• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1. Sio/Slipper (prefer Slipper here but Sio will get it).
2. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
3. Tupou
4. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
5. Rodda*
6. Wright
7. Hooper
8. Samu/Wilson
9. Tate
10. JO'C
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Petaia
14. Daugunu
15. DHP
16. Uelese
17. Sio/Slipper
18. AAAAAAAA
19. Philip/Blyth if no Rodda
20. Wilson/Samu
21. White
22. Hodge
23. Maddocks

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I'm backing LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to establish himself properly on the test scene this year, he's so strong in contact now he's dropping his body height consistently. With his running and passing game, he could be our version of Retallick in time.

Fullback has to be DHP for me, assurance and experience. I think he's also the best under the high ball by some margin.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
On that, would love the following players to be sprinkled across the the matches one or two at a time on the bench for 15 minutes at the end:
Hosea - IMO he'll help us forget our traitorous locks
Campbell - very curious to see if he can go to the next level (sinking feeling he'll be a super super player).
Harrison/Lolesio - throw 'em to the dogs when we're 40 down with 20 to go.
Ramm - as a winger probably most likely to start and could be ahead of Daugunu or Maddocks and I wouldn't be upset.
McReight - I want to see him tackle Ardie.
Pone - haha big boi run.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
1. Sio/Slipper (prefer Slipper here but Sio will get it).
2. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
3. Tupou
4. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
5. Rodda*
6. Wright
7. Hooper
8. Samu/Wilson
9. Tate
10. JO'C
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Petaia
14. Daugunu
15. DHP
16. Uelese
17. Sio/Slipper
18. AAAAAAAA
19. Philip/Blyth if no Rodda
20. Wilson/Samu
21. White
22. Hodge
23. Maddocks
This is the exact team id pick but fuck Rodda off. Philip for me.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm backing LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to establish himself properly on the test scene this year, he's so strong in contact now he's dropping his body height consistently. With his running and passing game, he could be our version of Retallick in time.

Fullback has to be DHP for me, assurance and experience. I think he's also the best under the high ball by some margin.
DHP has to be the safer option but feel we have seen his peak and not much upside potential vs other options.DHP to start and maybe Maddocks on bench...

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think we sometimes overlook he was 21 when he made his Wallaby debut and still very green at professional level. I don’t think he kicked along as quickly as some of his peers and there has been this extended effort to turn him into a 6. But he is now developing his game nicely and has had a couple of years in the pro system to work on his shortcoming.

This has been a bit of a break out year for him. It’s definitely been his best Super season. But at the same time I feel like we are only starting to see what he can do.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Samu and Wright are both good, regular lineout targets. Hooker permitting, selecting those two is our best option lineout wise.

Not sure it would work. Feels a little light weight to me. But wouldnt be angry if those three got picked.

I will be pissed if Rennie does a Cheika on Samu though. Definitely needs to be in the squad.

Edit: also Dempsey is okay in the lineout and could compliment Samu at 6. Our backrows are looking good.

For what it's worth from last night I have Wright with 5 line out wins; Samu with 1 win and 1 loss. It's one game only but gels with my thoughts on their jumping prowess. IE it adds to Wright's qualifications not so much for Samu.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Having Wright at 6 also resolves any issues around captaincy. A couple more performances and he will be a lock in i think.

Hooper will definitely be in the team, but i prefer Wright for captain. He's just a smart bloke.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
For what it's worth from last night I have Wright with 5 line out wins; Samu with 1 win and 1 loss. It's one game only but gels with my thoughts on their jumping prowess. IE it adds to Wright's qualifications not so much for Samu.

I think Dempsey has been the best 8 but Samu is a great bench option as he covers all 3 positions. That said, so can Wright and Dempsey.

I'd go:

6. Wright
7. Hooper
8. Dempsey
20. Samu

With the caveat that I'm pretty excited about McReight, but he isn't going to displace Hooper and probably needs another year anyway.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think we sometimes overlook he was 21 when he made his Wallaby debut and still very green at professional level. I don’t think he kicked along as quickly as some of his peers and there has been this extended effort to turn him into a 6. But he is now developing his game nicely and has had a couple of years in the pro system to work on his shortcoming.

This has been a bit of a break out year for him. It’s definitely been his best Super season. But at the same time I feel like we are only starting to see what he can do.
Who was it that said they thought he would end up the best lock in the world?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Who was it that said they thought he would end up the best lock in the world?

Turinui reckons he is going to be the best #6 in the world. He's still young, I'd leave him at lock, he can transition back to 6 with more experience and when we get some bigger bodies in the mix at lock.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Samu also had at least one lineout steal.........

Reactions: TSR

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think this year is a consolidation year for LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) -- he was an 8 converted to lock, but then because the glut of Reds locks he converted to 6, then because the top two Reds locks left he is now having to convert back lock. If/when he finds some consolidation and plays the same position for a few years.

I'll be interested to see who the other lock is. I'd personally pick Blyth, but any number of them could easily be picked. I'd say Simmons is probably the first choice, maybe Stowers, Hosea, Phillip, who knows.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I think this year is a consolidation year for LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) -- he was an 8 converted to lock, but then because the glut of Reds locks he converted to 6, then because the top two Reds locks left he is now having to convert back lock. If/when he finds some consolidation and plays the same position for a few years.

I'll be interested to see who the other lock is. I'd personally pick Blyth, but any number of them could easily be picked. I'd say Simmons is probably the first choice, maybe Stowers, Hosea, Phillip, who knows.
Stowers no eligable. Also LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was converted to 6 by Wallabies. He was Red starting lock at the time