• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
yep JOC (James O'Connor) was seriously talented but 13 would be once place i wouldn't play him, the only other player i can compare him to who had the same talents as JOC (James O'Connor) was Isa Nacewa, unfortunately Isa made the most of his talents, JOC (James O'Connor) wasted it away sniffing coke.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
yep JOC (James O'Connor) was seriously talented but 13 would be once place i wouldn't play him, the only other player i can compare him to who had the same talents as JOC (James O'Connor) was Isa Nacewa, unfortunately Isa made the most of his talents, JOC (James O'Connor) wasted it away sniffing coke.

With all due respect to him, I think JOC (James O'Connor) surpassed Nacewa as a player by the time he hit 20-21

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
With all due respect to him, I think JOC (James O'Connor) surpassed Nacewa as a player by the time he hit 20-21

I was thinking the same, both have a domestic title to their name, a European Cup to their name but one has 44 caps the other 1.

Both go down as some of the most wasted talent of a generation. One should of turned out for his selected national team more than he did, to test himself at the highest level, the other made some bad choices and stuffed up what should of been a 100 cap career.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
i meant Isa and JOC (James O'Connor) were the two player capable of playing anywhere in the backline, and yes JOC (James O'Connor) should have had 100caps by now had he not strayed..but club wise, Isa was better but internationally, JOC (James O'Connor) (though isa never played any international because he was pissed off for not being an All Black and took it all out on fiji). There really isn't a player out there right now that can play anywhere in the backline (maybe, just maybe jordie barrett but who knows). both were rare talents and both effed it up with only themselves to blame.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
Three changes are key... Coach, Captain & Flyhalf....
And please call in he praetorian guard as misfit turkey Clyne Cameron needs go back to banking robbing mums and dads... likewise Castle is a pause in much needed leadership she perhaps should purchase an Opel card and leave via Kingsford Smith...

As these two with Vheika could not sign Sean McMahon and bring him home to the Wallabies... they are all failures leave now fast

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Three changes are key. Coach, Captain & Flyhalf..that turkey Clyne Cameron need go back to banking robbing mums and dads. Castle is a pause in much needed leadership she perhaps should purchase an Opel card and leave.
Fuck me it's tiresome listening to people say this with absolutely NO answers as to who, who and who.

The only other option is Pocock and he was no better or worse a captain in his chances at the gig. Maybe Coleman? but his position should in the team should be in question, given our diabolical lineout.

Jake White seems to be the only available coach and he's a pretty bang average outcome for what would ultimately be a multi-million dollar investment.

And flyhalf is the worst of all. Everyone called for Beale, he sucked. Everyone called for To'omua, he sucked.

I swear people willfully ignore the fact that we dont have options just so they can have a good ol' whine.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
i meant Isa and JOC (James O'Connor) were the two player capable of playing anywhere in the backline, and yes JOC (James O'Connor) should have had 100caps by now had he not strayed..but club wise, Isa was better but internationally, JOC (James O'Connor) (though isa never played any international because he was pissed off for not being an All Black and took it all out on fiji). There really isn't a player out there right now that can play anywhere in the backline (maybe, just maybe jordie barrett but who knows). both were rare talents and both effed it up with only themselves to blame.
Reece Hodge

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
reece not proven at 10, 13 or 14.

Incorrect. He has played all 3 at test level. JOC (James O'Connor) has never played 13 at test level or provincial level in Oz. Hodge is the most rounded of the three and has the temperament most suited to test footy. Nacewa untested/proven at test level in all positions period.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Three changes are key. Coach, Captain & Flyhalf..

Interestingly one of the recent articles (can't recall where) said that in all of the post-season reviews, the bloke who received the loudest endorsement from the playing group was Hooper.

It could perhaps be that we internet peons may not know what we're talking about?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Having the support of the players is one requirement of being captain, and it's pretty clear that Hooper has this. However, things like in-game decision making and referee management are also key to the role, and Hooper has his shortcomings in both (not saying he is incapable, but he definitely has flaws).

Not that there's someone else who jumps to mind as a perfect fit for all three aspects of the job. Even if they did, they'd fall at the unofficial fourth requirement: being first name on the team sheet.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I like Hooper as a player and the example he sets for his team in terms of the energy and discipline that he brings. I think his decision making is questionable, but for me the biggest issue is that his being captain unbalances the back row. Pocock is a 7 and should be playing there, where he is arguably the best in the world. Him playing eight IMHO is not serving the best interests of the team and this is partly due to the fact that we don't have a ball running and line out jumping version of that position right now. He's in that position because Cheika wants to have two of the teams best players on the park at the same time and because there isn't an obvious other option. Shades of Waugh and Smith, which also didn't work in the long term.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Incorrect. He has played all 3 at test level. JOC (James O'Connor) has never played 13 at test level or provincial level in Oz. Hodge is the most rounded of the three and has the temperament most suited to test footy. Nacewa untested/proven at test level in all positions period.

i meant 12 not 13, stupid keyboard, and yeah he last played 10 in the u20's for australia, he only covers left wing cause he seems to have an issue playing on the right. 13 bar halfback ofcourse is the one position i think JOC (James O'Connor) can't play in the backline, Nacewa may not have played internationally but he has a been proven to play in all those positions..would have played more at 13 had the incumbent 13 at Leinster at that time not been BOD..but all super-utility (as i call them) have one thing in common, they may be good all over the park but they thrive at one position, 15 for Nacewa and possibly 12 for JOC (James O'Connor), Reece doesn't have a position he is good at cause personally he is average at 13, and Jordie is slowly becoming a threat at 14.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

I think most would agree that having played a position does not mean one is proven in that position. If anything, it could have proven it was a bad idea.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I like Hooper as a player and the example he sets for his team in terms of the energy and discipline that he brings. I think his decision making is questionable, but for me the biggest issue is that his being captain unbalances the back row. Pocock is a 7 and should be playing there, where he is arguably the best in the world. Him playing eight IMHO is not serving the best interests of the team and this is partly due to the fact that we don't have a ball running and line out jumping version of that position right now. He's in that position because Cheika wants to have two of the teams best players on the park at the same time and because there isn't an obvious other option. Shades of Waugh and Smith, which also didn't work in the long term.

Balance of a backrow is a nice to have. It is certainly not worth benching your second best player to bring in someone rubbish.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Balance of a backrow is a nice to have. It is certainly not worth benching your second best player to bring in someone rubbish.

Your options are limited. Balance in the back row is considerably more important than a nice to have. Without balance we have a compromise. That compromise may or (more likely) may not be worthwhile. Nor is bringing in someone Rubbish the only option, though Cheika did reduce options such as Fardy and Higgers.

If your intended structure is something novel, such as starting two openside flankers, onus is on the designer of that novelty to cover the weaknesses.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
If we had Naisarani and Fardy available, backrow balance could be enough to get Hooper or Pocock benched. But, instead, we have some prospect players in those positions. No disrespect to them, but they're not going to force Hooper or Pocock out by bringing more "balance".

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lets not rewrite history. Fardy went overseas not due to Cheika but for the experience. At the time he stated he was getting on and he wanted to experience playing in Europe and he knew that meant that he might never play for the Wallabies again.

Status
Not open for further replies.