• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
In terms of Australia hosting any test rugby this year, a non-TRC Bledisloe game might be the best shot.

Would not be practical splitting the Rugby Championship across more than one hub without a travel bubble if there are 14-day go-slows in both directions.

But a match outside that comp could be played at an oz venue if RA are good enough, should the need arise, (and there is a cash need).

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It's only the RC games being played in New Zealand and there are 4 Bledisloe's mooted so logic would suggest there will be 2 more in Aus after the RC. Both sides fly in to Qld? or Perth?, 14 day quarantine and game on.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
All that said, I think Blue's summation on his new thread on the matter is quite likely i.e. SAF and ARG say fuck that.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Not sure why you think unions are just quite happy to forgo a lot of revenue right now.

I think it's the points he makes that are reasonable. Neither SAF or ARG will be playing any domestic games this season and their better players will be contracted to NH sides. SO they would be sending an underdone 2nd/3rd string squad over at considerable cost. I guess from a development perspective it's not silly, but I'm not sure if would qualify as 'test rugby'. Need to see the revenue split though.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So 3 rounds of super rugby au played..getting some idea of wallaby selections

For me looks like Swinton or Wright for 6 with other on the bench

And with recent lock departures again if current form continues Simmons and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) front runners as starting locks with Phillips on the bench. Wilson looking for the goods as new starting 8 as well with ISI on the bench.

White still starting 9 with Tate and Powell competing for bench.

On 10 still see this year To'omua or JOC (James O'Connor) as the 10 or 12.

13 has to be TK. DHP or Hodge for other wing spot with

15 Banks

Hooker - Folau and Jordan slugging it out for reserve spot.

There will be talk of dark horses and ones below for me are some of those but still feel too early this year

Dark horses - Harrison (assume Noah injury put him out of mix for this year now), Ralston, Horton, Maddocks

Reactions: dru

Wilson

David Codey (61)

And with recent lock departures again if current form continues Simmons and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) front runners as starting locks with Phillips on the bench. Wilson looking for the goods as new starting 8 as well with ISI on the bench.

15 Banks

There will be talk of dark horses and ones below for me are some of those but still feel too early this year

Dark horses - Harrison (assume Noah injury put him out of mix for this year now), Ralston, Horton, Maddocks

Reckon you're way off base with some of these.

Swinton is doing well but is not above Samu or Valentini and if Naisaraini returns well then it's more likely Wilson plays 6 like he did in U20's than Swinton getting the gig.

White isn't playing rugby yet, hard to list him as the front runner until he takes the field.

DHP or Hodge would be a big mistake for the wing, there are so many actual wingers going well right now - Daugunu, Wright, Ralston, CFS (Edit: and Kellaway) and even Ramm look like better options. Assuming Koroibete for the other wing.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Going to be tough to leave out one of Naisarani, Wilson and Valetini. For me Valetini is a real test match 6 who does all the tough stuff in the tight. Wilson and Naisarani for 8 is a coin toss, pre-COVID one would turn in an outstanding performance and the other would follow suit. If Naisarani is ready then I think it makes sense for him to start at 8 and Harry to come on for the last 20-25 minutes and tear through tired defenders. That said, I’d probably be equally happy for Wilson to start and would be very excited to see what he could do.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Going to be tough to leave out one of Naisarani, Wilson and Valetini. For me Valetini is a real test match 6 who does all the tough stuff in the tight. Wilson and Naisarani for 8 is a coin toss, pre-COVID one would turn in an outstanding performance and the other would follow suit. If Naisarani is ready then I think it makes sense for him to start at 8 and Harry to come on for the last 20-25 minutes and tear through tired defenders. That said, I’d probably be equally happy for Wilson to start and would be very excited to see what he could do.
I think you also have to consider Wright for the 6. Very intelligent, gritty player and is a lineout option.

I think Wilson should start via the bench.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

15 Banks

Uelese hasn't impressed me. Core role of a hooker is throws and he can't do em very well. Not sure who a viable alternative is though.

I also don't think Banks is a certainty for 15. Maddocks could be included just for his kicking game.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Although he put in a few good kicks last night, I thought overall that Maddocks was poor...

DHP and Banks for me.
Last night wasn’t his best game, but he was best on field the previous two games. DHP had Banks’ measure in the pre Covid game. All 3 would be in the squad and possibly in the 23, purely because there isn’t a standout choice for winger after Koroibete. There are options sure, but are any of them better that leaving out one or two of those 3 players?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There are options sure, but are any of them better that leaving out one or two of those 3 players?

On the wing, I would probably take both Wright and Kellaway over Maddocks........

I know that Wright was in Rennie's "squad," and I would expect Daugunu to be included as well.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
All 3 would be in the squad and possibly in the 23, purely because there isn’t a standout choice for winger after Koroibete.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion, Daugunu and Wright have both been standouts in each of their games and offer a real point difference. Far better than putting DHP or Maddocks on the wing.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Not sure how you come to that conclusion, Daugunu and Wright have both been standouts in each of their games and offer a real point difference. Far better than putting DHP or Maddocks on the wing.
The conclusion is reached on the basis that although traditionally there are 2 wings and 1 fullback, more often than not nowadays in test match sides there are 2 fullbacks and 1 wing. I’m not going to argue the pros and cons of that but it is what it is, and logically it is to provide a stronger kicking game. Wingers are attack players, test matches are won on defence.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
And before anyone asks, Maddocks is tackling at 79% success, Wright at 70%.

rugbypass stats have Wright at 83% and Maddocks at 77% .... thats the thing with statistics.

Wright plays as a second fullback for Brumbies with Banks normally, while Kata stays home on his wing.

JM.png
TM.png