• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With a standard 5:3 bench, you're going to have one lock and one backrower on the bench. You're picking one of your locks and two of your backrowers with a plan that they play 80 minutes.

Given a combination of current form, incumbency and ability this is where I'd see it currently as our best 23:

Three locks:
Coleman
Rodda
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)

Four backrowers:
Hooper
Pocock
Naisarani
Dempsey

I would plan on Rodda being my 80 minute lock. He seems to have the biggest motor out of those three to put in an 80 minute performance and probably is the least impactful (in terms of being able to significantly up his game over a 30 minute burst).

I think the backrowers provide flexibility in that they all can play 80 minutes and all have strong impact potential. I would say Dempsey and Pocock are the two best impact options of the four to come off the bench. You could start the game without a pre-ordained plan of who would be replaced if everyone is healthy and just go with the flow and replace the one you thought was having the least impact.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I like Valentini as a prospect, but haven't seen enough from him yet. He's been OK but not outstanding.

I'm not ready to put him in a World Cup 23, though that could change if his form picks up over the season. To me he's behind Dempsey, Jones, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and maybe Hanigan.
Likewise, I’d like to see a bit more from Dempsey. He was fantastic against NZ in 2017 but has been good without being outstanding since his return from injury.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Problem is, there aren't that many locks running around better at a locks core functions, i.e. lineout and scrum. Simmons has the co-ordination of a new born giraffe, but his deficiencies around the field are a secondary consideration.

Lets not forget, Coleman oversaw the worst lineout in 30 odd years or whatever it was.

Unless a real bone fide lineout general comes out of the woodwork i think Simmons will continue to be in the squad. Rodda is looking encouraging though. Phillip and Jones also seem to be overseeing a solid lineout in Coleman's absence.

Rodda is arguably the best lineout operator in the country, followed closely by Arnold and then Simmons imo. Arnold gets the nod as second best for his unequalled impact in both defensive and attacking mauls.

Coleman is a very good jumper, just not a caller as far as I can see. Philip and Jones are also very good to excellent jumpers with Jones being a threat also on opposition ball.

I think both Arnold and Coleman are off at the end of the year, and I don't know how long the likes of Matt Philip will stay if he continues to be ignored for higher honours. Sam Carter is also away at the end of the year, and he is every bit as good as or better than Simmons when play around the ground is taken into account.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think both Arnold and Coleman are off at the end of the year, and I don't know how long the likes of Matt Philip will stay if he continues to be ignored for higher honours. Sam Carter is also away at the end of the year, and he is every bit as good as or better than Simmons when play around the ground is taken into account.
I actually agree. I think Carter and Simmons are basically the same player and Carter is somewhat unfortunate not to have earned more caps.

Edit: You definitely wouldn't have more than one in a team though.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Rodda is arguably the best lineout operator in the country, followed closely by Arnold and then Simmons imo. Arnold gets the nod as second best for his unequalled impact in both defensive and attacking mauls.

Coleman is a very good jumper, just not a caller as far as I can see. Philip and Jones are also very good to excellent jumpers with Jones being a threat also on opposition ball.

Simmons will obviously step aside/overlooked after this RWC as his time will have come. if Arnold and Coleman go, then Rodda Lukan , Hockings and Swain will be in the mix to take us through to the the next world cup. It's up to Carter an sc Phillip if they want to stay or challenge with these players or chase the better money OS

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
With a standard 5:3 bench, you're going to have one lock and one backrower on the bench. You're picking one of your locks and two of your backrowers with a plan that they play 80 minutes.

Given a combination of current form, incumbency and ability this is where I'd see it currently as our best 23:

Three locks:
Coleman
Rodda
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)

Four backrowers:
Hooper
Pocock
Naisarani
Dempsey

I would plan on Rodda being my 80 minute lock. He seems to have the biggest motor out of those three to put in an 80 minute performance and probably is the least impactful (in terms of being able to significantly up his game over a 30 minute burst).

I think the backrowers provide flexibility in that they all can play 80 minutes and all have strong impact potential. I would say Dempsey and Pocock are the two best impact options of the four to come off the bench. You could start the game without a pre-ordained plan of who would be replaced if everyone is healthy and just go with the flow and replace the one you thought was having the least impact.

Some good thinking there BH. I would also have Rodda as the 80 minute player, injury aside. The alternative we might see is Lukhan Salakai-Loto as one of the four backrowers, given that is where he has been most recently selected at Wallaby level. In that case, I believe, though I doubt it will happen, that Arnold should come into the locking mix because of his strong lineout work and best available maul impact.

One of the four nominated backrowers would then have to drop out of the 23. I can't see it being Pocock who is reknowned as one of the best and most feared No 7s in the world game, nor Naisarani who has the potential to be the best No 8 for the Wallabies since Kefu. Of course, if Naisarani is left out, it gives Cheika an ideal opportunity to play the Pooper again and that could very well happen. Won't be to the betterment of the Wallabies, but we do know just how stubborn Cheika is.

Personally, I would also have Pete Samu in the squad and competing with the fourth backrower, whoever it is, for the bench spot.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's up to Carter an sc Phillip if they want to stay or challenge with these players or chase the better money OS

Carter is gooooone.

