• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
There's a few similarities between Sam Carter and Henry Speight, to my eyes.

While they are capable of being good Super Rugby players, they have never quite made the step up to Test rugby. Both are worthy of a wider squad pick, but I don't think we will see them in gold unless there are injuries.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/06/...E1iUTA0d40w8SLh5WSSK6RShLj-bspLUGAPQQRmidb89M

Spiro mirroring what many of us on here are saying.

It seems many in Australia want a Brumbies dominated side.

A slight diversion, but I can't remember there being this similar discussion last year with people calling for a Wallaby side dominated by Waratahs.

Funny how the Super Rugby form argument only seems to be used when it's your team in form.

Clearly the Brumbies should feature heavily in the squad, but as happens every year there will be a fair chunk of class players from other sides who get the call-up.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A slight diversion, but I can't remember there being this similar discussion last year with people calling for a Wallaby side dominated by Waratahs.

Funny how the Super Rugby form argument only seems to be used when it's your team in form.

Clearly the Brumbies should feature heavily in the squad, but as happens every year there will be a fair chunk of class players from other sides who get the call-up.
There's never a time when there aren't too many Tahs mate.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Another 40 man initial squad pick:

Props (6) - Sio, Slipper, Ala'alatoa, Kepu, Tupou, Robertson
Hookers (3) - Fainga'a, TPN, Latu
Lock (5) - Arnold, Rodda, Simmons, Coleman, Philip
Backrow (9) - Hooper, Naisarani, Jones, Samu, Pocock, Salakaia-Loto, Hanigan, Dempsey, Valetini

Scrumhalf (4) - Genia, White, Phipps, Powell
Flyhalf (2) - Foley, Leali'ifano
Centres (5) - Kerevi, Kuridrani, Hodge, To'omua, Petaia
Back three (6) - Beale, DHP, Koroibete, Naivalu, Maddocks, Banks

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I think the Brumbies should dominate WB selection.

They are not my team, nor my “second” team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What's the logic though? That they have had a more successful season therefore almost all their players are better than every player from every other side?

Is Henry Speight going to make the squad because the Brumbies have had a really good season or are Koroibete and Naivalu going to be picked ahead of him because they are considered better wingers?

The Brumbies will have at least half the starting Wallabies forward pack and probably 2 bench forwards. This is where their dominance has really been.

I think the Brumbies will have the most of any team in the initial squad but it won't be by a long way.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Clearly, there will be quite a few from other teams. But your argument about the form argument doesn't really hold water. People have been calling for changes to the Wallabies from game day 1 this season (and previously as well), but they were being met with claims that it is a long season and form at the rear end would trump early season form. Most of those arguments seemed to come from Tahs supporters who probably thought their team would suddenly rise to the top towards the end of Super.

On form over the whole of the year, the Wallabies team for the tests should be dominated by Brumbies. On form at the back end of the season, it should be even moreso. Other players who should complement them include Hooper, Kepu, Rodda, Salakaia-Loto, Naisarani, Genia, Foley or Cooper, To'omua, Kerevi, Koroibete. But I expect the Cheika influence will see a few more who are less than worthy make it.

Next I expect the old chestnut, form is fleeting but class is forever to make its appearance in support of a number of players who are really not playing to the required standard.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Interesting that you’ve got Carter for 89 run metres, and the SANZAAR rugby stats app has him at 337 metres... a slight difference?

Hey Slim, I used the same app for all players examined, so you'd hope if there was an error, at least it would be consistent for comparison. How do I go about the SANZAAR rugby stats? On their website I can only see info for top 10 players and when I search for the app on the app store the only thing that comes up is "Invest in Afghanistan", which isn't quite what I'm looking for.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My real concern is that the Cheika game plan and the Grey defensive system will cruel whomever is selected. Not in my wildest dreams can I see the Wallabies playing the type of game plan(s) in force at the Brumbies and no matter how many Brumbies make the final cut, the results at Wallaby level will continue to be mediocre at best.

We are near the end of the Cheika the Wrecker era and it can't come soon enough for the players, RA or the fans.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/06/...E1iUTA0d40w8SLh5WSSK6RShLj-bspLUGAPQQRmidb89M

Spiro mirroring what many of us on here are saying.

It seems many in Australia want a Brumbies dominated side.

He even calls Rory Arnold Australia's best forward, which come to think about it is pretty close to the mark.

Also the Ponies did not concede a try against a maul all year, thats incredible.
The Sharks had not conceded a maul try either, till the Brumbies run through them :cool:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
My real concern is that the Cheika game plan and the Grey defensive system will cruel whomever is selected. Not in my wildest dreams can I see the Wallabies playing the type of game plan(s) in force at the Brumbies and no matter how many Brumbies make the final cut, the results at Wallaby level will continue to be mediocre at best.

