by the wallabies attack coach - Larkham.

I'm so confused. Why isn't Larkham giving Powell more game-time this weekend?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think a lot is being made of Powell's inclusion. A few players have been selected with the future in mind, not this test season, to give them exposure to the playing group and the experience, Powell is one of those blokes. But good on him for being earmarked for the future.

Unless he has leapfrogged Genia he isn't the 3rd choice Aussie halfback.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just going to throw this out there for those championing Arnold also if you compare Coleman’s and Carters numbers they are almost identical.

Simmons numbers are also no where near Coleman Or Carter the only place he is in front is lineout takes which he has 65 not taking it away from him because he is good in the lineout but thats also because he calls alot to himself.

Also Skelton has 63 carries for a total of 57m gained..not great at all.
View attachment 7895

Not sure what you are trying to show.

Here's how I read the stats:

Ave Minutes per Game:
1- Coleman @ 76.55
2 - Simmons @ 74.82
3 - Carter @ 71.55
4 - Arnold @ 50.10

Carries per Minute (workload in attack):
1- Arnold @ .1
2 - Coleman @ .09
3 - Carter @ .08
4 - Simmons @ @.05

Meters per carry (effectiveness in attack):
1- Carter @ 1.98
2 - Simmons @ 1.98
3 - Coleman @ 1.68
4 - Arnold @ 1.00

Defenders beaten per Carry (dunno - impact? in attack):
1- Simmons @ .07
2 - Coleman @ .06
3 - Carter @ .05
4 - Arnold @ .04

Tackles per minute (workload in defense):
1- Simmons @ .09
2 - Arnold @ .08
2 - Coleman @ .08
4 - Carter @ .07

Tackle success (effectiveness in defense):
1- Simmons @ 92.5%
2 - Arnold @ 86.5%
3 - Coleman @ 82%
4 - Carter @ 74.20%

Turnovers conceded:
1- Coleman @ 11
2 - Simmons @ 8
2 - Carter @ 8
4 - Arnold @ 3
Coleman holds up well, which I think is why most people were calling for his inclusion in the squad (as were many for Arnold).
But the comment that Simmons was way off the others just seems odd.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So Powell is in the wallabies squad. Which makes him 3rd choice halfback in Aus.

But Dowsett is starting ahead of him in the Brumbies game this weekend. Which makes Powell third string Brumbies halfback.

And the Brumbies are coached by the wallabies attack coach - Larkham.

I'm so confused. Why isn't Larkham giving Powell more game-time this weekend?

can you tell us how much game time Larkham is giving Powell this weekend? Reckon I could earn some decent money off that info.

Make no mistake, this is a message from Cheika to Nic Stirzaker who most people on here will acknowledge has not played as well as potential (or history) would indicate he is capable of.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nic was back for the end of season tour with this just a subtle kick up the bum for a under-performer and reward for an enthusiastic and talented youngster.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think a lot is being made of Powell's inclusion. A few players have been selected with the future in mind, not this test season, to give them exposure to the playing group and the experience, Powell is one of those blokes. But good on him for being earmarked for the future.

Unless he has leapfrogged Genia he isn't the 3rd choice Aussie halfback.

I understand his selection for the wallabies. Potential.

Now I'm confused why he isn't starting for the Brumbies this weekend by the wallabies attack coach - who has identified him as being a future wallaby. What is the point of starting Dowsett?

So the wallabies attack coach doesn't think he's ready to start a super rugby game against the worst team in the comp, but is comfortable that he could potentially come off the bench for the wallabies if only one injury took place.

It's seems to me Larkham's plans don't align with Cheika's.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
can you tell us how much game time Larkham is giving Powell this weekend? Reckon I could earn some decent money off that info.

Make no mistake, this is a message from Cheika to Nic Stirzaker who most people on here will acknowledge has not played as well as potential (or history) would indicate he is capable of.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nic was back for the end of season tour with this just a subtle kick up the bum for a under-performer and reward for an enthusiastic and talented youngster

It wouldn't be smart to bring on your bench before half-time given the risk of injuries.

Therefore it's safe to assume Powell will get less then 40mins of game time.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think this could be Dowsett's last chance to get a Brumbies contract for next year.........

Powell is likely to get significant more game time than Dowsett off the bench for the remainder of the season.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think this could be Dowsett's last chance to get a Brumbies contract for next year...

Powell is likely to get significant more game time than Dowsett off the bench for the remainder of the season.

Now that's a reasonable assumption. Thanks Slim.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
99% of lineout takes go to the man it's called to. It's a meaningless measurement. Losses and steals on the other hand.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
99% of lineout takes go to the man it's called to. It's a meaningless measurement. Losses and steals on the other hand.

It is what made Mowen such a special player at Super level, he topped the lineout steals for the comp for 2 or three years. Not a bad effort for a backrower.

Tahs did very well tonight against the chiefs even in the period when they had Lousi and Skelton in the second row together with Dennis at 8 and Mumm at 6.

As with all aspects it is about execution and best using the native skills of the players and making best improvements in their weaknesses. Skelton has been used well this year jumping at 2 and winning that safe ball, using the more dynamic Dennis and Mumm to jump at the back. Why cant the same things be done at the Wallaby level?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cliff Palu was quite outstanding tonight in the time he had. Hopefully he still raises standards at training etc.

Apart from the dopey YC, which was really silly play. Some good runs, good impacts, and a lovely offload to Skelton for Hooper's first. Hard to see where you'd put him in a Test 23, given that Cheika will probably play Hooper and Pocock and it's hard to see either playing a lot less than 80. Cheika would have liked the attitude, if not all the execution.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs were Super aggressive in defence and the three Tahs Wallaby squad forwards that most questioned , Mumm, Palu and Skelton really stepped up tonight. It should be noted however that the aggressive defence also could have led to some more penalties, I saw two other neck roles/high contacts that could/should have been penalised.

I think we also saw a glimpse of how the ABs are likely to play their breakdown this year with the Chiefs tackler taking the space behind the ruck away from the tackled player but in a position to impede the players joining the ruck just long enough for the defenders to get on the ball. Also the taking out of players away from the ruck and holding them, Palu and Hooper were the big victims of this tonight.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
[quote="Groucho, post: 846370, member: 2040"I guess I should read the Bath Chronicle.[/quote]

You haven't?

What were you thinking?