I don't think we will have much of an understanding of the test team until 2021. Chances are we'll have a new coach, lots of current players going or gone. Look at our end-of-year tour forwards in 2017:
  • Allan Ala'alatoa (19 Tests, Canberra Vikings, 23)
  • Adam Coleman (18 Tests, Perth Spirit, 26)
  • Blake Enever* (uncapped, Canberra Vikings, 26)
  • Tetera Faulkner (3 Tests, Perth Spirit, 29)
  • Ned Hanigan (9 Tests, NSW Country Eagles, 22)
  • Michael Hooper (c) (75 Tests, Sydney Rays, 26)
  • Sekope Kepu (87 Tests, NSW Country Eagles, 31)
  • Ben McCalman (49 Tests, Perth Spirit, 29)
  • Sean McMahon (22 Tests, Melbourne Rising, 23)
  • Stephen Moore (125 Tests, Queensland Country, 34)
  • Matt Philip* (uncapped, Perth Spirit, 23)
  • Tatafu Polota-Nau (78 Tests, Perth Spirit, 32)
  • Tom Robertson (15 Tests, NSW Country Eagles, 23)
  • Rob Simmons (78 Tests, Queensland Country, 28)
  • Scott Sio (39 Tests, Canberra Vikings, 26)
  • Lopeti Timani (9 Tests, Melbourne Rising, 27)
  • Lukhan Tui (3 Tests, Brisbane City, 21)
  • Jordan Uelese (2 Tests, Melbourne Rising, 20)
I've bolded the players who I think are unlikely to make it in the world cup squad. That was only two years away from the world cup; how can we start predicting for 2023 now?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Some good thinking there BH. I would also have Rodda as the 80 minute player, injury aside. The alternative we might see is Lukhan Salakai-Loto as one of the four backrowers, given that is where he has been most recently selected at Wallaby level. In that case, I believe, though I doubt it will happen, that Arnold should come into the locking mix because of his strong lineout work and best available maul impact.

One of the four nominated backrowers would then have to drop out of the 23. I can't see it being Pocock who is reknowned as one of the best and most feared No 7s in the world game, nor Naisarani who has the potential to be the best No 8 for the Wallabies since Kefu. Of course, if Naisarani is left out, it gives Cheika an ideal opportunity to play the Pooper again and that could very well happen. Won't be to the betterment of the Wallabies, but we do know just how stubborn Cheika is.

I think if LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) stays in the backrow then it creates the highest probality of still playing Hooper and Pocock together. I think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Naisarani limits your mobility too much.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My take is that Naisarani is quite mobile and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) certainly challenges the defensive line whenever he runs the ball. Neither are a mobile as Hooper (who is?) but I'd really like to see the Pooper put to bed for all time.. I really don't think it has been a successful combination over the past three years, and any combination of one of Hooper/Pocock with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Dempsey, Samu or Naisarani will bring more to the game than we've seen for some time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Naisarani is a perfectly mobile number 8.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is not a mobile number 6 though so any backrow that features a less mobile 6, a normal 8 and a normal 7 is going to lack mobility in certain matchups.

There are teams where I think that would really suit. England, certain South African lineups and New Zealand if they aren't starting Cane and Savea etc.

A horses for courses approach could be good.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
We've seen Wales complete a grand slam by playing to conditions and to the opposition. If we are able to pick a squad to do the same, I say do it.

However, that requires a Biggar-style to complement Quade and Foley. If To'omua comes back fit, maybe? But who knows.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I like Valentini as a prospect, but haven't seen enough from him yet. He's been OK but not outstanding.

I'm not ready to put him in a World Cup 23, though that could change if his form picks up over the season. To me he's behind Dempsey, Jones, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and maybe Hanigan.

Valentini out for another 8 to 12 weeks with a different knee injury so no chance for the World Cup I would say same as Petaia too green and both injured.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The difference is that they have a lot of depth, and we don't. (I have to say that I would not pick those two porkies in the same team, especially on fast grounds. Eddie seems to have a small man complex. He is tiny, to be fair).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Another stats session. This time a simple one (although perhaps over complicated). Minutes played.

with the Tahs expected to rest Folau and Foley this week, and the Brumbies finally getting their bye, let's look at the minutes played this season.

So the first table is pure most number of minutes played. Brumbies obviously dominate as they've played the most games.

Next is the ranking by minutes per game.

Next is the ranking by minutes per game that the team has played (as opposed the individual).

So TK, Folau, Hooper and Sefa have played every minute of every game their team has played. Meaning, as Wallaby squad members, they are all due a 'rest'.

The rest of that same table aren't far off although Meakes and CFS, I'd suggest, aren't Wallaby contenders it would seem so shouldn't be expected to rest.

So the Brumbies will need to rest TK and likely Banks soon.
The Tahs will have to do the same with Izzy, Hooper and Foley (with at least two of those expected to rest this week).
The Rebels will have to rest QC (Quade Cooper) (I am assuming)
And the Reds will struggle as they have to rest Samu, Sefa and Wright (maybe?)

I'm going to look at front row minutes separately.

Mins.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.