• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I imagine there is a very good chance of Valetini being in the squad. He may have only just come back from injury, but he has successfully got the through a number of games, so fitness isn’t an issue. He was taken on the Wallaby tour for a reason and, if it is true Cheika is reverting to an attack strategy based on the 2014 Waratahs then he would be a good fit.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I liked the look of Valetini when he first burst onto the scene. The only downside is his lineout ability. That is one area that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) does better in compared to him.

But maybe with two very good lineout options at lock, plus Naisarani at 8, we can afford to have him at 6.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I liked the look of Valetini when he first burst onto the scene. The only downside is his lineout ability. That is one area that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) does better in compared to him.

But maybe with two very good lineout options at lock, plus Naisarani at 8, we can afford to have him at 6.

To be honest even as a Brumbies fan I haven't really seen if he jumps or not ? Does he not Jump at all ?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

On the other hand, Valetini would be the ideal player to hit the ball up one or two off the lineout. He runs exceptionally hard and is very difficult to stop. Could well be a more effective combination than LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in the lineout and Naisarani being the hit up man in mid field.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
To be honest even as a Brumbies fan I haven't really seen if he jumps or not ? Does he not Jump at all ?

Really doesn't have tp at the Brumbies, with generally two of the very best lineout operators in Arnold and Carter complemented by other much more than capable jumpers in McCaffrey, Cusack and Samu. Rob's role is to hit the ball up in mid field off the lineout and he is second to none in the Aussie conference at doing that.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Really doesn't have tp at the Brumbies, with generally two of the very best lineout operators in Arnold and Carter complemented by other much more than capable jumpers in McCaffrey, Cusack and Samu. Rob's role is to hit the ball up in mid field off the lineout and he is second to none in the Aussie conference at doing that.
Yeah, and it's not that his short I'm sure he wouldnt be a bad lineout option, as long as we have 3 jumpers and him we would be fine, and that can be Isi and the 2 locks.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think the key is that he is a viable option if they mark up our main jumpers and for the occasional change up. I imagine he would be fine for that.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Latu has been fined $5000 and handed a 4 game suspension. Will games of premier grade count? If so, he'll be fine to play in the TRC no?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Rugby Australia said Latu had already served three of those matches - after being stood down by the Waratahs - and the suspension element of his sanction would be complete after missing a Shute Shield clash for Sydney University against Eastwood this weekend.

The $5000 fine took into account "out-of-pocket expenses totaling approximately $7,000" that Latu had incurred with his court expenses", Rugby Australia said.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought I had seen Valetini jump in the Brumbies lineout earlier this year, but the stats don’t seem to support that, or it’s possible they’re wrong?

Or I could be mixing it up with time at the Vikings in the NRC, although he’s definitely down for a lineout win last year with the Brumbies..........

Anyways, 80% of the Brumbies throws generally go to Arnold or Carter regardless.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Latu has been fined $5000 and handed a 4 game suspension. Will games of premier grade count? If so, he'll be fine to play in the TRC no?

I'd imagine so. The plan surely would be for him to play as much footy as possible. Cant wait to watch QPR and SS this weekend there should be a stack of players back.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, Latu's final game of his suspension is this weekend Sydney Uni vs Eastwood.

It will be interesting to see if Cheika selects him in his first squad (which will probably be 40 players). I reckon if there are four hookers he'll make it, if there's three he won't.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah i agree that Cheika will give him a chance to prove he's up to it. I wouldn't be putting any money on it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.