• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Eh, I think this seals Beale as the starting fullback.
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. TK
14. Maddocks
15. Beale

Sure do like the look of that backline.:( One player from the top performing super side, TK, and then Kerevi and Koroibete are good, but the rest couldn't play their way out of a wet paper bag.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Christ, yes the Brumbies are in form but let’s not act as though they’ve gone 2019 undefeated or that their backs have been the ones dominating games, Brumbies forward pack is what has won them the games and most selection preferences reflect that with a Brumbies heavy forward pack, the backline for the most part have done the job required but aren’t carving up and it’s certainly not the teams strength.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Sure do like the look of that backline.:( One player from the top performing super side, TK, and then Kerevi and Koroibete are good, but the rest couldn't play their way out of a wet paper bag.

I'd have Banks over Maddocks. Maybe you could argue Lilo should be in there over Foley but it's still lineball for me. If Petaia comes back firing I'd get him in there but can't see many other changes.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
So after this weekend all aussie side bar the brumbies are done for the year.

When would we expect the wallabies squad to start assembling? I seem to recall in the past an initial group forms and then is complemented by the players from the side in the finals?

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
The single most effective selection the Wallabies could make for maximum benefit would be appointing Laurie Fisher as forwards coach. Not just for this Cup, but for the benefit of all non-Brumbies forwards over the next decade.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The single most effective selection the Wallabies could make for maximum benefit would be appointing Laurie Fisher as forwards coach. Not just for this Cup, but for the benefit of all non-Brumbies forwards over the next decade.

Does anyone know ifs he has, at any stage, showed any interest in doing it? I've never heard him say it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It wouldn't be the worst move, Lord Laurie is considered by many to be the best forwards coach in this country.

I get that. But I don't think RA get to draft him in, if he does not want to do it. I suspect he would not work with Cheika under any circumstances, and would probably be selective depending upon who gets the Wallaby HC gig after. I just cannot recall him ever talking publicly about wanting to do it. Happy to be corrected if anyone knows better.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I get that. But I don't think RA get to draft him in, if he does not want to do it. I suspect he would not work with Cheika under any circumstances, and would probably be selective depending upon who gets the Wallaby HC gig after. I just cannot recall him ever talking publicly about wanting to do it. Happy to be corrected if anyone knows better.

Yeah dunno, but it's a good idea. You're right though, probably no chance of it happening.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Not really. 5 Rodda 7 Hooper 9 Genia 12 Kerevi 13 Kuridrani would all be pretty certain too and I would be very surprised if Koroibete wasn’t 11. Nasirani at 8 is highly probable.

All of those bar Genia are on form.

I’d say the only positions which are really unclear are 6, 10, 14 & 15.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
From Mark Ella in The Australian 15/6/19:

I know Cheika has devised a new attacking strategy for the Wallabies and he may already have a fair idea of who he wants in the team but form and fitness must be given due consideration.

That tells me the yet to be announced attack coach will be implementing Cheika's plan, not devising one of their own. No wonder RA didn't need to select the person urgently.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
From Mark Ella in The Australian 15/6/19:

I know Cheika has devised a new attacking strategy for the Wallabies and he may already have a fair idea of who he wants in the team but form and fitness must be given due consideration.

That tells me the yet to be announced attack coach will be implementing Cheika's plan, not devising one of their own. No wonder RA didn't need to select the person urgently.

Doesn't mean that he might not be deep in planning with said person devising the strategy either. Who would know? If it is someone currently coaching in one of the Super Rugby set-ups, maybe does not want to distract from that. The guessing game is tedious, I agree.
I can't wait for the end of the RWC, so a clean sweep can happen, and a new set of conspiracy theories can be generated with the new team. :p
It will be interesting to see how the new HC goes about appointing a team - will it be a consensus from RA, or more "committee of 1" as we have had recently? The cloak and dagger of the Cheika era has become painful.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

But Laurie isn't even the forwards coach at the Brumbies. He is the defense coach and would be a whole lot more effective than Grey, so yep, get him in there but maybe as defense Asst rather than forwards.

B

Bobby Sands

But Laurie isn't even the forwards coach at the Brumbies. He is the defense coach and would be a whole lot more effective than Grey, so yep, get him in there but maybe as defense Asst rather than forwards.

Didn't Scott Johnson already say Dan McKellar is a very good maul coach, so it would be crazy not to get him to consult for the Wallabies rather than start from scratch?

Ie; lets use resources from the Super clubs to make the Wallabies more cohesive.

Source quote: "Johnson conceded a good example of a strongly aligned national system would be calling on Brumbies coach Dan McKellar to consult with the Wallabies on building the same powerful rolling maul they have at the ACT franchise.

"The four-stick concept is important and we’re going to tap into it,” Johnson said.

"I quite like the differences in rugby, I like to bring the skill of that. Because a maul is important in rugby, especially against the northern hemisphere sides. Dan is a really good coach of that. We would be silly to not discuss that with him.”

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not really. 5 Rodda 7 Hooper 9 Genia 12 Kerevi 13 Kuridrani would all be pretty certain too and I would be very surprised if Koroibete wasn’t 11. Nasirani at 8 is highly probable.

All of those bar Genia are on form.

I’d say the only positions which are really unclear are 6, 10, 14 & 15.

I agree that Rodda, Hooper and Kerevi are also locks for their spots. I don't think Will G is certain at all for the No 9 spot, based on his form this year. Koroibete is almost certain for a wing spot and I would think Naisarani is the most likely No 8.

On form, I think the starting 15 for the first RC game should be :

Slipper, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Arnold, Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (although Valetini must come into consideration based on current form), Hooper, Naisarani, Powell, Lealiifano, Koroibete, Kerevi, Kuridrani, Naivalu/Pulu/Speight, Banks.

I do not expect to see this side selected by Cheika - it won't complement his new attacking game plan whatever that might be. But rest assured, he will have Foley and Beale as the main players in whatever he's designed.

Apparently, the Brumbies have finished second on the try scoring table for the Super season. Not a bad start if you're looking for an attacking backline.

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, I think Genia’s form is patchy - as I alluded to above, but I reckon he’ll be chosen.

I won’t be worried if they give Powell a go though, or indeed White (not that I’ve seen him play, just from what I’ve read here).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McKellar took on "some" of the forwards work, but ultimately I believe Fisher was still the forwards coach as well as defence coach.........

Status
Not open for further replies.