We are near the end of the Cheika the Wrecker era and it can't come soon enough for the players, RA or the fans.
Not really sure the Brumbies game plan would click at test level anyway. Most other nations will have at least parity in the forwards.

I think it was Laurie Fisher who was interviewed on the podcast earlier in the year noted that attacking mauls seemed far less effective at test level and was unsure whether it would translate well, just as an example.

I think their direct style would probably just be Wales 2.0.

I look forward to you ragging on the next coach who achieves exactly as much as Cheika has with similar cattle.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
What's the logic though? That they have had a more successful season therefore almost all their players are better than every player from every other side?

Is Henry Speight going to make the squad because the Brumbies have had a really good season or are Koroibete and Naivalu going to be picked ahead of him because they are considered better wingers?

The Brumbies will have at least half the starting Wallabies forward pack and probably 2 bench forwards. This is where their dominance has really been.

I think the Brumbies will have the most of any team in the initial squad but it won't be by a long way.

I dont understand where people get that Naivalu, has been a better winger, the guys lazy and hasn't been in great form, and he lost his speed when he got injured, his had a couple of good games in gold, but I'd play Pulu, Koro, Speight, Maddocks all in front of him. I'd also probably put Banks and DHP in that group too. Plenty of promise just never delivered consistently and not this year either, there was a reason he wasn't on the field last year.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not really sure the Brumbies game plan would click at test level anyway. Most other nations will have at least parity in the forwards.

I think it was Laurie Fisher who was interviewed on the podcast earlier in the year noted that attacking mauls seemed far less effective at test level and was unsure whether it would translate well, just as an example.

I think their direct style would probably just be Wales 2.0.

I look forward to you ragging on the next coach who achieves exactly as much as Cheika has with similar cattle.

Wales has been pretty successful recently :D

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Wales has been pretty successful recently :D

Funny how many NH teams go on "streaks" when they avoid playing the ABs for a while, sometimes years. Imagine the record of Wales / Ireland and England if they played the ABs 2-3 times a year, every year. Ireland have probably played them the most with decent results over the past several years. They would probably not be as shit as us, but I'd bet not a whole lot better either.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Funny how many NH teams go on "streaks" when they avoid playing the ABs for a while, sometimes years. Imagine the record of Wales / Ireland and England if they played the ABs 2-3 times a year, every year. Ireland have probably played them the most with decent results over the past several years. They would probably not be as shit as us, but I'd bet not a whole lot better either.

Agreed, but you can only beat what's put in front of you.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

In itself a reason to see the Brumbies dominate. From Nick Bishop: https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/06/26/how-the-brumbies-stampeded-towards-the-super-rugby-semis/

The men from Canberra are the only professional team in Australia, including the Wallabies, currently capable of making an effective plan for their opponents and then implementing it when the ground begins to shift on the day.
That process is a delicate one – too little information, and you go in unprepared for the seismic movements that are bound to occur during a match. Too much, and you lose clarity in a labyrinth of half-digested ideas. Dan McKellar and his coaches have got the balance exactly right in recent weeks.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I dunno - from my recollection last year there was plenty of support for guys like Naiyaravoro, both Gordon & Phipps, Robertson, Rona, Latu, and even some calls for guys like Cam Clarke, Fitzpatrick & Wells from memory. That’s on top of Kepu, Hooper, Simmons, Foley, Beale, Dempsey, Hanigan & Folau (not all of which were popular picks of course). So, pretty much a whole starting team bar 1 lock and two guys who play the one spot.

I don’t have a problem with a strong push for guys from the Brumbies who are in form. Most of them already have some level of Wallabies exposure and are really just moving themselves up the pecking order. It is not as if last years Wallabies had a great record to back their case. Whether or not a few changes are going to make much difference is certainly debatable, but I do think the overall quality of our squad looks stronger.

Again though, it won’t matter who we put there is we employ the same tactics. Particularly in defence.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hey Slim, I used the same app for all players examined, so you'd hope if there was an error, at least it would be consistent for comparison. How do I go about the SANZAAR rugby stats? On their website I can only see info for top 10 players and when I search for the app on the app store the only thing that comes up is "Invest in Afghanistan", which isn't quite what I'm looking for.

There’s an app called ‘Rugby Stats’ by New Media Publishing which uses the same data as the SANZAAR page.............

Granted, it also has the other players run metres higher.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Agreed, but you can only beat what's put in front of you.

Yes, but it gives a skewed idea of how good a team might be if they almost never play the best team, and certainly not regularly.
I think Wales, Ireland and England are currently better than us, sure, but not so much I would think we can't beat them. But I think we're a 5th-6th ranked team as a baseline, with occasional blips to around 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.