• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Wayne Smith reporting today that the tinkering to the overseas player rules could be the ability to pick a certain number (2 or 3) maximum regardless of number of caps. Soon to be renamed the Second Row Rule if that is correct.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
That's a pretty fair point.

I'd be bringing the likes of Lolesio, Harrison, Wilson, McDermott, McReight, Swain, Simone, Bell, Blyth, Gibbon, Swinton into the training squad, but in the end you might just run with this this year.

15 Banks
14 DHP
13 Kuridrani
12 To'omua
11 Koroiebete
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
9 White
8 Naisirani
7 Hooper
6 Samu
5 Simmons
4 Philip
3 Ala'alatoa
2 Fainga'a
1 Slipper

I'm with you Reg - particularly as it may just be the AB's we are playing - tough initiation. Those youngsters will learn plenty from being in the environment and hopefully have plenty of chances next year for bench positions and the occasional start, especially if we have a broader array of opposition.

bench for that team for me would be

16. Uelese 17. Sio 18. Tupou 19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) 20. Valetini 21. Wright 22. Powell 23. Hodge

Rest of the squad is more difficult. So many guys on the fringe. Youngsters with potential & journeymen pushing for a chance.
24. Amosa/Mafi
25. Gibbon/Bell/HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
26. Blyth/Swain/Neville
27. Wilson/Swinton/Mcreight
28. Mcdermott/Gordon/Prior
29. Lolesio/Harrison
30. Simone/Godwin
31. Paisami
32. Kellaway/Wright
33. Campbell/Maddocks

I wonder if even though they announce an 'official' Bledisloe/RC squad, will they want to/be able to afford to, expand the squad when training in Aus?

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm with you Reg - particularly as it may just be the AB's we are playing - tough initiation. Those youngsters will learn plenty from being in the environment and hopefully have plenty of chances next year for bench positions and the occasional start, especially if we have a broader array of opposition.

bench for that team for me would be

16. Uelese 17. Sio 18. Tupou 19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) 20. Valetini 21. Wright 22. Powell 23. Hodge

Rest of the squad is more difficult. So many guys on the fringe. Youngsters with potential & journeymen pushing for a chance.
24. Amosa/Mafi
25. Gibbon/Bell/HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
26. Blyth/Swain/Neville
27. Wilson/Swinton/Mcreight
28. Mcdermott/Gordon/Prior
29. Lolesio/Harrison
30. Simone/Godwin
31. Paisami
32. Kellaway/Wright
33. Campbell/Maddocks

I wonder if even though they announce an 'official' Bledisloe/RC squad, will they want to/be able to afford to, expand the squad when training in Aus?

Don’t mind the make up of the 15 although have said before the idea of fullbacks on the wing has never really worked so i’d take DHP out and put Wright or Kellaway in. I’d run a 5/3 bench. This is where I’d like to see some more rookies, therefore probably at the expense of Valentini to give Wright some exposure. Hodge while versatile hasn’t set the world alight and I think if given the chance some of the young blokes will go quickly last him. Powell remains unsigned with rumours he is off to the US. If we are going to blood rookies I’d blood ones who will be here so I’d throw McDermott in at 21. For me I’d have Lolesio at 22 and probably Maddocks at 23.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I have no idea of the machinations of making this happen, but I'd love to see a series between Australia A and the NZ Maori, or a Pacific Islands team of some description, or even a Baabaas team.

If the only out-and-out Test matches we play this year are against the ABs, it's probably too high stakes to be blooding the amazing batch of youngsters apart from the outstanding few.

But if you rolled out Aus A we could see how guys like Bell, Blyth, Swinton, McReight, Paisami, Harrison et al get on against higher standard opposition.

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wayne Smith reporting today that the tinkering to the overseas player rules could be the ability to pick a certain number (2 or 3) maximum regardless of number of caps. Soon to be renamed the Second Row Rule if that is correct.

Kerevi, Skelton and Arnold thanks.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Have you watched Skelton play for Saracens?

Yes, and it's still a big call,

he never performed at International level, and playing at Saracens where the front row always dominates and alongside one of the top 3 locks in World rugby makes him look good.

