• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I love the repetitious cycle of this each year.

At the start of the year a bunch of fringe players and rookies get hyped as starting Wallabies based on form. A bunch of current Wallabies get their card marked to never be selected again.

Invariably once we're about a month away from the first test squad being selected, a bunch of those players who were red hot early in the season have dropped off and most of the old stagers have found decent form.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

At the start of the year a bunch of fringe players and rookies get hyped as starting Wallabies based on form. A bunch of current Wallabies get their card marked to never be selected again.

Invariably once we're about a month away from the first test squad being selected, a bunch of those players who were red hot early in the season have dropped off and most of the old stagers have found decent form.
Predictable but also completely understandable, too. The Wallabies were fucking garbage (Ireland tour aside) all of last year. Really, truly bad. Seems fairly rational to hope for some fresh blood to step up, show some form in weak positions and hopefully improve our prospects.

You'd have to be made of stone not to get a little excited by the form of Quade and Genia.

Edit: although Quade failing to ground the ball in goal was distinctly unimpressive.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Kepu has been "in decline" at this time of the year for the last five odd years. He gets better over the season. He is also playing too many minutes in each game at the moment, in long minutes he gets tired, then takes lazy options.

That is less of an issue at test level

Each year the decline is bit greater and the other options are looking better. If it was any other year I think he'd be passed over with an eye to the future, but in a world cup year I'd be amazed to see him miss the squad. Really needs to get his discipline in check though.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
There will be no surprises with the Front Row - Kepu will be the 5th Prop (both sides) with Sio & Slipper as LHP and Ala'alatoa & Tupou as THP. There is noone else worthy of mention at this stage, with Smith (Reds LHP) and Ainsley (Rebels THP) the deep deep backups, and that is even is Smith would be eligible, if not, then Faulkner.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
We had fewer yellow cards than NZ at the 2015 RWC, and they still steamrolled. The yellow card recipients for Aus were Genia, Cooper, Kuridrani, and Mumm.

Kepu conceded 3 of Australia's 11 penalties in the final; not as impressive a showing as Toby Smith's 5 penalties off the bench, but still a good showing.

However, in the Semi Final, Kepu conceded 0 of Australia's 11 penalties. In the QF, he conceded 1 of 6. 1 of 12 against Wales (thanks again to Kane Douglass and Tevita Kuridrani for winning that game for us), 0 of 6 against England, 1 of 15 against Uruguay, and 1 of 11 against Fiji.

You may look at that and say "wow, Kepu conceded seven penalties in seven games, can we afford to carry a player who gives away a penalty every game?". If so, take comfort from the fact that it's true for props in every team; Franks conceded 6 penalties in 5 games, Beast conceded 7 in 7, Herrera conceded 13 in 7, Lee conceded 5 in 5, and Marler conceded 4 in 3. Props will be targeted for this.

If the swinging arms and dangerous play concerns you, it should. They're going to go hard on it this year. But I don't think it's serious enough to form the basis of your selection policy

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

We should do a graph of players/Wallabies who had the shortest off season v form in the first part of the year

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Kepu has been "in decline" at this time of the year for the last five odd years. He gets better over the season. He is also playing too many minutes in each game at the moment, in long minutes he gets tired, then takes lazy options.

That is less of an issue at test level

FP I gladly concede you know more about prop forward play than I do, but I have to record that Kepu's errors come from the very start of a game, not when he gets tired. I think against the Brumbies he lost the ball on his very first carry, and the errors continued throughout.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
FP I gladly concede you know more about prop forward play than I do, but I have to record that Kepu's errors come from the very start of a game, not when he gets tired. I think against the Brumbies he lost the ball on his very first carry, and the errors continued throughout.

The ESPN and Super Rugby stats don't show Kepu conceding a turnover against the Brumbies.

He had 13 tackles (second of all players) with no misses and the most run metres of any prop.

The problem was he gave away two penalties including the yellow card. His discipline has let him down.

The stats Reg posted a couple of days ago had him conceding four turnovers in four games which is too many for a prop.

Maybe your negative opinion towards him is clouding your judgement given he isn't credited with any turnovers yet you thought he had a few?

Status
Not open for further replies.