• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Foley will definitely go to Japan (although probably not in the first choice 23). While CLL will rightly be our first choice 10, none of the other options will work if he gets injured.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Coleman and To'omua have certainly earned reprieves.... but how much of that was based on the momentum of the game?

Fainga'a and Latu defnitely booked in for the RWC though.

White and Genia have a good tussle on their hands too.

And I think JOC (James O'Connor) will definitely be there.
I think the pleasing aspect of last night was that players were not only playing for the Bledisloe, but also a RWC place. Pretty much every player out there put their hand up for selection when given the chance. It's amazing what depth in as squad will do

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
An updated list of who I think is now guaranteed to be on the plane to the RWC:

Props: Sio, Slipper, Ala'alatoa, Kepu, Tupou
Hookers: Fainga'a, Latu
Locks: Arnold, Rodda, Simmons, Coleman
Backrow: Hooper, Naisarani, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Scrumhalves: Genia, White, Powell
Flyhalves: Lilo, Foley, To'omua
Centres: Kerevi, Kuridrani, JOC (James O'Connor)
Wings/Fullbacks: Koroibete, Beale, Banks, Hodge

I don't think To'omua has done much, but it seems obvious he's penciled in for a bench flyhalf/centre role.........

I've included Powell even though he hasn't played any tests yet, simply because I think they'll take three halfbacks.

Fighting it out for the last four spots:

Hookers: Uelese, TPN
Backrow: Pocock, Jones, Samu, Valetini, Dempsey, Wright
Centres: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Petaia
Wings/Fullbacks: DHP, Maddocks

With 13 backs most likely already locked in, only one of the above will be lucky enough to make it.

Hopefully we can see Samu or Pocock on the bench next week.........

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I don't think To'omua has done much, but it seems obvious he's penciled in for a bench flyhalf/centre role...

I've included Powell even though he hasn't played any tests yet, simply because I think they'll take three halfbacks.

With 13 backs most likely already locked in, only one of the above will be lucky enough to make it.

Hopefully we can see Samu or Pocock on the bench next week...

Yes your 27 probably right...I thought To'omua played alright when came on last night and did think he was in danger of missing out but now played himself back in.

Om the last 4, Pocock if fit is a shoe in. So lets assume he is on the plane. Jones vs Dempsey I would have thought and hate to say it but probably Samu will miss out if Pocock fit.

And reckon they will take Petaia or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and DHP.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Coleman and To'omua have certainly earned reprieves.... but how much of that was based on the momentum of the game?
Fair point, but then, in the past, guys off the bench have sometimes failed to keep the momentum going, whereas To'omua fit straight in and Coleman clearly upped the tempo.

Interesting that I thought that when To'omua came on we seemed to play off the 9 even more and he seemed a running target more than anything, but having JOC (James O'Connor) & Beale out there helped keep width in our game I thought.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Fair point, but then, in the past, guys off the bench have sometimes failed to keep the momentum going, whereas To'omua fit straight in and Coleman clearly upped the tempo.

Interesting that I thought that when To'omua came on we seemed to play off the 9 even more and he seemed a running target more than anything, but having JOC (James O'Connor) & Beale out there helped keep width in our game I thought.
Yes, against Argentina To'omua single handedly turned the game around in the wrong direction though, despite us having all the momentum when he went on. Everyone is entitled to one shit performance though, so hopefully that was his. Foley will still be on the plane, he’s still clearly the best back up to CLL if they go that way.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

I think Beale and O'Connor being attack-making options, on last night's evidence, will make To'omua's case stronger, although I'm not convinced he would be the best option to play a whole Test (e.g. if an injury occurred to Leali'ifano). I think To'omua and Foley will both go, but how they get used as alternates to Leali'ifano remains uncertain.

Reactions: TSR

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/08/11/wallabies-JOC (James O'Connor)

Good interview with JOC (James O'Connor)

He's certainly writing the early chapters of a great redemption story. Kudos to him as well. I was certainly sceptical, based on history, but as I said in the match thread, he is a bloody good footy player with an all-round game. We need as many of those as we can get. Happy to be proved wrong, and to see him back in it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Once again the Samoa Test will be after the RWC is named. That might force some changes and the forecoming Bledisloe Test team too but I'd imagine the team will be similar to this:

1. James Slipper
2. Jordan Uelese
3. Allan Ala'alatoa
4. Luke Jones
5. Adam Coleman
6. Pete Samu
7. David Pocock (c)
8. Rob Valetini
9. Joe Powell
10. Bernard Foley
11. Adam Ashley-Cooper
12. James O’Connor
13. Jordan Petaia
14. Jack Maddocks
15. Tom Banks

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Tom Robertson? HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Rob Simmons
20. Liam Wright
21. Nick Phipps
22. Matt To'omua
23. Tevita Kuridrani

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I don't think To'omua has done much, but it seems obvious he's penciled in for a bench flyhalf/centre role...

Hopefully we can see Samu or Pocock on the bench next week...
Not short on backrowers, are we?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Once again the Samoa Test will be after the RWC is named. That might force some changes and the forecoming Bledisloe Test team too but I'd imagine the team will be similar to this:

1. James Slipper
2. Jordan Uelese
3. Allan Ala'alatoa
4. Luke Jones
5. Adam Coleman
6. Pete Samu
7. David Pocock (c)
8. Rob Valetini
9. Joe Powell
10. Bernard Foley
11. Adam Ashley-Cooper
12. James O’Connor
13. Jordan Petaia
14. Jack Maddocks
15. Tom Banks

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Tom Robertson? HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Rob Simmons
20. Liam Wright
21. Nick Phipps
22. Matt To'omua
23. Tevita Kuridrani

Qwerty, I suspect you've probably got only one or two players and their positions right for Auckland.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Qwerty, I suspect you've probably got only one or two players and their positions right for Auckland.

He's naming a team to play Samoa in our last game before the RWC.

If the 2015 game against the USA is anything to go by you would expect the majority of the starting team to be the back half of our RWC squad. There will probably be a couple of players involved who aren't in the RWC squad.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Re that proposed squad, I can't see any backrowers others than Pocock and Jones being added to that squad, barring fitness issues. It seems clear from the consistent selection of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 that Cheika prefers a talk lock type player in that role (at least in the absence of Pocock).

TPN v Ulese is an interesting one.
Ulese's got such potential but he's clearly missed the boat in terms of not getting enough game time at test level. Plus he hasn't shown that he can play 3 games without getting injured.
TPN will be on the plane and he's a nice addition to the squad.

The final outside back is a tough one. If I had to guess I'd say DHP but he's hardy covered himself in glory.

Is there any risk of Kuridrani missing out? In the ideal world you'd have him as a back up to Kerevi, but I suspect To'omua will fill that role. After last weekend, I can't Kuridrani getting a start in any meaningful games and if that's the case AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s versatility is probably more useful in terms of rotating and resting outsides backs for the minnow games.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is there any risk of Kuridrani missing out? In the ideal world you'd have him as a back up to Kerevi, but I suspect To'omua will fill that role. After last weekend, I can't Kuridrani getting a start in any meaningful games and if that's the case AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s versatility is probably more useful in terms of rotating and resting outsides backs for the minnow games.

I think he'll most definitely go.........

Foley and Kuridrani are probably both in the same predicament, in that if neither of them start then they won't be in the 23 at all....

However, they're both far and away the first choice replacements in their respective positions and guaranteed to be in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.