I'd pick Rodda or Coleman over Skelton.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

he never performed at International level, and playing at Saracens where the front row always dominates and alongside one of the top 3 locks in World rugby makes him look good.

It's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison though.

Skelton never performed like he has for Saracens at any level consistently.

You wouldn't be picking him because you're missing his 2016 form when he last played for the Wallabies. You'd be picking him based on the four years since.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Boggles the mind. He oversaw the worst Wallaby lineout in decades.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

The thing is he hasn't looked out of place in that team of champions and won the Players’ Player award playing as a hard working tight head lock. He now gets to see how he goes in a less structured environment and the other two?

Rodda at test level has workrate but not a lot of impact, whilst Coleman was really average before he left after looking like genius when he broke through

But all three are solid locks, my point being none are obviously better and I would be happy for the unit with actual form to get selected

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
Skelton over Rodda would be a big call.

Yes, suspect it's unlikely Skelton would be in the shape needed to play international rugby this year unfortunately. His form for Sarries over last couple of years has been outstanding. Has a real point of difference when in top shape, just needs to be picked as part of a balanced pack.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Phillip
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Samu
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. White
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Korobiete
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Daugunu
15. Banks

16. Mafi
17. Sio
18. Tupou
19. Neville
20. Wright
21. McDermott
22. Petaia
23. Maddocks

Think this is definitely our best team. Will Harrison would get bullied at test level, Lolessio could have a crack. Thought about the idea of dropping maddocks off and swapping him for Lolessio. Have opted with two play makers in To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor), have TK for the crash ball and a very exciting back three who can score points. I don't think anyone can go past the back row I have selected, we have some ball carrying threats, a presence at the breakdown and two good lineout options in Samu and Naisarani.

Thoughts?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^ not entirely convinced by Daugunu yet. Don't see the point in having two outside backs on the bench either (granted Petaia covers 13 - but TK will see out the game). I'd be tempted by a 6-2 split with another lock coming onto the bench (probably Simmons). If you are sticking with 5-3 then i'd have one of the young fly-halves on the bench.

Maddocks, like Banks, only covers 15 really, so not a great utility back to have either.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)

I really hope they make this change. I've been saying for a while the rule should be that the Coach can only select a small number of overseas players in the game day 23. Two or three would work. It's a better system because:-
1. we are quickly getting to the point where most of our best players heading overseas for cash are nowhere near the 60 test match threshold.
2. Most of the guys that have played 60 tests these days are past their prime. =
3. the above rule would have the same effect – i.e. that 90% of the players selected for the Wallabies must be players based here in Australia. Players will know that if they head overseas, it’s very unlikely that they will be able to be selected for the country.
4. Given the money differential now on offer, we are destined to see some of our best players (such as Kerevi and Arnold) leave on big money contacts right in the prime of their career. They have a lot to offer in terms of building the Wallabies brand. It would be nice to know that they won’t necessarily be lost to Australian Rugby.

I'd probably have a rule that the coach can choose 4 overseas based players in a squad, but only 2 can be selected in the game day 23.

I’d take McMahon, Rodda, Arnold, Kerevi.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Skelton definitely looks to be a better player than when he left, although I suspect he benefiting from being in a team with a bunch of other world class locks who can hide his deficiencies. Not sure I'd want to build a line out around him.

TBH - Hockings is more likely a guy I'd want to bring back into the fold in the coming years.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
^^^ not entirely convinced by Daugunu yet. Don't see the point in having two outside backs on the bench either (granted Petaia covers 13 - but TK will see out the game). I'd be tempted by a 6-2 split with another lock coming onto the bench (probably Simmons). If you are sticking with 5-3 then i'd have one of the young fly-halves on the bench.

Maddocks, like Banks, only covers 15 really, so not a great utility back to have either.

I'd certainly be picking him in front of Hodge/ DHP... Daugunu seems to be reliable and has serious attacking flair. Since Izzy has left, we have lacked the ability to score tries.
Daugunu/ Banks are certainly more likely to generate points over Hodge/ DHP.