• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Happy to hear who you think.

Phillips - If going to Pau, wouldn't bother picking him
Hockings - Gone
Jones - Gone
Rodda - Not eligible
Neville - Had ankle surgery but was doing very well and heard a rumour he is around next year. Age counts against him (31)
Simmons - Should be reconsidered due to experience and is around next year. Age counts against him (31)
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) - guaranteed.
Swain - Not as good as Blyth but has potential.
Enever - MAY be as good but not the potential of Blyth
Staniforth - Not as good & not the potential of Blyth
RHP - Not as good & not the potential of Blyth
Holloway - Not as good & not the potential of Blyth
Hosea - Nope
Mccauley - Nope
Haangana - Nope

So for me at this stage our best 4 locks that are worth picking would be:
Blyth, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Simmons, Neville.

*I'd pick Phillips if he is staying

UTG, Blyth is a very promising Lock and will be in the running for the test side this year or next the way established players are heading off o/s. IMO, often stated since the U20s WC in 2018, is that he is a better player than Harry Hockings. However, I cannot agree that Swain rates as not better than Blyth. Swain is now one of the better all round Locks still available, and imo clearly superior in the thick of the hard stuff, like controlling or disrupting mauls. Swain is also more aggressive in defense.

I also like the look of Hosea but he is a good year behind both Blyth and Swain in development.

In the absence of Philip, I would like to see the 4 Locks being LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Neville, Swain and Blyth. Blake Enever might also make another appearance or two at test time if there are injuries.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In an interview on 1news tonight Rennie said he expects Bledisloe 1 to be in Wellington on 10 October & there to be four Bledisloes this year. I'll put up the vid if/ when it becomes available.

Could be 6 really.

Pick Skelton. Rennie will turn him into a better version of Brodie Retallick.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Would Australia have a somewhat competitive team to have a 'Indigenous/PI Australia' team to play NZ Maori? I'd imagine we'd have to use some of the Wallabies in the I/PI Aus team though.

Means you could have 3 x Aus v Nz + 3 x I/PI Aus vs Nz.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Alan Jones' article this morning is as usual mostly garbage, however one thing he proposed that I liked the sound of, just for this year, is the Wallabies do a 3 test tour of NZ just like the old days. Or alternatively NZ tour here. If the latter were to occur the mid-week games could be something like Australia A, combined NSW/Qld Country and a rep side of amateur club players.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Alan Jones' article this morning is as usual mostly garbage, however one thing he proposed that I liked the sound of, just for this year, is the Wallabies do a 3 test tour of NZ just like the old days. Or alternatively NZ tour here. If the latter were to occur the mid-week games could be something like Australia A, combined NSW/Qld Country and a rep side of amateur club players.

Whilst I think tours are great, and I hope we can see some mid-week games in future years from touring NH sides, it won't work this year. Players will still be in "bubbles" to minimise COVID risk, so no chance to see the players outside of the tests. And both countries desperately need the gate revenue, so the games need to be split.

Double Agent

Allen Oxlade (6)
In an interview on 1news tonight Rennie said he expects Bledisloe 1 to be in Wellington on 10 October & there to be four Bledisloes this year. I'll put up the vid if/ when it becomes available.

WO, was this the interview by Scotty Stevenson? I've seen him tweet a few comments (below) from Rennie which sound very promising re working with a select group on building a new culture. But the video he shares is geoblocked here. Anyone know how to view it here in Oz?

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 1.00.08 pm.png

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ SA & Arg would be coming in cold. Can't see them being keen.

Well then you're looking at only 4 Tests the whole year? I think it's very possible only Aus and NZ get to play Test rugby this year.

If it has to be, it has to be. I doubt even I could muster the necessary enthusiasm for Bledisloe VI - Triumph Of The Third-stringers.